Replace disk in RAID

Replace disk in RAID

Postby 2Drunk2WrkRite » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:43 am

I had a RAID array setup with 4 1tb disks. I wanted to replace each disk in the array one by one as to not go through the trouble of restarting from scratch but I can't seem to find the option. When I go to the RAID options it looks like it's going to wipe my RAID disks to build a new array but obviously this wouldn't be what I want. Maybe I'm missing some obvious and easy solution here? Thanks.
2Drunk2WrkRite
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Replace disk in RAID

Postby Jocko » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:44 am

Hi

Yes you should be able to replace one by one your disk in the raid if it is not a raid0 (no redundancy) but a raid1

So can you post a screen capture of the "edit volume" menu (when you click on the volume name link from the main disk setup menu)

There is information how to replace a disk in its help page
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby 2Drunk2WrkRite » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:03 am

Looks like it doesn't show as a volume...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2Drunk2WrkRite
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby 2Drunk2WrkRite » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:14 am

Also, looks like I put this in the wrong place. Was supposed to be the 5big v2
2Drunk2WrkRite
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:57 am

Hi

So I moved your topic in the right forum.

According with your screen capture, it seems the firmware detects at least a raid on sd[abcd] but not its related volume. I need more information about this point.

First, information how did you build it. Manually or by using the firmware (setup job)?And what actions did you make previously the screen capture ? Did you change the disk order, for example ? I think yes because to have a vol-D on disk-E is amazing.

Now get information on its current state. Please to post all the following output:
Code: Select all
cat /boot.log
gdisk -l /dev/sda
gdisk -l /dev/sdb
gdisk -l /dev/sdc
gdisk -l /dev/sdd

mount

cat /proc/mdstat
cat /etc/mdadm.conf
file -bs /dev/md0
mdadm --examine /dev/sd[abcd]8
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby 2Drunk2WrkRite » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:22 pm

I didn't realize the position of the disks would matter... I went ahead and re-installed the firmware on the disks I actually wanted. Thank you for your help and for running this site. I'm really happy to have an alternative to the original firmware that came with this.
2Drunk2WrkRite
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:29 pm

Hi

Indeed with a raid we have to keep the disk order as the one used to build it : the raid can not be assembled without it. It is why the volume was missing. On nas booting, the firmware failed to assemble it and there was no raid device.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2