High temps and posible cause

High temps and posible cause

Postby kawaiicoconut » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:32 am

Hi, after a few hours from having set up my NAS, I noticed that it was constantly shutting down after 30 or 40 minutes, my temp guard was set as the image shows, my power supply broke and as I'm familiar with electronics I took a mini ITX PSU (specs in attachment) and modded it to power up the lacie, it works smoothly and under load my meter reported around 11.7 volts so there is no overvoltage and eventually no reason to overheating :thinking but the HDDs still reach such ridiculous temperatures, the fan works and hdds are OK, (tested in PC with HDSentinel, no bad sectors or any problems) but 46 º in only 18 mins is crazy. I dont know what can be wrong, thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kawaiicoconut
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: High temps and posible cause

Postby fvdw » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:54 am

Something must be producing heat :scratch

Why is sda not visible in web interface?
Also storage space of 500GB is rather low for a 4 disk system??

You could temporarily set temp guard to 55 °C to see if temps keep rising.

A possibility could be a plugged fan with dust

You could also measure amps supplied by psu (the 5 and 12 v) to see how much watt is going in

And maybe your ambient temperature is high in the room were your nas operates
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby kawaiicoconut » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm poor and its using recycled HDD's from PCs that passed away 3x 250 GB + the 80 GB for the system (the temperature sensor in this drive works, but I never could read it with any Linux I've tried. Room temp is around 20-25 °C. The most heat I remember getting from these drives was 39 degrees on the PC i've used them with worse airflow
kawaiicoconut
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:35 am

I see.
Most likelely is that heat is generated by the disks as other users including myself don' t have this problem.

What you could do is take out two disks , for example sdc and sdb and see if the temperature issue is solved. In that case the heat is generated by (one off) the disk taken out. In case temp of disk sdb still increases replace by one of the two taken out and test again. Disk sda cannot be tested as it doesn't give a temperature reading

Ps the back side of the nas must be closed so don't leave the not used slot open. Also be sure that the nas is free from the floor, it should have 4 rubber fit leaving a gap between floor and bottom side enabling air ti be sucted in by the fan.

How did you test that fan is working?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2