5big blinking blue

5big blinking blue

Postby towerthepower » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:36 pm

Hello everybody, I recently plugged back my old Lacie 5big to the power supply and since then it is blinking blue. I waited some hours and tried to power it off via the rear button, still blinking...

I noticed that the blue light intensity decreases over the time (does it come with a light sensor?), at one point I thought it was completely off while it was still blinking, could it be a power supply problem?

I also have another unit, do anybody know if I can easily move the HDDs in the other unit in order to get access to the data, or if will create a new RAID partition erasing everything?

I am not sure how to check if it vs1 or 2 or even pro, it was a gift and I do not have the box. The unit has 2 LAN ports, 2 usb and 2 e-sata plugs.

Moreover I download the Fvdw-sl-console but I am unable to open the executable file, the password 33305 does not work, did it changed?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion!
towerthepower
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: 5big blinking blue

Postby fvdw » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:31 pm

There should some info on the bottom of the device, otherwise post a picture of rear view and bottom view

I noticed that the blue light intensity decreases over the time (does it come with a light sensor?), at one point I thought it was completely off while it was still blinking, could it be a power supply problem?
Never seen this behavior before, could be a power supply issue yes

I am not sure how to check if it vs1 or 2 or even pro, it was a gift and I do not have the box. The unit has 2 LAN ports, 2 usb and 2 e-sata plugs.

Then porbably it is a 5big V2 (version 1 has only one ethernet port as far as I know, the pro has a vga port on the back

fvdw-slconsole works fine here and password is still 33305 (be sure you enable numlock when using your keypad on the keyboard)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby towerthepower » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:49 am

Thank you for your quick reply! I was able to retrieve all my files and maybe this can be helpful for other people:

replacing power supply did not help, still blinking.
I used the fvdw-sl-console in order to get access to the unit, simply loaded Kirkwood firmware and used the command fvdw-sl-programs in order to open the console and upload mdadm and vsftp.

For unknown reasons, cat /proc/mdstat showed my partitions available at /dev/md123 , /dev/md124, /dev/md125, /dev/md126 and /dev/md127 but none of this folder were available in /dev. So I created them using mknod -m 0660 /dev/md123 b 9 123 , mknod -m 0660 /dev/md124 b 9 124 and so on.
After this I was able to mkdir /md123 and mount /dev/md123 /md123 and all my files were there!

Not sure what was wrong with the Lacie standard firmware and why it was not booting properly, I just needed my files so I did not investigate much about it.

As soon as I finish to save all my files I will definitely give a try to your firmware and since your software saved my day (and my life, the unit was fulled with my GF stuff), you will receive soon a donation!
towerthepower
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:52 am

Hi

I think your raids have a bad status and you used the option force to assemble them. So you got these dev node. That would mean you have a faulty disk

So currently, on nas booting the firmware fails to assemble the raid and aborts because the firmware needs to reach some files on these raids to make a regular boot
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2