2Big Nas

2Big Nas

Postby aturgut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:30 pm

Hello all,

This is my first email to the group.
I have a second hand 2Big Nas without the hard drives (previous owner removed them).
I wonder if I can install the original OS or fvdw-sl to 2Big Nas.
I try to check if it is compatible with your system but I cannot find any info.
Is 2Big Nas fully compatible with 2Big Network 2? Can you the same procedure?

Thanks.
Ali.
aturgut

Re: 2Big Nas

Postby fvdw » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:52 pm

Yes the 2bignas is supported in fvdw-sl firmware. I use one myself. It is part of the kirkwood family. I will post some info later today. Need to check if special actions are needed to install the firmware. In any case you will need the fvdw-sl console (rinning on your windows pc) to install it.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby aturgut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:58 pm

fvdw wrote:Yes the 2bignas is supported in fvdw-sl firmware. I use one myself. It is part of the kirkwood family. I will post some info later today. Need to check if special actions are needed to install the firmware. In any case you will need the fvdw-sl console (rinning on your windows pc) to install it.

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to your answer.
aturgut

Postby Jocko » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:05 pm

@fvdw

Yes this platform type is supported by our firmware (type=2bignas) like these other kirkwood platform
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby aturgut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:49 pm

Jocko wrote:@fvdw

Yes this platform type is supported by our firmware (type=2bignas) like these other kirkwood platform

If I were to install the original OS, can I use the one of 2Big Network 2 version, since I cannot find any for 2Big Nas.

Thanks.
aturgut

Postby fvdw » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:03 pm

You mean lacie firmware?
2bignas has a different cpu and mainboard compared with 2big2, if lacie did not include multiple devices in the kernel then no it will not work. As lacie uses rather old dedicated kernels and software packages for the different devices it is likely that this is the case. However I may have copied the lacie 2bignas firmware from my device before I installed our firmware. I will check that (Ivam not at home right now)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:02 pm

I checked the following

1. Do I have a copy of the lacie firmware for this nas
answer: No, I have not

2. How does the 2bignas boots lacie firmware,
It seems to do this from nand flash memory
This would mean if you insert a disk the 2bignas should install lacie firmware from nand flash on your disk and you are ready to go.

3.Can you boot and run fvdw-sl firmware?
Yes , but following extra action is required to adapt setup of the bootloader.
In the bootloader of 2bignas (uboot) the boot cmd is not standard like other lacie kirkwood devices to boot from "normal" disk structure from disk. lacie firmware on 2bignas uses a nexus setup.
You need to adapt 2big NAS bootloader to get legacy disk boot, otherwise it will boot from nand
It is possible to adapt the boot command.
Use fvdw-sl console and use option uboot console.
Follow the instructions how to access the uboot console in fvdw-sl console and let it connect to your 2bignas
When connected give these commands

Code: Select all
setenv LaBackdoor yes
setenv bootcmd 'disk 0x800000 0:6 ; setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 netconsole=6666@${ipaddr}/,6666@${serverip}/ root=/dev/sda7 ; bootm 0x800000;'
saveenv

Use exactly this syntax do not change anything in the command

after that give command
reset

to reboot the nas, of course it will not boot as there is no disk.
Now shut it down and insert a disk and you are almost ready to install fvdw-sl firmware (see below)

PS To restore original lacie boot command in uboot use this command
setenv LaBackdoor

4. Install fvdw-sl firmware

Use fvdw-sl console to install fvdw-sl firmware, follow the instructions for that as given in help menu of the fvdw-sl console.
However the installer in fvdw-sl console for fvdw-sl 18-1 doesn't include support for 2bignas installation
However if you want to install fvdw-sl firmware we can update the installer to support 2bignas installation, let us now
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:05 pm

@jocko

Jocko wrote:@fvdw

yes the firmware supports it but the installer program included in fvdw-sl console doesn't yet include installation for 2bignas (see previous
post)

Also a small adaptation is required of the bootloader (see previous post)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:12 pm

@ fvdw
fvdw wrote:yes the firmware supports it but the installer program included in fvdw-sl console doesn't yet include installation for 2bignas (see previous
post)
No I do not think that. As all kirkwood platform uses the same package (fw and kernel) fvdw-sl console allows to install the firmware on a 2bignas as this platform is also a kirkwood platform (previously you compiled a new common kernel version so that 2bignas uses the same kernel) Then The user just has to select a kirkwood platform (eg. 2big network 2) when it runs the install script
But I do not check if the current standalone kirkwood kernel may be used on a 2bignas
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby aturgut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:23 pm

fvdw wrote:You mean lacie firmware?
2bignas has a different cpu and mainboard compared with 2big2, if lacie did not include multiple devices in the kernel then no it will not work. As lacie uses rather old dedicated kernels and software packages for the different devices it is likely that this is the case. However I may have copied the lacie 2bignas firmware from my device before I installed our firmware. I will check that (Ivam not at home right now)

Yes, exactly, the lacie firmware for 2bigNAS. I want to give it a try, but at the end I will install fvdw-si.
aturgut

Next

Return to Lacie 2Big Network vs2