[Solved]5Big Network2 RAID5 Disk-A initialisation

[Solved]5Big Network2 RAID5 Disk-A initialisation

Postby Kippara » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:22 am

I have set my 5Big Network2 up as RAID5 which has been working fine. The NAS has a steady bluelight on front and steady red lights on the 5 disks on the back. The NAS boots OK but no longer shows a RAID5 and that Disk-A needs to be re-initialised. My question is that if I do that and rebuild my RAID5 will I loose all my data? If the answer is yes is there a way for me to save my data?
Should I replace the four good drives with same spec drives , re-initialise Disk-A and then put the original drives back and rebuild the RAID5 again?
Should I remove the four good drives, initialise Disk-A, put the good drives back again and then rebuild the RAID5 array?
Kippara
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: 5Big Network2 RAID5 Disk-A initialisation

Postby Jocko » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:26 pm

Hi,

Kippara wrote:The NAS boots OK but no longer shows a RAID5 and that Disk-A needs to be re-initialised.
why you think that? if the nas boots rightly, then disk-A does not need to be reinitialized.
Kippara wrote: My question is that if I do that and rebuild my RAID5 will I loose all my data?
Yes, you lose your data on such an action.

Kippara wrote:Should I replace the four good drives with same spec drives , re-initialise Disk-A and then put the original drives back and rebuild the RAID5 again?
Should I remove the four good drives, initialise Disk-A, put the good drives back again and then rebuild the RAID5 array?
before doing something, we need to check nas state.

So open a shell window, and post these outputs
Code: Select all
cat /boot.log
mount
cat /proc/mdstat
mdadm --examine /dev/sd[abcde]8
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Re: 5Big Network2 RAID5 Disk-A initialisation

Postby Kippara » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:07 am

Thanks for that Jocko. My bad! If I had read my labels on the disks and put them in the correct NAS I wouldn't have had the problem. All is working correctly now. How do I close the post?
Kippara
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

[Solved] 5Big Network2 RAID5 Disk-A initialisation

Postby Jocko » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:33 am

Ok

It is done...
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2