Fail to get an IP from DHCP server after installing fvdw-sl

Postby Draftmancorp » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:03 pm

Hello,
I'm near to buy a used 5Big network v2 (i've already have one with fvdw-sl 17.0 fw becouse of logic board memory issue, if you remember).

This new one function correctly, so the question is:
May you advise me to prefer install your custom firmware?
Or, have I to keep the current Lacie original fw one?

Wich is the better way to use the 5Big netw.v2? :thinking I never used an original one becouse of the unique 5Big i already have is damage and only way to use it is with your cfw.

I put myself back in your hands :please

Thanks.
Draftmancorp
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi Draftmancorp.

I pesonally don't have much experience with the Lacie firmware. But I saw several people here which had problems with it and Lacie is not offering much support. The Lacie firmware has the basic functions like ftp and samba to use your nas,however compared with fvdw-sl it has less features. I guess you should try it and decider yourself.

Ps please note that to install addons on fvdw-sl you have to become a donator. We introduced that this year to get some coverage of the costs to keep this forum running. More info see here https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2952
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Draftmancorp » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:07 pm

I read your message about forum changes in my personal control panel, thanks yes, :thumbup
So I think I will try the lacie OS, then I decide what to do...
I don’t like the idea to have one 5Big with one firmware and one 5Big with a different OS...this make me confusion and slowly.

The RAID5 feature is an addon or is a basic features of the firmware?
And considering that in the first disk contain the fw files for booting up the nas, what happen if in a RAID5 configuration the first disk fail? Can the other 4 disks rebuild data in a new first disk included fw files? Or may have we use console?
Draftmancorp
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:26 pm

Last question, have Fvdw-sl the robust feature to making RAID5?
If yes, is an addon or basic feature of the firmware?

I never see RAID feature in the web page of my fvdw 17.0 5Big...
Thanks.

Yes fvdw-sl supports raid5. There are even some tutorials in the download section and the disk setup menu contains the tools to set it up.

It is not a addon and part of the basic firmware.
But to be honest a 5 euro donation is I think not the world and a fair contribution to keep site up and running and giving support. ;)

Ps Tip.
please read the post in the 5big2 subforum and see how many user came here with raid failures when using Lacie firmware.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:32 pm

About raid tutorials, those are not present anymore in the download section. They are included in the help pages in the disk setup menu
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Draftmancorp » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 pm

Yes, of course, thanks!
Yes are not a problem few euros! This forum is really great. It must go on.
Draftmancorp
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Draftmancorp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:08 am

fvdw wrote:About raid tutorials, those are not present anymore in the download section. They are included in the help pages in the disk setup menu

Donation done! :rock
I'have one more question... i read many many threads with guise with lacie fw problem... ok i think that i install fvwd on mu new 5Big (coming tomorrow) but the question is:
The Speed of data transfer by ethernet will be slow down? or remain the original one offer by lacie fw?
I'm fear of 11mb write speed...
Draftmancorp
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:38 am

Thank you, I added you to the donators group and granted acces to addons.

On my 5big2 I reach upload speeds of 20-30 MB/s and download of around 40 MB/s this for large files. Small files will be slower because of more disk i/o to write headers etc. I use ext4 format and of coarse a gigabit lan.
In coming release (18.0) we will introduce samba upgrade to use smb2 and smb3 protocol which will improve speed even further
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Draftmancorp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:17 pm

fvdw wrote:Thank you, I added you to the donators group and granted acces to addons.
On my 5big2 I reach upload speeds of 20-30 MB/s and download of around 40 MB/s this for large files. Small files will be slower because of more disk i/o to write headers etc. I use ext4 format and of coarse a gigabit lan.
In coming release (18.0) we will introduce samba upgrade to use smb2 and smb3 protocol which will improve speed even further

Great!
Are you suggesting me to wait for 18.0? or can i start with 17.0 tomorrow when arrive the new 5Big2?
I was landing inside the section: viewforum.php?f=7
But really :shock: i can't find a real GUIDE step by step for installing the cfw over a lacie machine from the beginning.
The only one is this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2691 but tell to click over fvdw-sl-console.exe and nothing more :lol:
may have you a link to a specific installation guide (step by step) to a new lacie machine?
Thanks.
Draftmancorp
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:20 am

You can install 17-0. Release of 18-0 will take still a while.
Read the install help file that is present for using fvdw-sl console to install the firmware. See here https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2691
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2