Slow connection via ssh

Slow connection via ssh

Postby towerthepower » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:30 am

Hi everybody,

I configured one of my Lacie 5big v2 with the fvdw-sl 18 firmware and I would like to use the unit as backup place, using rsync from another NAS in the network and synchronizing the data every night or so.

The command I perform is like: rsync -a -P myfolder/ root@192.168.1.XXX:/share/1100/Backup/
I also tried with scp but nothing changed, after all rsync is based on scp...

I noticed that the maximum speed I can get is around 1.5MB/s (so around 15-20mbps) if within the same network, while if I try to send data from the internet (1Gbps uplink) it drops to 3-400kbps. Is this normal, or do you have any suggestion how to increase the writing speed?
Everything at home is connected at least to 1Gbps, also shown in the Lacie GUI.

Thank you!
towerthepower
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Slow connection via ssh

Postby Jocko » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:16 pm

Hi

Indeed 5big2 use a poorish CPU. So as the option -a includes the option '-z' which asks to compress first the data before sending them, this slows the speed transfer in such a case.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby towerthepower » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:39 pm

Thank you Jocko, I made many tests but the connection is still very slow. I found a workaround that may be helpful for others, so I will post it here.

I needed to copy data from my house to my parents house, therefore I setup a no-ip service in order to have always the current IP of my parents' without having to ask every time. Port 22 has been opened on the firewall for my static IP.
Since the connection via rsync and scp was really slow, but I noticed that when copying the files via smb it was way faster (around 1gbps) compared to rsync, I initially tought to use directly the SMB protocol. Sharing smb folders over the internet is quite dangerous, so I mounted the folder on the rasperrypi and now I can sync from my house to the destination through it.

I had just few issues regarding the folder permissions, since on the raspberry I disabled the root account login, but the folder was mapped with root permissions, I had to grant the permissions to my user for the mounted folder:

mount -t cifs -o username=myuser,uid=1001,gid=1001 //192.168.1.XXX/Backup /mnt/lacie/

where 1001 is my userID on "cat /etc/passwd"
towerthepower
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:18 am

Hi

Yes we know that. And you can find a submenu "Mount a remote share" from the backup menu to do what you made manually ;)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2