Bad signature

Bad signature

Postby mithril » Thu May 28, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi all, I try to make 5big2 work again - bought via ebay, with empty disk. I started with working 2big2 disk (to have the partitions structure & raid configuration) and applied NAS guru Mijzelf's images to it (grabbed here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/me9cyq ... fekr81k0h5).

I also connected an Arduino to JTAG connector to see the console output.

It seems that device signature is not what the firmware expects. How to fix it?

Code: Select all
===INITRAMFS: =======================================INITRAMFS================================
===INITRAMFS: Initializing filesystem
===INITRAMFS: Mounting /proc
===INITRAMFS: Mounting /sys
===INITRAMFS: Populating /dev
===INITRAMFS: Mounting /dev/pts
===INITRAMFS: Product ID = 'net5big_v2'
===INITRAMFS: numRaidDevices=1
[    8.330000] eth0: started
hwclock: can't open '/dev/misc/rtc': No such device or address
Sleep mode disabled
Set led mode: off
Set led mode: startup
kill: cannot kill pid 646: No such process
===INITRAMFS: Found available BootFS partition: /dev/sda7
===INITRAMFS: Normal boot, starting bootfs system array
===INITRAMFS: Device '/dev/sda7' is not valid. Select another one.
===INITRAMFS: Device '/dev/sda7' is not valid too. Select next one.
===INITRAMFS: Warning: No valid device for this product. A claim is necessary...
===INITRAMFS: =========FIND AND CLAIM A COMPATIBLE DEVICE=========
===INITRAMFS: /dev/sda: signature        = 'net2big_v2'
===INITRAMFS: /dev/sda: legacy signature = '�����3D��h��&����'
===INITRAMFS: Device '/dev/sda' has not a good signature : REJECTED
===INITRAMFS: No valid bootfs found!
mithril

Re: Bad signature

Postby fvdw » Fri May 29, 2020 8:22 am

Seems your disk signature is wrong, probably it must be net5big_v2. This signature is in one of the first sectors of the disk. I am sure I have somewhere written down how to set the signature, sShould be possible to adapt it using dd command. Will look later if I can find it. But still you will have firmware from lacie 2big2. If that works on a 5big2??

Ps 5big2 have same partition structure as 2big2

Ps2. Why do you want to use lacie firmware?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Re: Bad signature

Postby mithril » Fri May 29, 2020 9:31 am

fvdw wrote:Seems your disk signature is wrong, probably it must be net5big_v2. This signature is in one of the first sectors of the disk. I am sure I have somewhere written down how to set the signature, sShould be possible to adapt it using dd command. Will look later if I can find it.

Thank you! It will help much!

fvdw wrote:But still you will have firmware from lacie 2big2. If that works on a 5big2??

No, Mijzelf (a NAS guru from other community) provided me with sda6 dump and sda7 / sda8 content tars. So I am going to use 5big2 firmware. See the link above. First, I attempted to create the structure from scratch (it seems to be the same for many Lacie devices) but with the same result + some errors related to raid creation. So I took a disk from 2Big2 and overwrote the content of the partitions.

Note: a 2big2 disk works in d2v2 device well (it complains only about one disk and some /proc/something/leds missing.)

fvdw wrote:Ps 5big2 have same partition structure as 2big2

I guess it is an statement. If it is an question, then yes, I suppose the structure is the same. At least according to information from http://lacie-nas.org/doku.php?id=lacie_stock

fvdw wrote:Ps2. Why do you want to use lacie firmware?

5Big2 device will serve as an DRC device – there are other Lacie devices (d2v2, 2big2, 2big NAS) located at homes of one family members and this 5big2 device will be elsewhere (e. g. at work). The home devices will backup to DRC device for disaster recovery option (home device stolen / completely damaged...). I suppose the configuration will be easier with all devices running Lacie firmware, but I considered also an alternative firmware.
mithril

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2