How to install the software on empty hard disks with a mac

How to install the software on empty hard disks with a mac

Postby KaLiLeNi » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Hi, I'm new in this forum. Recently I bought a 2big network vs2 without any HDD. Now I'll try to install your software, but I don't now how - the link at this site doesn´t work . I use a Mac, so I can't use Software for Windows.
Thank you for your help
Jörg
KaLiLeNi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: How to install the software on empty hard disks with a m

Postby fvdw » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:56 pm

..the link at this site doesn´t work...

please be more specific which link is not working ?

ps on mac you could run windows in a VM (virtual machine) and then use the fvdw-sl console
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby KaLiLeNi » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi,
I mean this link
Re: Installation procedure for 2Big network 2
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1532#p11130
KaLiLeNi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:59 am

thats a post from 2013 indeed that link is no longer available.
If you cannot run a virtual machine then the only way will be a pc running linux (for instance from cd , like knoppix but there are more distributions). Are you able to do that ?

You could use the howto-fvdw-on-nwsp2.. document in this post https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=336#p2043 for an instruction how to set up a system disk, I know you have a 2big2 and not a nwsp2.

When follwing that instruction you could use the 16-1 firmware image from here https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2313#p20325 instead of the 11-0 firmware image the in the nwsp2 package to write to partition 1,2 and 7 and the kernel UIMAGE -3142-NWSP2CL-14 attached to this post instead of the one in nwsp2 package to write to partition 6 (it has also nwsp2 in the name but this kernel also supports 2big2 and is compatible with firmware 16-1)

When you succeed to install and load 16-1 you will need to upgrade to higher versions using the firmware upgrade menu and the patches as described in the dowmload topic of this forum.

Yes it is complicated, thats also the reason why we advise to use fvdw-sl console
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby esousra » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi everyone,

Following up on this topic, it's the same 2big network vs2 without any original LaCie HDD; only a blank one, 3TB, inserted on left slot (watching the back).

I can run FVDW-SL console 6 on Windows.

First thing I did was "Flash U-boot", since I understand this is needed for supporting drives > 2 TB, with GPT partition table. All went smoothly as per instructions. Flashed successfully u-boot-3.5.9-2.0.6-net2big_v2-revD-2.0.6-sf.kwb, not a problem here.

However, when trying to "Install fvdw-sl firmware", with file "UIMAGE-414133-KIRKWOOD-1", all seems to go well until the Telnet client fails to connect in step 5.

The IP entered into the console is the default one, 192.168.0.252. But I never see this IP in my router's clients' list. I'm also constantly "ping 192.168.0.252 -t", never gets any reply along the way.

Attached is screenshot from last screen I see before Telnet opens.

I'm using wired connection on same LAN, Firewall on my PC is off. Besides, I can telnet without a problem to my home router.

Any idea why the NAS doesn't get the IP assigned?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
esousra
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:54 pm

To install firmware you must select the kirkwood standalone kernel...it is written in de instruction and help files
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby esousra » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Thank you very much, I got mislead by the "firmware" folder.

Worked like a charm, my 2big nw 2 is up and running now with 2 x 3TB on it.

I made a donation.
esousra
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Lacie 2Big Network vs2