firmware loaded but IP address not found.

Re: firmware loaded but IP address not found.

Postby fvdw » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:18 pm

mbr, gpt should not make a difference, also this has nothing to do with uboot. uboot just loads the kernel and works apparantly ok.
I see nothing wrong in the installer.log.

Lets see if we can do a manual boot in which we using the uboot console of the fvdw-sl console in which we can see loading of the kernel. I will post instructions this evening.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:04 pm

ok here are the instructions
Nas switched off.
In de fvdw-sl console choose action start tftp server after that choose action "uboot console". (Nas switched off)
Start nas when console mentions waiting for uboot.
Can take some time before you get message in uboot console window to press enter to get uboot console
When that happens click on the window and press enter, you should get a prompt line this
Code: Select all
marvell>>

In this u-boot console window give these commands
setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 netconsole=6666@${ipaddr}/,6666@${serverip}/ root=/dev/sda7

use the commands exactly as they are given so do not replace the parameters ipaddr and serverip leave them as they are in this command
PS the u-boot console window has a paste option (right click on title bar)
check if now bootargs parameter is set to this string
printenv bootargs

If they are as set previously proceed with commands
ide reset
wait till completed
Then enter
tftpboot 0x800000 firmware/kirkwood/UIMAGE-414133-KIRKWOOD-1

you should see the kernel being uploaded.
When done give command
bootm

You should see in the u-boot window that the kernel is started
If the kernel loads it should show you after mentioning starting kernel detailed output of kernel in the u-boot console window. If the kernel fails before netconsole is activated in the kernel then there will be no output.
It can take some time before the output comes. Try to copy the output by using the edit option of the console window, click with right mouse button on titlebar of the uboot console window, choose "mark" mark everthing by scrolling up and down, then choose "copy" and paste it in a new file on your pc.

In the attachment the output as I get it on my 5big2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby lacee2u » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:19 am

Hi FVDW,

I followed your directions by copying and then pasting the commands.

I was able to grab the log from the UBOOT/MARVELL.

I do see some differences but don't know what they mean. Hopefully this helps in identifying the problem.

Attached is the log.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lacee2u
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:35 pm

Hi

So no issue on kernel side, and indeed the boot sequence stops at the lan configuration step (related lines are missing in dmesg : output should be just after sda8 mounting report)
Note: I did not succeed to find a topic where a member had a similar issue with ifconfig command and I did not remember how we fixed it.

So we go to enable the debug mode on a standard boot to see if we have some more information. Stop the NAS, and select the action "Standalone kernel,load and start", and run these commands
mkdir /sda7
mount /dev/sda7
sed -rie 's/"debug".*$/"debug"\t\t\t\t\t=> true/g' /sda7/etc/inc/globals.inc
(use exactly this syntax) reboot the nas, wait ~2 min (to get for example some dhcp attempts) and stop it. Run again the action "Standalone kernel,load and start" and download these files
mkdir /sda5 /sda7
mount /dev/sda5 /sda5
mount /dev/sda7 /sda7
tftp -l /sda7/boot.log -r boot.log -p ip-of-your-pc
tftp -l /sda5/tmp/var/log/messages -r messages.txt -p ip-of-your-pc
Create an archive with the files boot.log and messages.txt
You should find them in the folder tftp on your laptop and post it

Another point, is it an old disk ? because if there are some damaged sectors, install script writes the firmware files on the same sectors at each attempt. This may explain your behaviour : maybe ifconfig binary or a dependency are written on a bad sector. You can check this idea by using another disk.

Note: if you do not have another disk, we will be able to use an alternative partition (sda2 or sda1) by writing the firmware on it to valid this idea
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby lacee2u » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:59 am

:-D
Jocko & Fdvw,

YAH!! I was able to load and get an IP and am in the interface! Thanks so much for all your efforts.

I used another disk (but had already tried several) but frankly I was able to get a ROUTER and set the DHCP IP range as you recommended (192.168.1.***). I set the computer to 192.168.1.10.

And it finally loaded on the first attempt with the ROUTER. My hat is off to you two as the interface is incredibly user-oriented and has tons of options. :hail

I still have to load the other disks and make a RAID and will let you know but it is up and running.

Only thing is I noticed the fan stops after loading (one disk). Is it temperature controlled (I hope)?I can pull a log if needed.

I made a donation earlier and will add another.
lacee2u
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:53 am

:thumbup finally, glad to hear you got it working.
About the fan, it is the expected behavior. It is temperature controlled. It uses the temperature of the disk to control fan speed. See temp guard in the web interface. At boot the kernel starts the fan at max speed when firmware is loaded the temperature guard comes in and sets speed dependent on disk temperature as after boot the disk is cold it switches off the fan.

Still curious why in your setup getting an ip failed on regular kernel while standalone kernel was able to get one.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:29 am

fvdw wrote:Still curious why in your setup getting an ip failed on regular kernel while standalone kernel was able to get one.
fvdw wrote:Still curious why in your setup getting an ip failed on regular kernel while standalone kernel was able to get one.
Not amazing because the nas gets its ip not by requesting the dhcp server but with standalone kernel it builds itself its IP from the laptop IP (set xxx.xxx.xxx.252 or 251). With the regular kernel, it gets by default its IP from dhcp server. So it seems with your previous router, the firmware failed to exchange requests with the DHCP server of this router.

Please to note with you new router you should use your previous subnet (169.254.3). Are you sure a dchp server was activated on your previous router ?
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:47 pm

Yes I came to same conclusion
I think that may be the reason on the ip issue.
The standalone kernel does a limited amount of tries to get a ip from a dhcp server. If these fail it set manually a few static ip's in the range from the IP of the sender that interrupted uboot.
The regular kernel seems to keep trying to get an ip from the dhcp server and so hangs on initializing lan as long as dhcp server doesn't respond. Need to check this out. I thought if in regular kernel no dhcp server responds it sets an 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address.

Ps lacee2u mentioned a few post ago that he didn't had a dhcp server in his original setup just using a simple switch.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby lacee2u » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:00 pm

Yes it seems that the standalone does fine but the firmware needs a DHCP server.

I had no router prior to this, just a hub and static IP addresses. I also set the laptop to auto IP (it assigned 169.254.###) but that did not work either. Only using a router worked (I set 192.168.1.1 - 254 for the DHCP). The router I ended up using was so old (D-Link DIR-655) it would not set a date newer than 2019 so I set the laptop (win7) to 2019 as well.

I have now loaded the firmware on 3 different drives including the original ones I tried (that failed). Works EVERY TIME with it going through the router (in contrast to about 20 failures without it).

Again thanks very much for your efforts. And thanks for the information on the fan, that is a relief. :applause
lacee2u
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Previous

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2