Using fvdw-sl

Using fvdw-sl

Postby McFussel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Hello,

just a few questions after finding this great forum and firmware. You helped me by using the telnet to reset and reboot my LaCie.....caused me sleepless night.

I'm frustrated with the OG software so I want to switch (even since I reed, fvdw is so much faster!). But I have some questions and maybe you can help me with that:
- if I switch to fvdw, all data on my lacie will be lost, right?
- if I switch to fvdw, is there a way back to the old firmware (Hard reset with data loss and formating HHDs)?

I think all other things I will read myself through the forum and just try! :applause

Edit: Just reed the install manual for additional disks - is this still valid? Pre-formating still needed?
McFussel

Re: Using fvdw-sl

Postby uelpenich » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Hello McFussel,
- if I switch to fvdw, all data on my lacie will be lost, right?
Yes.
- if I switch to fvdw, is there a way back to the old firmware (Hard reset with data loss and formating HHDs)?
No and Yes, it depends of the LaCie model. Some devices were sold diskless, Yes, all others without garantie for success. (the fvdw console to install the firmware delete all partitions and reformats the drives.)
I suggest install the fvdw firmware to a free disk drive and to play around with it. If you like it change to fvdw.

PS: one important difference: fvdw raid covers only the data partition, not the firmware partitions.

Just red the install manual for additional disks - is this still valid?
The actual firmware V17.0 is capable to partition and format the additional disks and to create the raid array.
uelpenich
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2