Please Help, 5Big Network 2 upgrade attempt gone wrong

Please Help, 5Big Network 2 upgrade attempt gone wrong

Postby hvymetal86 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:22 pm

I tried to upgrade a LaCie 5Big Network 2 today from 2TB drives to new 4TB drives. I went into it knowing it was unsupported by LaCie and that the firmware/OS was on the drives. I used the method someone reported was successful in this post: http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=651#p6870

Getting 4 of the 5 new drives in with one old one and having them show up as new in the web interface worked. But it went off the rails when I turned it off and replaced the last disk and it wouldn't come back online. I swapped the old disk from slot 1 back in and it did come back up for web access. Repeated the same two swaps and got the same results. I figured there might be some priority to slot 1 boot order wise so I switched the new slot 1 disk which hadn't show up as new like the rest had to slot 2 and put the new disk from slot 2 which theoretically should have the firmware/os on it to slot 1. Still no dice. I then thought that maybe I needed to get the first disk to have the same done to it as 2-5 had so put the old disk from slot 1 in slot 1 and new disk 1 and slot 2. Now I don't remember exactly what else I tried but I had also at some point put old disk 2 back in with the new disks in slot 2, done a factory reset at one point and old disks 1 and 2 back in with 3 new disks, but basically it's no longer even getting an IP on the network. I also tried LaCie's steps for LNA recovery mode to reinstall a Network V2 Device OS and it said it found it but then at the end errored basically saying it had been unable to find a device to connect to (meaning it's previous message was wrong).

I last tried putting all 5 old drives back in in the same order they were before and it still will not get an IP. I now have it at home but when I was at the client's site with managed dell switches it's MAC wasn't being listed in the dynamic address table, let alone being issued an IP via DHCP. At home it's not showing up on my router's LAN client's table either (running DD-WRT).

I don't need to worry about data loss on the old drives, the upgrade was started with important stuff copied off, and only backup data remaining. If I can get it working with the new drives I don't care about getting it working on the old ones. I'll need it to use RAID5. If there's a reason why 4TB drives won't work on this (Seagate NAS drive on LaCie's compatability list), then I'd at least like to get it working again with the 2TB drives so it's usable.

I've read a bunch of stuff on here and forum.nas-central.org but everything seems to require that it get an IP first even the tools for installing the fvdw-sl firmware which makes sense but I need help getting it to do that. I'm in a bind here especially because this was for a client.

Please help! :please
hvymetal86
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Please Help, 5Big Network 2 upgrade attempt gone wrong

Postby hvymetal86 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:27 pm

So I read some more and tried using clunc via the FVDW-SL Console program (newest version 5.4, released 5/12/15). Started it before powering on the NAS, then turned the NAS on and it seemed to connect. Output:
Code: Select all
provided by fvdw
waiting for u-boot..
starting u-boot net console click on window and press enter

Marvell>>

The 5Big Network 2 shows no lights on the drives now and the front light/button is solid blue (a combination I haven't seen on it before). The output and the lights make me think it's connected, but my router still doesn't show the 5Big N2's MAC or the IP that clunc supposedly gave it (192.168.1.252). My network is 192.168.1.x .
hvymetal86
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Mon May 18, 2015 9:48 pm

What you did seems to be that you started an u-boot console. That will not bring you far if you want to install firmware on the disks?
For that you need to use command install fvdw-sl firware. if you want to investigate your disks you need to choose laod and start standalone kernel.

It is not fully clear to me what you want to do, install lacie firmware or fvdw-sl firmware ? or what ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby hvymetal86 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:00 pm

fvdw wrote:it is not fully clear to me what you want to do, install lacie firmware or fvdw-sl firmware ?

Before I was able to connect with clunc I didn't know if I could install either firmware. If the LaCie firmware can work with the 4TB drives I think that would be preferred by the client just as it's the official one.

I don't see any images of that on here however and I'm not sure how to get that back on as there don't seem to be good instructions for it, while there are detailed instructions for the fvdw-sl firmware.

Edit: was curious about the standalone kernel (don't actually need to browse files) and didn't see a UIMAGE file for the 5big2, just one for the 5big1 included in the console's zip).
hvymetal86
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Mon May 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Installing the lacie firmware can be done using the fvdw-sl console
Be aware that we are the developers of the the fvdw-sl firmware so i only have limited experience with the lacie stuff. ;)

see this topic viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1402
Yes you to do some reading, I suggest you read all 5 pages, with the info there you should be able to do it, just like the others

if your 5big2 support 4Tb disks or not will be dependent on the u-boot version on page 5of the topic I mentioned above it is explained how you can check that
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby hvymetal86 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:33 pm

Thanks!

I've already been able to confirm it should support disks over 2TB with the u-boot console thanks to your direction.
Code: Select all
Marvell>> version
version

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Sep  8 2011 - 17:27:17) Marvell version: 3.4.16  LaCie 1.5.23

I'm now going back and reading through the whole thread.
hvymetal86
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby hvymetal86 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:52 pm

The new fvdw console download doesn't seem to have the correct standalone kernel you mention in the other thread here "choose kernel ...-164-standalone)" or any other kernel named similar to 5big2. I see one for the 5Big 1, UIMAGE-26394-5BIG1-41-standalone, but I don't think I should try that one.
hvymetal86
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Tue May 19, 2015 8:10 am

Hi hvymetal86,

5big2 uses the same kernel version than nwsp2.
So with the last fvdw-sl console version (5.4) you must select the image file UIMAGE-3142-MWSP2CL-KIRKWOOD-10-standalone

Note there is no risk to select a wrong kernel as it is loaded in RAM. So just stop the nas and try again to load another standalone kernel version.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby hvymetal86 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:11 pm

Ah, that's what I was missing. I hadn't read that anywhere. Thanks Jocko!
hvymetal86
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Tue May 19, 2015 1:32 pm

In fact any kirkwood nas can use this version ;)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2