Help building Raid5 after setup

Help building Raid5 after setup

Postby metti » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:28 am

Hey everybody

i sucessfully installed fvdw-sl on my Lacie 5big Network 2.
i kept all disks inside while installing fvdw-sl. It seems like fvdw-sl has installed itself on /dev/sda (only the first of 5 disks).

Now i want to create a raid5 including disk1 (where fvdw-sl is installed). but the disk i can select there just shows up as 500GB. (Maybe partitioned by fvdw-sl).

Is it generally possible to have a raid5 with all 5 disks? Or does fvdw-sl need a dedicated drive to run?

Best case scenrario would be to install fvdw-sl on the whole raid5 so it is redundant aswell.

Every help appreciated

Thanks

Dennis
metti

Re: Help building Raid5 after setup

Postby fvdw » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:41 pm

You should install fvdw-sl with using only one disk, putting it in the most lefthand slot seen from the back. And add other disk later.
Anyhow if the system boots and fvdw-sl firmware comes up it seems install was ok, but what is the expected size of your disk in the most lefthand slot (iso 500 GB)?
And yes you can use all 5 disks in raid 5, all 5 disks will have a separate data partition.
You should use 5 disks of same size otherwise the raid5 will be build based on smallest disk
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Re: Help building Raid5 after setup

Postby Jocko » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:33 am

Hi,

In addition with fvdw post, can you post a screen capture of the disks setup menu
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2