Possibly a now bricked 5big V2?

Re: Possibly a now bricked 5big V2?

Postby Watchman1974 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:06 pm

fvdw wrote:To avoid misunderstanding, as long as no fvdw-sl firmware is installed and running on the nas the fvdw-sl assistant can not be used to find the nas.

Furthermore to be sure we understand another correctly, did you follow this procedure:
1. Connect your nas to the lan (using LAN1 connector on the nas)
2. Leave nas switched off.
3. Switch off firewall of pc.
4. Using wired connection between pc and router
5. Enable dhcp server on your router
6. Use ip pool 192.168.1.1- 192.168.1.254
7. Start fvdw-sl console on your pc and choose as action install firmware.
8. Select as as standalone kernel the kirkwood standalone kernel
9. Wait for the command window mentioning "waiting for uboot"
10. After that power on your nas.
11. The command window should detect the nas and interrupt boot and upload the kernel. This must be visible in the command window and finally it must mention "starting kernel...."
If no kernel is uploaded then you cannot continue
12. Wait for telnet window automatic
13. Connect to nas using telnet windiw

1. Connect your nas to the lan (using LAN1 connector on the nas)
- DONE
2. Leave nas switched off.
- DONE
3. Switch off firewall of pc.
-DONE
4. Using wired connection between pc and router
-DONE
5. Enable dhcp server on your router
-DONE
6. Use ip pool 192.168.1.1- 192.168.1.254
-Can it not be 192.168.90.1-254 ? I have my entire smart house set up on this IP range. If I have to I can hook up a spare router with that pool just for set up purpose. edit:I just set it to 192.168.1.x pool and same issues arose.
7. Start fvdw-sl console on your pc and choose as action install firmware.
-DONE
8. Select as as standalone kernel the kirkwood standalone kernel
-DONE
9. Wait for the command window mentioning "waiting for uboot"
-DONE
10. After that power on your nas.
-DONE
11. The command window should detect the nas and interrupt boot and upload the kernel. This must be visible in the command window and finally it must mention "starting kernel...."
If no kernel is uploaded then you cannot continue
-FAILED
12. Wait for telnet window automatic
-FAILED
13. Connect to nas using telnet windiw[/quote]
-FAILED
Watchman1974
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:54 pm

:scratch weird

Is there any output in the command window "waiting for uboot....." after you start your 5big2 ?

You should see a prompt marvell>> and mentioning the uboot version before it proceeds to attempt to load the kernel

If uboot is corrupt then this will fail, so did you modify or have written to flash another version of uboot ?

(uboot is the bootloader that loads and start the kernel this the bootloader)

Long shot: are you sure you have a lacie 5big network v2 (and not a lacie 5big pro)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Watchman1974 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:43 am

fvdw wrote::scratch weird

Is there any output in the command window "waiting for uboot....." after you start your 5big2 ?

You should see a prompt marvell>> and mentioning the uboot version before it proceeds to attempt to load the kernel

If uboot is corrupt then this will fail, so did you modify or have written to flash another version of uboot ?

(uboot is the bootloader that loads and start the kernel this the bootloader)

Long shot: are you sure you have a lacie 5big network v2 (and not a lacie 5big pro)

There is no output in the command window aside from "waiting for uboot"..then it disappears. Then auto1 which doesn't display anything pops up and then it disappear and telnet shows up with a timeout message.

5big Network 2
MODEL NUMBER
LAC301525U
CAPACITY
10000 GB
SERIAL NUMBER
111018FCA02
:)
Watchman1974
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:26 am

Sometimes boot is taken long because of a defective disk.

Please try with all disk removed to load and start the kirkwood standalone kernel. (Yes it can run without disks).

Second trial is to use in fvdw-sl as action uboot console, this should hold uboot and present a prompt like this
Code: Select all
marvel

About trial without using your router and connecting nas directly to pc. To make that work you have to setup a dhcp server in your pc and set ip pool to 192.168.1.1-254. your pc will then also get an ip in that range (in the past windows 10 had this functionality but it seems it is removed, menaning you have to install a third party dhcp server)

In this topic https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3426also same behavior was found, nothing in cmd window, no upload. There it appeared to be the router (fritzbox). Connecting it directly to pc made it work

Long shot. Are you sure that you are not using a cross utp cable?

does the backside of you 5big2 looks like this ?
backside-5big2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Watchman1974 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:26 am

fvdw wrote:Sometimes boot is taken long because of a defective disk.

I've removed all disks and tested them. They are good.

fvdw wrote:Please try with all disk removed to load and start the kirkwood standalone kernel. (Yes it can run without disks).

I attempted this but it was the same results. No connection

fvdw wrote:About trial without using your router and connecting nas directly to pc. To make that work you have to setup a dhcp server in your pc and set ip pool to 192.168.1.1-254. your pc will then also get an ip in that range (in the past windows 10 had this functionality but it seems it is removed, menaning you have to install a third party dhcp server)

Gave this a try as wel lbut I was not able to get the NAS to grab an IP address even through this method.

fvdw wrote:Long shot. Are you sure that you are not using a cross utp cable?

I'm sure

fvdw wrote:does the backside of you 5big2 looks like this ?
backside-5big2.JPG

Yes..exactly like that!
Watchman1974
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Well then I am at the end of the options to try to solve your issue.
:dontknow

Summarizing,; you mentioned this.
There is no output in the command window aside from "waiting for uboot"..then it disappears. Then auto1 which doesn't display anything pops up and then it disappear and telnet shows up with a timeout message.

The fact that the cmd window disappears means that there has been a contact between pc and 5big2. If not the cmd window would stay forever. The fact that nothing is displayed in the cmd before it disappears indicates your network either doesn't assign an ip to the 5big2 or your pc our router is blocking the communication of the programs used by the fvdw-sl console or the response sent by the 5big2.
Connecting to the serial console is still a possibility that could give some info to see whats happening but for that you need to open the 5big2 and you will need a usb/rs232 cable (ttl 3.3 V)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Watchman1974 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:12 pm

fvdw wrote:Well then I am at the end of the options to try to solve your issue.
:dontknow

Summarizing,; you mentioned this.

The fact that the cmd window disappears means that there has been a contact between pc and 5big2. If not the cmd window would stay forever. The fact that nothing is displayed in the cmd before it disappears indicates your network either doesn't assign an ip to the 5big2 or your pc our router is blocking the communication of the programs used by the fvdw-sl console or the response sent by the 5big2.
Connecting to the serial console is still a possibility that could give some info to see whats happening but for that you need to open the 5big2 and you will need a usb/rs232 cable (ttl 3.3 V)

I wanted to give you an update. After using an old Win7 laptop I had laying around and enabling ICS(to distribute DHCP) I was able to connect to the NAS and it is now up and running. I have just logged in to it for my first time. I have 4 2TB disks and 1 3TB disk which I need to now configure.

I appreciate all your assistance and have donated to show my appreciation. Thank you again!
Watchman1974
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:03 pm

Glad to hear you got it working :thumbup and for your feedback and letting us know. Still funny that it didn't work on your win 10 pc. :scratch, it will remain a mystery for now.

Thank you also for your donation, much appreciated.

We added you to the donators group and granted access to addons

Kind regards
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Previous

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2