NAS Restarts wile mounting Disks

NAS Restarts wile mounting Disks

Postby Woodani » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi,

I noticed today that my NAS wasn't powered on. I flipped the switch off and back on to try to boot it back up. The NAS power cycled a couple of times then appeared to be booting up normally. It goes though its normal process where all the drive lights blink red then blue and then one at a time they stop blinking red until they are all only blinking blue. Then the drive lights go out and come back on flashing blue rapidly. Drives 3, 2, then 1 all come up normally 5 comes up then It tries 4. It flashes for just a second before the NAS totally reboots and it tries the process again. It looped like this about 3 times before I shut it down.

I've made a video of the lights and what they are doing If you'd like me to post that it may be more helpful than my description.

Thanks.

Edited to correct the light sequence.
Last edited by Woodani on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodani
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: NAS Restarts wile mounting Disks

Postby fvdw » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:52 pm

This sound like a problem with your power supply.
If it fails to give enough current to run 5 disk the nas will reboot as it see it as power cut.

Try another power supply or take out a few disks unless you a raid running then Jocko should advice what to do.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:35 am

Hi

By removing one disk, you will lose the share settings on this disk if it is not a raid member or all share settings if the firmware fails to assemble the raid (eg. if your raid is already degraded and then there is no redundancy). Of course you do not lose your data but you will have to just recreate the missing shares(so with the same name, users permissions,...)

if it is not an issue you can do it directly, but do not remove the left disk but one of the others

if you want to keep your settings, you have to backup the nas database first with fvdw-sl console. So get a telnet access (action "load standalone kernel and start" and select kirkwood standalone kernel image) and do in the telnet window:
Code: Select all
mkdir /sda5
mount /dev/sda5 /sda5
cp /sda5/etc/nas_conf_db.xml /sda5/etc/nas_conf_db.xml.backup
stop the nas and reboot it after unplugging one disk
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Woodani » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:38 pm

Hi, I apologize on the delayed reply I didn't see in my email that you had responded.

Do you know of a good source for a replacement power supply for this model? I will try looking on ebay for one.

I will attempt to backup the nas database and then try removing one of the drives as my drives are in a raid. If it does boot with the drive removed does that it prove that it IS or ISN'T a power supply problem?

Thanks.
Woodani
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Woodani » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:17 pm

So... I'm not sure why but my nas booted up. I was trying to get into the fvdw-sl console and turned on the nas but I didn't open the console in time and the nas booted up but this time the power didn't cut off on it. The only thing I changed is I unplugged one of the two ethernet cables from the nas (so I could free up a port on my switch to plug up my laptop). I had load balancing on is why two ethernet cables were connected.

I'm not sure if I just got lucky during this boot and the power supply is still failing or if somehow the second NIC was drawing enough power to be an issue or what is going on.
Woodani
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:30 am

Hi

About power supply, few information from the topic: https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3404

No iface does not consume much power and never as the same level as a disk. So this would confirm you have really a power supply issue
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Woodani » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:01 am

So you think it is definitely a power supply issue? I've not found a replacement yet but I'll keep looking.
Woodani
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:54 am

Hi

You do not need to have a new power supply to confirm that.

Just use fvdw-sl console, backup the nas database. Stop the nas, remove one disk (I'd rather the 4th according to your original message) and restart the nas. If you succeed to reboot several times on such a state that means either you have really a power supply issue or you have an hardware issue on this drive which is producing an high power consumption

To eliminate this case, you may do:
- stop again the nas, plug again the 4th drive (and not plug the 5th drive, in slot 4)
- unplug the 5th drive
- reboot the nas. If it boots several times that means it is a power supply

Now if the nas does not boot, may be remove one disk is not enough. Then
- stop the nas
- keep only the first drive (left slot)
- start the nas
if it boots is still a power supply issue
Note: with this last test, you lose your share settings because the firmware will fail to get the raid device and you will have to restore the nas database
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Woodani » Sat May 01, 2021 7:37 pm

Ok. I will do that and post the conclusion.

Do I still need to use the fvdw-sl console to back up the configuration or can I ssh into the NAS and run those commands since the NAS is currently booted properly?
Woodani
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Sat May 01, 2021 8:50 pm

Ok if you have a ssh access, indeed you can do it directly
Code: Select all
cp /rw_fs/etc/nas_conf_db.xml  /rw_fs/etc/nas_conf_db.xml.backup
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2