How to take ownership instead of root?

How to take ownership instead of root?

Postby Draftmancorp » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:45 am

Hi guise!
If you don't remember me i've a 5Big Network 2 with fvdw-sl firmware version 17-0 plug in home network and managed only with Windows PC, and all gone perfectly thanks to your help in the past.
Today I trying to delete some my old files inside of my disks, but sems that "root" user and "root" group is the real Owner of all my 5 disk... really? why?
I try to take ownership with windows security property function. But sems that i can't change the root user...
How can i take ownership of the files?
How can i manage the file if there is no way to change/remove the root ownership? :thinking

Thanks.
Draftmancorp
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: How to take ownership instead of root?

Postby Jocko » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:18 am

Hi

On many files, owner and group are root and do not have be changed !

on fs system, I think it is clear :scratch

and on the data volumes, I repeat again a NAS is not a laptop and permissions should not be managed on linux permissions level (in fact linux permissions are set only to set permissions on the servers running on the NAS)

On a nas, access on a file is monitored by the running servers : ftp by proftpd; samba by smbd, ... It is the user settings on these servers conf which allow or deny access, that's all...

Anyhow, you can get a root access by using a ssh access as in this case you are a root user and then you have all permissions! So I assume you know what you will do
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Re: How to take ownership instead of root?

Postby Draftmancorp » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:32 pm

Sorry, i've never seen the notification of this answer.
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!
Using Filezilla with SSH and root user i'm able to delete all the old garbage now.
Yes, you'r right, i know what i'm doing, don't worry :hammerhead
Thanks again.
Draftmancorp
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2