Trying to install new 2To disks into 2Big NW v2

Trying to install new 2To disks into 2Big NW v2

Postby manelppa » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Dear all,
I'm desperatelly trying to boot a LaCie 2Big Network 2 I bought without ANY disks.
Because of my poor knowledge on this subject, here is what I tried/^performed
1) I installed 2 clean WD Green 2To => nothing happened, I can't see anything using the Lacie Network Assistant
2) I tried to use the Network Assistant with Recovering procedure => main led blinks blue then red and after nothing more
3) After hours spent on Internet, I tried the procedure to install firmware on fresh disks with Ubuntu => no more improvement

Here are my questions :
1) how do I connect the NAS to my computer to reload any fresh Kernel/boot/FW into the 2 new hard disk ?
2) Which files / archive I can use to upload to the NAS ?
3) Can I use a LaCie 2Big NAS to preapre the Hard disk for the 2Big Network 2

ANY HELP WILL BE SOOOOOOOO WELCOLME :-)

Cheers to all
Manelppa
manelppa
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Trying to install new 2To disks into 2Big NW v2

Postby fvdw » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:08 pm

I assume you try to install lacie firmware. There are some topics in this forum that are helpful. Installing lacie firmware is not very easy but can be done when you have the right files.

Also you could consider to install fvdw-sl firmware (use our download forum). Thats more easy
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby manelppa » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:37 pm

dear fvdw,
Thanks so much for your quick reply. Ok, I will search for "fvdw-sl firmware". However, could you just let me know where should I start : NAS Connexion, which software to use, etc.
I know it's all question but I start from ZERO :-(

Cheers and once again, thanks a lot

Manelppa
manelppa
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:06 pm

You could start here by downloading the fvdw-sl console. That runs on your pc under windows and enables you to install our firmware from your pc http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2691
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby manelppa » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Hello FVDW,
Didn't work, but I'm sure I obviously did it wrong.
Here are the questions / assumption :
- Not sure I got the right firmware file because the file I got once expanded is named : "xfvdw-sl-16-1-xbig2-3oct2015.bin"
Is this OK ?
IP SETTINGS
My pc is wirely connected to NAS using CISCO switch, no router in between => Good / No Good ?
My PC FIXED IP is set 192.168.1.251 / 255.255.255.0 / no gateway => Good / No Good ?

I launched Console, then activate the menu "Intall fvdw-sl Firmware" and validated all confirmation
Then asked to select firmware file => I selected the file xxx.bin detailed above
then turned ON the NAS
the Uboot window pops up and displayed few information then closed after few secs
the Terminal window pops up and tried to connected => failed to connect to 192.168.1.252...

I'm sure you have ideas, but from my side, difficult to know ;-)

Kind regards
manelppa
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:13 pm

So you use a wired connection, for your pc do not use 192.168.1.251 as IP because it is also used by the standalone kernel running on your nas.
Use for instance 192.168.1.200

- Not sure I got the right firmware file because the file I got once expanded is named : "xfvdw-sl-16-1-xbig2-3oct2015.bin"
Is this OK ?

No this is not correct don't slect a firmware file, you must first upload the standalone kernel, did you read the instructions in the help file :tapfoot
Be sure that you select as kernel the one with kirwood and standalone in its name (UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-150-standalone)

After uploading and starting te kernel and connecting with telnet you can proceed with installing the firmware by following the instructions

Some remarks

Before the u-boot window close can you see in the window that the kernel is uploaded ?
The u-boot should change when the console interrupts boot process of your nas and some message should be visible in u-boot window. and finally several xxxxx to show upload progress of the kernel.
You should see something like this
Code: Select all
Marvell>> tftpboot 0x800000 UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-59
tftpboot 0x800000 UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-59
Using egiga0 device
TFTP from server 192.168.1.147; our IP address is 192.168.1.197
Filename 'UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-59'.
Load address: 0x800000
Loading: #################################################################
         #################################################################
         ##########################
done
Bytes transferred = 3123520 (2fa940 hex)

Please note that kernel name and ip's are examples, your kernel name and ip's will be different

If that not happens then the kernel is not uploaded and of course telnet can not connect.
Besides using a wored connection between pc and router you should disable all other network interfaces in your pc except the one used for wired connection to your lan. If there are more than 1 NC active the console will not work properly
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby manelppa » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:06 am

:-D :applause
I read all the help files, understanding was another thing :-)

Anyway, you were right : I used wrong image file and moreover used Virtual PC with Parallels Desktop...
The Stand Alone Kernel was fully copied and the script executed perfectly. I've been able to see the NAS although Assistant doesn't see it (the router IP address range is xxx.xxx.99.xx (maybe the reason).
Now I would like to add the 2nd hard disk.
I prepared the hard disk using Ubuntu and all commands as suggested in your help file. Is it also ok to proceed like this ?
The hard disk seems to be operational. Do I install into the NAS like this or I should perform something more ?
The end of this is near....
One last : Now the NAS is working, is there any possibility to re-install original LaCie Web interface ?

Have a nice day,
Manelppa

PS : because I fully understand the huge amount of work to release such a cool tool like fvdw-sl-console and all attached, it's normal to do donation which I've done today
manelppa
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi manelppa, thank you for your donation , it is much appreciated.

About the "Assistant" which one did you use? You must use the fvdw-sl assistant with our firmware, not the lacie one.
For installing more disk thete is also a topic in the download forum here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1271

About lacie web interface, no that is not possible with our firmware. If you want that than you need to install lacie firmware instead of ours ;)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 2Big Network vs2