noob questions

noob questions

Postby dockeradz » Fri May 08, 2020 8:38 pm

Hello, I'm working on setting up a raid 5 between 5 8tb disks. I have a couple general questions:

Does the OS make itself redundant in any way with multiple disks like the lacie OS? If not is there a way to accomplish this? I don't want to loose sda and loose the OS.

Is there a recommended file system? The UI says ext3 but I noticed sda data is formatted ext4. Can't remember if I did that or not.

I am also no having luck adding in disks. Seems like no matter what I do, like create a new partition table in gparted and run setup, I get these errors:
Code: Select all
Setup task reset.sh is restarting
Found disk: sdd(ZCT27YG9)
Delete the partiton table on sdd: Fail (old table is still present)

Setup task reset.sh is restarting
Found disk: sdd(ZCT27YG9)
Delete the partiton table on sdd: Caution: invalid main GPT header, but valid backup; regenerating main header
from backup!
Warning! Main and backup partition tables differ! Use the 'c' and 'e' options
on the recovery & transformation menu to examine the two tables.
Warning! One or more CRCs don't match. You should repair the disk!
Fail (old table is still present)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
dockeradz
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: noob questions

Postby Jocko » Sat May 09, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi,

I think the best way is to plug your disk (sdd) on a laptop and then delete manually any partition/volume on it. (do not abort the setup task !)
So after this step, plug again the disk and restart the setup task
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby dockeradz » Sat May 09, 2020 7:50 pm

Thanks, I ended up sshing into the nas and running
Code: Select all
gdisk /dev/sde
to recreate the gpt for the disks that were having that issue.

Is it possible to make the OS redundant like the lacie firmware does? If not is there a recommended periodic backup method?
dockeradz
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Wed May 13, 2020 7:47 am

Is it possible to make the OS redundant like the lacie firmware does? If not is there a recommended periodic backup method?

Maybe I misunderstand you but it is redundant. There are multiple system partitions. So you can always go back tobprevious version and install again latest version.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby dockeradz » Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 am

No I meant setting up mirror mds for partitions 1 2 and 5 so if I lost the boot disk the nas would still boot. Right now everything OS wise is on sda, if sda died then game over man!

I'm pretty sure that's how the lacie firmware was setup. Is the boot config in uboot and how would I set that up in uboot?
dockeradz
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun May 17, 2020 9:11 am

dockeradz wrote:No I meant setting up mirror mds for partitions 1 2 and 5 so if I lost the boot disk the nas would still boot. Right now everything OS wise is on sda, if sda died then game over man!

Well to restore firmware on sda1 or 2 we have the fvdw-sl console and standalone kernel. Indeed if sda dies you loose also sda5 with the database containing your setting.
But you could implement a cron job to regular back up your database file to one of the other disks

I'm pretty sure that's how the lacie firmware was setup. Is the boot config in uboot and how would I set that up in uboot?

Uboot is in flash and the image overwrites at every boot the environment variables. Its design of lacie not ours. You can of course compile another uboot that allows setting and saving of environment variables but to my opinion it has not really added value to adapt uboot. It should load the kernel and root file system and no more. Some older uboot versions of lacie doesn't support gpt partition tables. For those version it makes sense to put an updated uboot in flash to enable use of disk larger then 2 TB to boot from. Be aware that if you corrupt uboot in flash or flash a not working version your device will become a brick and it will be difficult to bring it back to live and only with special tools and software.
Lacie set up raid arrays in there setup scripts in the firmware and sometimes using some in an initramfs file before loading their firmware.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Sun May 17, 2020 9:59 am

dockeradz wrote:No I meant setting up mirror mds for partitions 1 2 and 5 so if I lost the boot disk the nas would still boot. Right now everything OS wise is on sda, if sda died then game over man!

We do not use the same way as lacie firmware, because by doing it, when a raid it corrupted the firmware is not loaded; It is why several nas with lacie OS is broken when you have a faulty disk.

fvdw-sl console is enough to fix your issues as writing by fvdw
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2