Questions regarding possible brand incompatibility

Questions regarding possible brand incompatibility

Postby kawaiicoconut » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:27 am

I'm planning on reusing my NAS again, the current OS drive was a 80 GB Maxtor (which happens to be Seagate) powerMax from 2006, it works just fine, but the downside is that is quite noisy, so I found an old Western Digital, booting the kernel did not even detect it, if I add it after fvdw is running it works fine and I can even mount it, but I wanted to use it as a boot drive, so I played dirty, booted the kernel with the maxtor, and swapped the drive right after starting the installation, it finished and it was succesfully partitioned, but the NAS still refused to boot from it my question is that I'm planning to buy a few Toshiba drives, as they are quite cheap. but I fear having to still use that old ass Maxtor that drives me nuts' seriously, I have to shutdown the NAS everytime I want silence in my room to avoid the drive from spinning up again randomly (which is quite often as I suffer severe migraines) :elec)

This is the drive i'm planning to use
https://www.pccomponentes.com/toshiba-p ... rpm-sata-3
kawaiicoconut
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Questions regarding possible brand incompatibility

Postby fvdw » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:01 am

I would expect that every sata disk would work. There is a diiference however between uboot, the bootloader, and kernel. Both use different drivers for accessing the hard disks. This could be a reason why the kernel can detect the disk and uboot not. The boot sequence is that uboot reads the kernel from the disk, loads in memory and starts it. From there the kernel loads the root file system from the disk ans loads the firmware. It is obvious that if uboot can not access the disk that boot fails. Although I never have seen this until today it seems your uboot fails to detect this WD disk. To check please put this disk inside and start the uboot console of fvdw-sl console and start your nas and connect via uboot console.
When being connected via uboot console, give at the marvel>> prompt this command
Code: Select all
ide reset
and post here the output
Also the command
Code: Select all
version
would be helpful to check which uboot version you have.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2