Cannot access 5big Network 2, cannot factory reset

Cannot access 5big Network 2, cannot factory reset

Postby jolareq » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:32 am

I have a 5big Network 2 that a client of mine had. They had tried doing a firmware upgrade and it failed, so they ended up buying a Synology. They no longer wanted the Lacie so they gave it to me, drives and all. It would continue to reboot itself, but now it boots up fine (well, it doesn't reboot anymore on its own, at least.)

I had no idea what the IP addresses were set to, so I figured I'd do the factory reset. I followed the instructions on Lacie's website: power it off, remove the drives, turn it back on, waited while the LED flashed, then it went solid blue, and then waited for it to blink red and blue... and waited... and waited...

It never blinked red and blue, it just stayed solid blue. I tried it with the drives in, holding the LED in while I turned it on, waited it for it go solid red, released the LED and then pressed it within 5 seconds when it went solid blue. Nothing.

Anybody have an idea what I can do to get onto this thing? I can't find an IP for it, it's not giving out DHCP addresses, I've even scanned it with Wireshark and I get nothing. I'm at my wits end. Granted, if I can't get it to work I'll have 5 2TB drives to use, but I really want to get the RAID 5 working.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!!
jolareq

Re: Cannot access 5big Network 2, cannot factory reset

Postby fvdw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:07 am

what do you want to install, the lacie firmware or our fvdw-sl firmware ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby jolareq » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:14 pm

At this point, I want to install anything that will let me get onto it and use it!

As I said, I can't find out what IP it's using, and DHCP doesn't seem to be working on it so I can't access it at all.
jolareq

Postby fvdw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:45 pm

then you could consider to install fvdw-sl firmware, see download sub forum for first time install. Can be done using the fvdw-sl console from a pc running windows
fvdw-sl 16-0 supports raid but needs to be set up manually, in future release setup via the web interface will be required.

If you want to install lacie firmware then this topic could be helpful

The fvdw-sl console
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby jolareq » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:20 am

I've tried following the instructions but I'm not able to get it working. If I leave the network adapter on the laptop as DHCP it never notices when I turn on the NAS when u-boot comes up. It just sits there. If I give the laptop an IP address, u-boot notices, it starts up the kernel, but then telnet doesn't work as it can't find the NAS.

As I mentioned, the NAS doesn't seem to have an IP and doesn't get one from DHCP. I'm not sure if anything will work at this point.
jolareq

Postby fvdw » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:43 am

if u-boot can be interupted then the network interface is ok.
Seems you are not using a router
It is in general better to use a router in between your laptop and the NAS, set eup to use 192.168.1.xxx as IP's for the LAN

remarks to your LAN setup laptop-NAS
If you set your laptop to use DHCP then indeed it will not work as there is no DHCP server in your LAN and the laptop won't get an IP
If your set manually an IP to your laptop then it can talk to the NAS as proven by the fact that it interrupts u-boo.
What was the IP that you gave the laptop ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby jolareq » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:30 pm

I did try a router last night and it worked. I was able to get onto the device (finally!) and start the install. However, at some point during the install it failed, saying it couldn't format or write to /dev/sda1. It got through the sda7 and sda8 stuff, and failed after that.

So, I followed your instructions on how to put the LaCie firmware back on, just to see if it was an issue with the device. It worked and I was able to access the device with the LaCie desktop. My issue now, however, is that while it sees each device as a 2TB drive, it's only allowing me to use around 275MB on each one, so the RAID 5 is coming up as just less than 1GB!

I'm wondering if there is stuff on the other drives that is causing this so I may just have to erase them all.

Fun times!
jolareq

Postby fvdw » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Probably on of the data directories has the wrong size. In partion setup of lacie the data partion are sda2, sdb2.....sde2. I think that one or more of your disks partitions has not been setup as it should. Check the size of the partitions
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2