Infinite boot time

Infinite boot time

Postby gnogno35 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:31 am

Hi everyone ...

First : thanks to the admin to have granted me access to this forum despite my gmail address ;-)

The all story :
- 1 5Big Network 2 since 2015
- 2017 : all my 3To Seagate ST3000 DM001 HDD crashed one by one from january to august ... each crash => about 30 hours to reconstruct the RAID5 array
- the last crash made me configure the unit in RAID "auto" to allow 2 HDD fails before losing the datas
- since that, I only switch on my 5Big when I need to (monthly backup or watching 1 or 2 films for week-end)
- all fine until last month where one HDD crashes :-( ... I evaluate the NAS has been switched on 6 months these 4 last years so I think it's a very short lifetime for a NAS ... anyway
- I reconstruct the RAID and tell me it's time to buy new spare HDD :-(
- Good idea, a second HDD fails one week later :-(

But this time, after the insertion of a new HDD, the NAS doesn't boot.
Worse ... a bad smell comes from the NAS ... I took apart the NAS and discovered that a condensator melted (the 1F for the RAM I suppose) ...
I soldered a new one but nothing changed. I think the Lacie design makes its product to overheat ... The 30 hours of RAID reconstruction must have been fatal for the all unit ... :-(

At startup, the blue light flashes (I waited 3 days in case the RAID was in reconstruction), Lacie Network Assistant doesn't see the NAS.
A direct access to the IP address shows that the NAS is currently booting ...
I found on eBay a used 5Big Network 2 (sold because HDD fail ... same story) ... and same problem ... no boot :-(

I plan to execute the "reset to factory settings without data loss" when I will have a new NAS (not a Lacie ;-) )

But ... if this reset doesn't work ... ou before I try this reset procedure ... do you think the fvdw firmware could be of any help to recover my datas ?
I'm afraid that the failed HDD could be a problem

Any help or point of view welcome :-)
gnogno35

Re: Infinite boot time

Postby fvdw » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:13 pm

Which firmware is on your 5big2? Lacie or fvdw-sl.
In any case you could use the fvdw-sl console and standalone kernel to investigate the disk assuming your 5big2 has still a working motherboard...
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby gnogno35 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:32 pm

Thanks for your answer :-)
The last version available, mine was up to date : 2.2.12.2
I don't know for the second unit I bought on ebay :-(
gnogno35

Postby fvdw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:29 am

So you were using lacie firmware.To see if your nas is still working you could try to connect to it using the fvdw-sl console an loading the standalone kernel https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3086
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2