(SOLVE) Samba 4.x impossible to active it

Re: (SOLVE) Samba 4.x impossible to active it

Postby fvdw » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:08 pm

ngc2392 wrote:well, if i may show my problem regarding samba4...error states:
Fail: can not retrieve the package (203)

well, i guess it's related to donation-so, i donated :)

You are now added to the donators group and should be able to download samba 4
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby ngc2392 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:05 pm

ok...i don't know how this is related but...i can't run any of my programs now on my lacie. it keeps blocking me due to not having admin rights????? just before enabling samba4 it was working properly.
ngc2392
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby ngc2392 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:27 pm

well...returning to samba 3 everything works just fine. so...if i have better samba 4, windows would works better but i can't "do" anything since it's like read only. if i use samba 3, i can work but i will live with disconnecting drive all the time :)
ngc2392
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:51 pm

By design samba does allow only read write access if set for the user accessing the files and never executable. Executable means here executing the program on the nas. You cannot execute files on the nas by using a samba client. You should be able to execute a file present on a samba share on your pc as it is upliaded to your pc and runs from ram on your pc. However I am not sure butprotocols used by samba 4, being smb2 or 3 protocol may have some safety settings on w10 to prevent to run files from external source. Probably that why you get the admin rights warning on your pc. I will test on my pc to execute a program in a samba share of the nas to confirm.
Ps About samba 3, I guess you mean returning to samba 3.0.37 version, that version uses smb1 protocol. Actually samba 4 uses smb2 or 3 protocol
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:38 pm

I can confirm that it is a windows security setting

When you copy an exe file to a shared folder on the nas it will get by default read/write rights only
If you want to execute this file on your pc running windows you must edit security settings from that file in windows and grant executable rights
default setting.JPG

change it to this to be able to execute a file on your windows pc
adapted setting.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:39 pm

I verified this on my pc and 5big2 nas
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby ngc2392 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:53 pm

ok...i don't know how samba protocol really works, i was just saying that i was always able to run programs from network drive (i have installations of programs on that drive). if it really downloads install.exe to my pc and ram...i guess it doess.
as for pictures...i looked but i cannot change it...https://prnt.sc/vafmgm
something is wrong but what.
looking same settings on synology and there is read write access allowed.
ngc2392
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:40 am

Hi

First information, what you can do via samba server on a remote ressource is set by two cumulative rules: samba user account and linux permissions on the remote resource.

Also some actions can not be done according to the Linux permissions on the parent folder of the remote resource. For example, run action if no run permissions is set on the parent folder.

You can have such issue, if you copied some files from a shell session, or use Cron, resilio, rsync ,...

I think it is your case on data share where permissions have to be rwx for the owner but also for all
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Previous

Return to Lacie 2Big Network vs2