Dead Power Supply?

Dead Power Supply?

Postby hvymetal86 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:33 pm

I got an email message once today warning my NAS booted, and when I looked over it was powered off. LED on the power supply brick is very dim when its plugged into the NAS. I unplugged the cord from the NAS, then plugged it back in and the lights on the back flashed for a millisecond then went dark. Every other time going forward there has been no response from the NAS. The PSU light still slowly brightens if unplugged and dims when connected to the NAS. I can hear a faint whine from the PSU that increases in tone for about 1.5 seconds, then goes almost quiet and repeats that pattern indefinitely.

I got out my multimeter and measured from one of the + pins to the ground pins 5.5-7.5V (PSU spec is 12V). Then I measured amps in the same way and got almost 0 except for spikes every 5 seconds or so of up to 10 mA. Nowhere near the 12.5A its rated for.

Just wanted to check and see if anyone else had had something like this happen before I purchase a new PSU.
hvymetal86
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Dead Power Supply?

Postby fvdw » Tue May 15, 2018 8:37 am

I lost my power supply a few months ago. But in a different way it made internally a short circuit. I bought a new one but with max capacity of 10 A as those appeared to be much cheaper. Until today it works fine (I have 5 disk inside, normally at boot those start one of the other. A problem could arise if all 5 start at exactly same moment. As according info on the disk it coul draw 2.5A per disk. But I think there is some margin in there. When dusk is spinning normally it doesn't need more then 1 to 1.5 A

---edit, I bought this one Adapter for Synology & QNAP NAS, 12V 10A 4pin
http://www.topmedia.nl/adapters-charger ... 00r4p.html (30 euros excl shipment)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby hvymetal86 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:20 pm

I got one from Amazon and its working great. NAS booted successfully and everything worked! Then, another problem totally unrelated to the PSU occurred 2 hours later. One of my drives died. :( Got the array degraded email but also heard some agonizing beeps and drive sounds. Pulled the drive (of course it's a Seagate) and it's totally undetectable in an external HD case as well. :hairpull

Now I have to decide whether to replace it with a 2TB drive (matching the other drives in use now) or buy a 4TB drive with the goal of eventually replacing them all with 4TB ones and expanding the array. :thinking

Nevermind! Looks like 2TB costs basically the same as 4TB, so no reason to not go with 4TB. Planning on ordering this drive: https://www.amazon.com/dp/b01n7yoh4p/?tag=extension-kb-20
HGST have the lowest failure rates according to backblaze.com statistics on their HDs.
hvymetal86
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Thu May 24, 2018 7:22 am

Hi Hvymetal,
hvymetal86 wrote:I got one from Amazon and its working great. NAS booted successfully and everything worked! Then, another problem totally unrelated to the PSU occurred 2 hours later.
Nice but not sure both events are not linked. (maybe there was an I/O access on your failed disk when the PSU dead. (and made some overvoltage and damaged its disk control card).

About disk size, I noted read/write accesses are lower on a raid5 (5*3TB so around ~raid 10TB) than on a raid built with 2TB disk. So maybe you will get also lower performances with 4TB disks (~15TB)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby hvymetal86 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:45 pm

For anyone with one of the 5Bigv2's my PSU died again (The one I previously mentioned finding on Amazon). If you've had similar issues and are ok with some basic soldering, open up the PSU (careful not to short anything), and check the capacitors. I found 2 of them were bulging and bad. They're pretty low-quality caps (at least the ones I found in my replacement w/e brand PSU). So I purchased better ones with matching properties online:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073YQB9X2/

Removed the bad ones and the two others like them since I had 6 and might as well replace all of them. Soldered the new ones in and PSU works perfectly again!

Before: https://imgur.com/a/6cTxf2U
After: https://imgur.com/a/SdJEDQu
hvymetal86
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby wd9895 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:55 am

105 °C, you made everything well.
I would have exchanged all capacitors.
They dry out and loose capacity, create ripple and crasy phenomenons.
wd9895
Donator Supporter
Donator Supporter

Postby hvymetal86 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:06 am

wd9895 wrote:105 °C, you made everything well.
I would have exchanged all capacitors.
They dry out and loose capacity, create ripple and crasy phenomenons.

I specifically wanted well-rated 105°C and did all 4 identical ones at the end of the board. I think there are only 3 other capacitors on it; The giant red one, and two black ones smaller than the 4 I replaced. It would have been more thorough to replace every one but I wasn't thinking about it at the time. If another dies that's a great idea though!
hvymetal86
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2