Device Capacity above 15TB?

Device Capacity above 15TB?

Postby DrFoc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi All,

NAS Newbie..

My Lacie 5Big Network2 is running firmware fvdw-sl version 17-0

Is my device still limited to the drive capacity of the original device?

I'd like to install 5x4GB drives in my Lacie, Anyone exceeded the 15TB limit?

Thanks, DrFoc.
DrFoc

Re: Device Capacity above 15TB?

Postby Jocko » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi

Indeed with an ext3 fs there is the size limit: 16TiB on a volume but ext4 is able to handle larger volume. However, AFAIK, there is still the same size limitation with e2fsprogs which are not able to deal with file systems larger than 16 TB (32bit config).

So you should not be able to format a 20TB volume with our last firmware version even with an ext4 volume.

But I assume you want to create a raid5 volume. So its size with 5 x 4TB disks will be around < 16TiB and then it is Ok. You will have an issue only if you want to create a raid0 or linear volume.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby DrFoc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Thank you Jacko,

A raid 5 would be 16T or a raid 6 12T, so I may go Raid 6 if the software supports it.

I have a further question, (if that's allowed)

If the firmware resides on the actual drives in the unit, rather than a chip, i'd need to remove the old drives, fit the new ones, and then go through the process of reinstalling the firmware onto the lace NAS?

Is this possible using a Mac, or will i need to get hold of a windows machine to reinstall the firmware on the lace?

Sorry if followups are not allowed, these are my first forum posts!

DRFoc.
DrFoc

Postby Jocko » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:59 am

Hi

a raid 6 12T, so I may go Raid 6 if the software supports it.
Currently , our firmware does not support raid6. As this raid6 type has a bad impact on R/W access with a software raid (5big2 does not have a raid controller), we did not included this option.
DrFoc wrote:s this possible using a Mac, or will i need to get hold of a windows machine to reinstall the firmware on the lacie?
I am not a MAC user. Some MAC users tried to use fvdw-sl console but I do not know if they succeeded...
It is still on our todo list, make install scripts for Linux or MAC users
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby pdsingle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Can I replace the five 2TB drives with larger ones, say 3TB or 4TB drives, using the stock Lacie firmware?
pdsingle

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2