Plans on backup server

Plans on backup server

Postby kawaiicoconut » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:40 pm

I'm planning to buy 4x 4TB disks to set up a Raid5 for Windows File History and shadow copies, is this device reliable enough for this task? (I've had it running 24/7 for almost a year for Transmission and no problems so far, no lost data, nothing and the power supply Im using is far from reliable) Setting all the computers on my house to use it as I've recently had a human error mishap that otherwise could have been avoided and lost the entirety of 2 years of my brother's career files. There are some key doubts I have
    In case of total HW failure (Dead motherboard or something not disk related) what are the chances of mounting/rebuilding the RAID on a different system. is it the same across NAS manufacturers?
    What services besides SMB could it run without any performance penalty (currently thinking on Transmission+DLNA)
    will SMART status update periodically or I have to refresh it from the control panel?
kawaiicoconut
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Plans on backup server

Postby Jocko » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:32 am

Hi

I use a 5big2 for many years without issue. I advice to use an inverter if you set a raid. Indeed some times you may lose its redundancy on power failure (when it was writing some data) and then performance are degraded during resynchronization (several hours).

kawaiicoconut wrote:In case of total HW failure (Dead motherboard or something not disk related) what are the chances of mounting/rebuilding the RAID on a different system. is it the same across NAS manufacturers?
Yes you can easily rebuild a raid (if you have enough sata port, at least 4) on a linux or mac OS, about linux or you can use for example a virtual host on your windows machine. mdadm command to assemble the raid should be present on these OS.
kawaiicoconut wrote:What services besides SMB could it run without any performance penalty (currently thinking on Transmission+DLNA)
when there is no streaming, dlna server consumes tiny resources. Same behaviour with transmission but according with your settings (up/download max speed, max peer connections) performance may collapse (cpu, get lan access or read/write disk access)

When you use a raid, mdadm monitor is running and if it detects a disk failure, you have a warning from fw web interface, red/blue LED are blinking. If you set a mail service it sends also a message
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Re: Plans on backup server

Postby kawaiicoconut » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:09 pm

Thank you. I will go on with the project
kawaiicoconut
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2