Stock lacie 5big network2 disk error and upgrade

Stock lacie 5big network2 disk error and upgrade

Postby daniel304 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi
I have a stock lacie 5big network v2 (5x2Tb). Last week one of my disks (#4) failed so i made a final backup of everything. During this ‘backup’ the system had a shutdown due to high temperature. After starting everything it lost the raid array on disk 2 and showed both second and fourth as new disks to add.. is there a way to get it back i did it before by connecting 5 disks to a external pc and do it manual with mdadm.
I just learned about this custom firmware which might do the trick but how?

I was already planning an upgrade to 5x4tb but i have no clue how to do this as the os is on disk 1.

Hope someone can help!
daniel304
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Stock lacie 5big network2 disk error and upgrade

Postby Jocko » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:29 am

Hi

With two bad disks on a raid5 it is not good and maybe you have lost your data. The only way will be to force to build the raid with one of those disks even if they have a faulty status.

So the first steps are :
* to get an access with fvdw-sl console
Please to read this topic Fvdw-sl console telnet does not connect ( standalone kernel)
In your case you need also to select the standalone kernel image: UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-158-standalone (and nothing else)

And of course, you have to follow step by step the action "Load a standalone kernel". Please to read carefully the related help.

When you will get the telnet access, please to wait additional information. DO NOT TRY to assemble the raid !

But you can post
Code: Select all
gdisk -l /dev/sda
gdisk -l /dev/sdb
gdisk -l /dev/sdc
gdisk -l /dev/sdd
gdisk -l /dev/sde

mdadm --examine /dev/sd[abcde]2

--edit---
fvdw-sl console is available here: https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1271
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby daniel304 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:50 am

Thank you I am going to try that right away I an not find: UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-158-standalone:
BTW I made a contribution by paypal daniel.van.den.oord
daniel304
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:39 am

yes we received your donation and added you to the donators group, thank you much appreciated !

Seems you are using fvdw-sl-console with 18-1 files
You should use UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-171-standalone
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby daniel304 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:47 pm

strangly enough uboot closes after a few seconds starting a new auto1 window which also closes fast... after this telnet is being started..
I have disabled all firewall/virusscanners and am on a wired connection... the only thing is that the NAS is on dhcp (manually fixed on dhcp server) ip 10.0.0.134

I open fvdw-sl-console.exe change NAS ip to 10.0.0.134 and select Standalone kernel, load and start. click on yes after which tftpd is started on the right interface. asking for the correct firmware: UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-171-standalone. After this uboot is starting and see two sentences (Wating for uboot) I startup the NAS and the window of uboot dissapears (it always does after a few seconds.. and another windows starts with title auto1 (same as uboot) this dissapears after a few seconds as well then telnet starts and time outs..

My NAS only has its first (OS) disk at the moment.
daniel304
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:08 pm

You do not need to change NAS ip with fvdw-sl console and the nas will never use its former static ip ! (10.0.0.134).

With the last fvdw-sl console versions, DHCP server is not really required

Now how work fvdw-sl console, to summarize:
- fvdw-sl console broadcasts on the LAN (on the subnet related with the Ethernet card Ip of your laptop) information which will stop the bootloader of your nas
- as soon as this event happens and the standalone kernel loaded, the nas sets its IP according with the laptop IP (it gets this information from the special boot commandline sent by the laptop)
- the nas configures its Ethernet card to run on the same subnet of your laptop and then starts telnet daemon to get a shell console.

For example if laptop IP is 10.0.0.10, NAS IP will be automatically 10.0.0.252. So keep the default settings

What LAN configuration is required :
- your laptop has a dynamic IP then you should use a router with a DHCP server and connect the nas and the laptop to it
- your laptop has a static IP then you need to use at least a switch (but not a hub) and connect the nas and the laptop to it

daniel304 wrote:I have disabled all firewall/virusscanners and am on a wired connection
Please to note: to be using only one network card is not enough, you need to disable all other cards (virtual and device cards)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby daniel304 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:12 pm

all interfaces have been disabled...
and put both network cables in the same switch...
removed all Fixed DHCP setting from DHCP server...
Somehow i doubt TFTP is found as the NAS starts its normal OS
daniel304
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:25 pm

Ok we will try to do it manually

Please to follow the instructions of the post: https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3051&p=29774&hilit=tftpd#p29774

As you have a 5big2, you need to use the line
Code: Select all
Marvell>> tftpboot 0x800000 UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-171-standalone
instead of (Marvell>> tftpboot 0x800000 UIMAGE-26394-5BIG1-45-standalone)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby daniel304 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:46 pm

the lacie is turned off.
When i start the "tftp server" and then the "u-boot console" I will get the "starting u-boot net console click on window and press enter" after a few seconds. Even though the lacie hasn't been started.
daniel304
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:05 pm

So at least we know at what step the sequence fails.

As you use a win10, I'd rather you wait fvdw who also uses this OS. Maybe he will have a suggestion.

On your LAN, what hosts do you have ? Other Lacie host ?
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2