2big v2 problems...

2big v2 problems...

Postby ngc2392 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:05 pm

hello guys...me too was foolish enough to completely wipe disks in my nas device. now i am struggling here with these how to manuals and i am lost...:(
i'd like to restore original lacie firmware-software-linux stuff on my nas. i started with fwdw console and that uimage thing. i selected the ip and started the program. but it stops when it should connect via telnet. i tried on w8 and now on xp but without luck. it holds there and that's it.
i have both disk in my nas...is that the problem?
and...with this process...is original lacie system restored or is this "tweaked" version?

thanks...
ngc2392
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: 2big v2 problems...

Postby fvdw » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:43 pm

which standalone kernel did you load ?

It should work as other members have used it successfully. So you must be doing something wrong.
When loading the standalone kernel there is no need to set ip address of the nas
The telnet server will only be accessible via 192.168.1.252 and 192.168.0.252 and if it succeeded ti get a dynamic ip of your dhcp server the one assigned by the dhcp server.

Normally a dhcp server use a netmask making only a limited number of ip's reachable. Typically this mask is set as 255.255.255.0
It will cuase that you can only connect to other ip's that have the same first three octets in the ip address.
If this netmask is used by your router (dhcp server) then to be able to access the telnet server on the the two ip mentioned above, your DHCP server (LAN) must be using 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx as ip addresses.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby ngc2392 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:55 am

well, i guess i am doing smth wrong...
ok, my network is 192.168.10.xxx so i figured that i must put ip in that range (i entered 10.150). so, i must change my network to x.x.1.x values? will do that.
i didnt start with kernel...i just load that kernel which is included with your loader... :thinking

oh..to clear things...in your loader i choose action-instal fvdw sl firmware and then i selected that uiamge xxx26394xxx. should i choose that action-standalone kernel load and start?

ah, still...with this steps i get original lacie or not? i am not so familiar with linux and that stuff... :dontknow
Last edited by ngc2392 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ngc2392
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby ngc2392 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:50 am

ok. i get things done. it worked. but..it is not the original lacie "look". is there any way to get to the lacie firmware?
and..as i read the forum...your version does not use raid functions? as i look the interface, the other disk is unformatted and i cant use it?
ngc2392
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:29 am

Hi ngc2392,

Yes, currently the firmware doesn't support RAID configuration. We think to do it for version 16.0.

If you want to restore the Lacie firmware, you must ask some help on the board http://forum.nas-central.org/viewforum.php?f=24 but I don't know if someone succeeded to do it for a 2big2.
fvdw-sl console must be used only to get a telnet access to build manually the Lacie partition table and saved on them the lacie firmware images, format partitions....

Otherwise, if you want to keep our firmware you must:
use the option menu: install fvdw-sl firmware.
create manually the partition table on the 2d disks and easy way can be to use again the fvdw-sl firmware menu but on the sdb disk.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby ngc2392 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:10 am

ok, i guess i'll stick with this firmwap.s.re then... ;) since i made a mistake to erase both disk (i also have synology and there is no such thing to have system on disks...) i will just live with this solution. which is at the moment still the best-consider that i dont have access to lacie before. better one network disk than none :)
just question...in firmware section (firmware update) there is an option to load lacie firmware. can i load some capsule from lacie with that or i better leave that things alone :)

still....thanks to at least revive my lacie to load some software there and use it.

p.s. when can we expect new firmware?
ngc2392
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:04 pm

ngc2392 wrote:just question...in firmware section (firmware update) there is an option to load lacie firmware. can i load some capsule from lacie with that or i better leave that things alone :)

still....thanks to at least revive my lacie to load some software there and use it.

p.s. when can we expect new firmware?

I agree theat the name of that menu can be confusing.
No it cannot be used to load the lacie firmware. It means this menu should only be used for lacie devices running our firmware to upgrade to the next version of the fvdw-sl firmware.

Th origin is that the firmware is also suitable for a Philips device. however that needs a different firmware. In the past we had two firmware upgrade menu's one for the lacie and one for the philips. But the newer version only show the menus dedicated for the device it runs. We should change the title to avoid confusion
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby ngc2392 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:17 pm

no biggie, i live with working lacie anyway :)
but, one question though...when new firmware will be available and with raid option...i guess that mirroring on second disk will not go as easy as i think? so, backup on third disk and erasing both of lacie's disk and then creating raid nad then copying back on newly created raid?
once again..thanks
ngc2392
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Lacie 2Big Network vs2