Possibly a now bricked 5big V2?

Possibly a now bricked 5big V2?

Postby Watchman1974 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:35 am

I attempted to upgrade the Lacie firmware on my 5big v2. It no longer boots properly to be recognized by Lacie Network Assistant. I also can not access it through the web portal. I have attempted to install the fvdw-sl firmware but it also doesn't seem to communicate with it. Suggestions? Anyone want to remote in and take a crack at it? lol
Watchman1974
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Possibly a now bricked 5big V2?

Postby Jocko » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:43 pm

Hi

Watchman1974 wrote: I have attempted to install the fvdw-sl firmware but it also doesn't seem to communicate with it
Please to note Lacie Network Assistant can not be used wth our firmware. You should use fvdw-sl assistant instead.

Other issue, our firmware can not run rightly if there are lacie partitions on some disks, for example the lacie kernel partitions
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Watchman1974 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:20 am

Jocko wrote:Hi

Watchman1974 wrote: I have attempted to install the fvdw-sl firmware but it also doesn't seem to communicate with it
Please to note Lacie Network Assistant can not be used wth our firmware. You should use fvdw-sl assistant instead.

Other issue, our firmware can not run rightly if there are lacie partitions on some disks, for example the lacie kernel partitions

Thank you for the reply :)
I'm not expecting for the Lacie Network Assistant to detect anything with the fvdw firmware installed. The fact that it can't detect anything is the reason I want to install the fvdw firmware. As I can't get the telnet to connect I have not been able to get the fvdw firmware installed yet. I've deleted the partitions off all drives and made sure I have only the 1 left side disk in while making the attempt to install the firmware.

I'm fairly good at following technical instructions but can not get past the install instructions at the telnet step as it errors out with a connection error
"---------------------------
Telnet
---------------------------
Connection to 192.168.90.252/telnet timed out
OK
"

Using fvdw assistant I can't find the NAS either
Watchman1974
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:54 am

Did you try the suggestions mentioned here ?https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2645
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Watchman1974 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:41 pm

fvdw wrote:Did you try the suggestions mentioned here ?https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2645

Thank you, yes I did.

-------------
Most common reasons why telnet client cannot connect when using standalone kernel option in the fvdw-sl console

"- using a wireless connection between pc and router"
*Single ethernet port being used. all others disabled including wireless

"- the standalone kernel is not uploaded,"
*standalone kernel does not seem to be uploading.

"- using the wrong standalone kernel. Use the kernel with standalone in its name and device name.
For devices using a kirkwood processor (nwsp2, d2n2, nwpsp2 max, 2big2, 5big2, wireless space) you should select the kirkwood "standalone"."
*I am using standalone "UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-171-standalone"kernel.
Watchman1974
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:40 pm

which brand router do you use ?
(The Fritz!box routers seems to have an issue with broadcasting function which is needed by fvdw-sl console to connect to your nas)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Watchman1974 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:52 pm

fvdw wrote:which brand router do you use ?
(The Fritz!box routers seems to have an issue with broadcasting function which is needed by fvdw-sl console to connect to your nas)

It is a Wavlink router. WL-WN533A8.

Is there a paid support option where I can have someone remote in and get this thing working and I will pay them?
Watchman1974
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:17 pm

Oke, we got until now no reports about problems with that router.
Be sure you have set the ip pool of your dhcp server to cover all range x.x.x.1 x.x.x.254

Normally 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1 254 is used. Also 192.168.0.x should be ok

No there is no paid option.

There is still one thing that can block connection and that is windows firewall. Normally it will block access to the lan for programs, so if not specific acces is granted for fvdw-sl console program and tftpd32 file server communication will be blocked.
You can do two things, temporarily disable your firewall or grant access through your fire wall for the console programs.

A last option is connecting your nas directly to your pc without router (eable dhcp on your pc in that case)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Watchman1974 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:22 pm

fvdw wrote:Oke, we got until now no reports about problems with that router.
Be sure you have set the ip pool of your dhcp server to cover all range x.x.x.1 x.x.x.254

Normally 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1 254 is used. Also 192.168.0.x should be ok

No there is no paid option.

There is still one thing that can block connection and that is windows firewall. Normally it will block access to the lan for programs, so if not specific acces is granted for fvdw-sl console program and tftpd32 file server communication will be blocked.
You can do two things, temporarily disable your firewall or grant access through your fire wall for the console programs.

A last option is connecting your nas directly to your pc without router (eable dhcp on your pc in that case)

I've removed the firewall from the equation and even directly connected a laptop to the NAS and used IP scanner(and fvdw-sl assistant) to search for it but there was nothing besides the laptop found. I am using 192.168.90.1-254 as my range on my router. Obviously through the laptop direct connect I'm getting a 169 address without the router
Watchman1974
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:42 pm

To avoid misunderstanding, as long as no fvdw-sl firmware is installed and running on the nas the fvdw-sl assistant can not be used to find the nas.

Furthermore to be sure we understand another correctly, did you follow this procedure:
1. Connect your nas to the lan (using LAN1 connector on the nas)
2. Leave nas switched off.
3. Switch off firewall of pc.
4. Using wired connection between pc and router
5. Enable dhcp server on your router
6. Use ip pool 192.168.1.1- 192.168.1.254
7. Start fvdw-sl console on your pc and choose as action install firmware.
8. Select as as standalone kernel the kirkwood standalone kernel
9. Wait for the command window mentioning "waiting for uboot"
10. After that power on your nas.
11. The command window should detect the nas and interrupt boot and upload the kernel. This must be visible in the command window and finally it must mention "starting kernel...."
If no kernel is uploaded then you cannot continue
12. Wait for telnet window automatic
13. Connect to nas using telnet windiw
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2