Impossible to install on Windows 10

Impossible to install on Windows 10

Postby andjohn » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:01 pm

Hey All,
I tried for hours and hours with different tips from all over this forum. I tried doing it manually after loading the standalone kernel, I tried it the normal method. It took a long time to even get uboot to be detected and after that happened, it would load the kernel fine but that's as far as it would go.

I then loaded it on using Tiny7 SP2 and it took less than 30 minutes.

I am writing this to say to the devs that the install process is broken for Kirkwood at least when you're using Windows 10. If I had found this post, I'd have done way less work to get it reinstalled.

I'm not complaining! I like the software and I'm glad I donated. I think the devs breathed new life into literally a useless NAS. Without this project, that 'broken NAS' I bought without knowing it wouldn't turn on, I would have been out a bunch of money. However, because this project exists, I was able to use it for years and just recently passed it on to another user. This is super awesome, and I love the addons and the other options you can configure. The RAID support is incredible now too! V17 brought the RAID controls and it works great. I love that it has a modern kernel! That's insanity.

One other complaint that I have was because I missed one little word. When you first choose the kernel in the tftp prompt at the beginning, I was picking the other kernel in the installer files and not the standalone. This also lost some time, but it's partly my fault. Perhaps some of the terminology could be tightened up or the kernel labelled more obviously. But I'm also at fault for missing the word 'standalone' in the help file.

*Please take note that you'll have more luck installing it in Windows 7 than 10.*
andjohn
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2