2Big Nas

Re: 2Big Nas

Postby aturgut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:30 pm

fvdw wrote:I checked the following

1. Do I have a copy of the lacie firmware for this nas
answer: No, I have not

2. How does the 2bignas boots lacie firmware,
It seems to do this from nand flash memory
This would mean if you insert a disk the 2bignas should install lacie firmware from nand flash on your disk and you are ready to go.

3.Can you boot and run fvdw-sl firmware?
Yes , but following extra action is required to adapt setup of the bootloader.
In the bootloader of 2bignas (uboot) the boot cmd is not standard like other lacie kirkwood devices to boot from "normal" disk structure from disk. lacie firmware on 2bignas uses a nexus setup.
You need to adapt 2big NAS bootloader to get legacy disk boot, otherwise it will boot from nand
It is possible to adapt the boot command.
Use fvdw-sl console and use option uboot console.
Follow the instructions how to access the uboot console in fvdw-sl console and let it connect to your 2bignas
When connected give these commands

Code: Select all
setenv LaBackdoor yes
setenv bootcmd 'disk 0x800000 0:6 ; setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 netconsole=6666@${ipaddr}/,6666@${serverip}/ root=/dev/sda7 ; bootm 0x800000;'
saveenv

Use exactly this syntax do not change anything in the command

after that give command
reset

to reboot the nas, of course it will not boot as there is no disk.
Now shut it down and insert a disk and you are almost ready to install fvdw-sl firmware (see below)

PS To restore original lacie boot command in uboot use this command
setenv LaBackdoor

4. Install fvdw-sl firmware

Use fvdw-sl console to install fvdw-sl firmware, follow the instructions for that as given in help menu of the fvdw-sl console.
However the installer in fvdw-sl console for fvdw-sl 18-1 doesn't include support for 2bignas installation
However if you want to install fvdw-sl firmware we can update the installer to support 2bignas installation, let us now

I would be glad if you can update the installer.
aturgut

Postby aturgut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:33 pm

"2. How does the 2bignas boots lacie firmware,
It seems to do this from nand flash memory
This would mean if you insert a disk the 2bignas should install lacie firmware from nand flash on your disk and you are ready to go."

I followed the procedure on the user manual, but it didn't work. I inserted two disks but unfortunately no luck. :(
aturgut

Postby aturgut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:43 pm

Now, I got confused. :)

Jocko wrote:@ fvdw
fvdw wrote:yes the firmware supports it but the installer program included in fvdw-sl console doesn't yet include installation for 2bignas (see previous
post)
No I do not think that. As all kirkwood platform uses the same package (fw and kernel) fvdw-sl console allows to install the firmware on a 2bignas as this platform is also a kirkwood platform (previously you compiled a new common kernel version so that 2bignas uses the same kernel) Then The user just has to select a kirkwood platform (eg. 2big network 2) when it runs the install script
But I do not check if the current standalone kirkwood kernel may be used on a 2bignas
aturgut

Postby fvdw » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:50 pm

Maybe there are just like the 5big2 and 2big2 two versions sold of the 2bignas, one sold without disks and one sold with disks.
The first version has nand flash containg firmware and secon one has spi flash without firmware. This because on diskless version there is otherwise no way to install firmware.
Probably you have the one originally sold with disks and spi flash. In that case we can only help you with installing fvdw-sl firmware.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:59 pm

@jocko

Yes in principle you could use firmware install of another kirkwood device in the fvdw-sl console (after adapting uboot setup) but the installer then will not install the correct script to install modules. Thats not necessary a problem the 2bignas will boot but only usb might not work. When upgrading 18-1 to 18-2 it will be oke again.
The kirkwood-3142-standalone-171 kernel supports 2bignas.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:09 pm

@aturgut
So you can attempt to install fvdw-sl using fvdw-sl console with 18-1 firmware and use a kirkwood device in the installer, suggest to take nwsp2. When 2. When it succeeds and the 2bignas boots and runs 18-1 upgrade to 18-2 using the webinterface
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby aturgut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:19 pm

fvdw wrote:Maybe there are just like the 5big2 and 2big2 two versions sold of the 2bignas, one sold without disks and one sold with disks.
The first version has nand flash containg firmware and secon one has spi flash without firmware. This because on diskless version there is otherwise no way to install firmware.
Probably you have the one originally sold with disks and spi flash. In that case we can only help you with installing fvdw-sl firmware.

Why do they do it? Is it because of the price of NAND flash chips?
aturgut

Postby aturgut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:23 pm

fvdw wrote:@aturgut
So you can attempt to install fvdw-sl using fvdw-sl console with 18-1 firmware and use a kirkwood device in the installer, suggest to take nwsp2. When 2. When it succeeds and the 2bignas boots and runs 18-1 upgrade to 18-2 using the webinterface

I can do it, just following the guidelines right? Without you changing anything or without doing the things you explained in your previous post?
aturgut

Postby aturgut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:28 pm

fvdw wrote:@jocko

Yes in principle you could use firmware install of another kirkwood device in the fvdw-sl console (after adapting uboot setup) but the installer then will not install the correct script to install modules. Thats not necessary a problem the 2bignas will boot but only usb might not work. When upgrading 18-1 to 18-2 it will be oke again.

That's good news! Is there any limitation on the hard drive? Can I use any Seagate 1tb or 2tb drives? Does it need to be unformated?
aturgut

Postby Jocko » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:47 pm

fvdw wrote:.... but the installer then will not install the correct script to install modules. Thats not necessary a problem the 2bignas will boot but only usb might not work. When upgrading 18-1 to 18-2 it will be oke again.
So there is no issue to use the current fvdw-sl console and also for modules as the kirkwood tarball contains already the files for 2bignas. After rebooting, the firmware will detect the nas as a 2bignas.

@aturgut
Yes you can use these hard drives and biggest. The install script will erase any partition table.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lacie 2Big Network vs2