Nas died, What about raid 5 disks?

Nas died, What about raid 5 disks?

Postby Draftmancorp » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:21 pm

Hi guys...
i'm very bad lucky one.
After many many many hours of work for fixing my Nas in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3600 (very thanks to @jocko) that Nas is definitive dead. Supercapacitor 2.5v blow up and cpu in short circuit. i've testet all the mini capacitors, one week, and the short is in the chip...

So, now, the real problem... inside that Nas there was a 5disks RAID5 configuration.
I have another 2 Lacie 5Big N2 with FVDW last firmware 18.2 patched... do you think that i can put those 5 disks inside one of the 2 nas and see the RAID correctly?

:elec)
Draftmancorp
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Nas died, What about raid 5 disks?

Postby Draftmancorp » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:45 pm

in alternative...

If i use a sata adapter for raspberry pi 4 and connect the 5 disks to the raspberry and install on it the fvdw firmware ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3126 ) do you think that it can read the RAID5 and use it like lacie did?
Draftmancorp
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:05 pm

Hi
Draftmancorp wrote: have another 2 Lacie 5Big N2 with FVDW last firmware 18.2 patched... do you think that i can put those 5 disks inside one of the 2 nas and see the RAID correctly?
Yes it is the easiest way to restore your raid but you must keep the same disks arrangement in their slot.

Draftmancorp wrote:If i use a sata adapter for raspberry pi 4 and connect the 5 disks to the raspberry and install on it the fvdw firmware ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3126 ) do you think that it can read the RAID5 and use it like lacie did?
Yes you can do it but I think you should assemble manually the raid after rebooting, for example not sure the current sda is still the former sda disk
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Draftmancorp » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:09 pm

Jocko wrote:Hi
Draftmancorp wrote: have another 2 Lacie 5Big N2 with FVDW last firmware 18.2 patched... do you think that i can put those 5 disks inside one of the 2 nas and see the RAID correctly?
Yes it is the easiest way to restore your raid but you must keep the same disks arrangement in their slot.

Draftmancorp wrote:If i use a sata adapter for raspberry pi 4 and connect the 5 disks to the raspberry and install on it the fvdw firmware ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3126 ) do you think that it can read the RAID5 and use it like lacie did?
Yes you can do it but I think you should assemble manually the raid after rebooting, for example not sure the current sda is still the former sda disk

OK, so the easyest way i thinkis this:

1) I remove the disks from within the other Nas (as them are 5 empty disks).
2) Then i insert in that other nas the 5 RAID5 disks from that blow up Nas. So, in this way, the other Nas can reckognize the Raid without rebuild manually nothing and i can use it just in a minutes.
3) The empty disks from the other nas...mmm... so, as them are empty, I can using them with a raspberry with fvdw firmware and sata hub interface. In this way i can connect the 5 empty disk with sata hub to the raspberry and then, I can create a FRESH NEW RAID5 from fvdw interface.

Can it work? (i never see the fvdw interface from a raspberry, so i donìt know if i can create raid configuration with a sata hub interface).
Draftmancorp
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:43 pm

Yes you can do these 3 points.

From the web-interface of your rspbi you can build directly a raid from usb ports
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Draftmancorp » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:30 pm

Jocko wrote:Yes you can do these 3 points.

From the web-interface of your rspbi you can build directly a raid from usb ports

super cool, thanks @jocko!!
Draftmancorp
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2