Thanks for Helping

Thanks for Helping

Postby dirtbag » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:10 pm

We had nothing but issues with this device since we bought it 4 years ago. We finally got Lacie to replace it and it lasted about a year and after warranty expired.

There was a solid red flashing light at the front with solid blue disks lights at the back(x5), one day

The disks are 5x 2tb Seagate Barracudas

I am not concerned with the data that was on the disks.

I tested all the drives in another computer they are functional. I am able to write data to and from them. I ended up wiping the drives. So nothing is on them.

I was on another forum where someone posted an image to try but the same symptoms keep coming back.
This required the use of dd, I followed all the instructions but it was a long shot at best.

Solid blue lights everywhere. Accept it does not doing anything network wise.
The Lacie assistant does nothing to wake the device up and it never shows up. I combed my DHCP server to see if there was a device but again nothing.

So now I am here with a boat anchor of a NAS. Looking at a big blue light and 5 solid blue drive lights.
I am connected to the LAN1 with a cross over cable. No firewall enabled. My nic is set too 192.168.1.5.

fvdw-sl-console-5-3-15-1-18feb2014-32bits <-----I grabbed

Ran it with the option stand alone kernel and load and start. With this UIMAGE-26394-2BIG1-standalone
Figure the firmware was malfunctioning

But when I boot the BOAT ANCHOR it does not do anything. I figured there was some kind of tftp request that happens on the boot up of the 5big.

I just end up looking at a cmd prompt with a msg saying waiting for u-boot.

What do I do now?

Thanks for the help anyone who replies :)
dirtbag

Re: Thanks for Helping

Postby fvdw » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:44 pm

what device do you actually have, a lacie 5big vs1 or 5 big vs 2

In any case you used the wrong standalone kernel, please read the first install instruction for 5big2 carefully to find out which kernel to use. ;)

If nothing happens and it keeps waiting for u-boot then probably your fire wall prevent from accessing the fvdw-sl console programs to make connections in your LAN.

Be aware to switch off the 5big2 and then start the fdw-sl console and only when it is waiting for u-boot then start the 5big2.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby dirtbag » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:58 pm

I have the 5Big Network 2

Ok let me re-read that. Been knocking my head against this for days now.

Thanks for the tips.
dirtbag

Postby dirtbag » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Ok so I grabbed this file ..fvdw-sl-15-3 firmware for lacie 5big network_v2

I ran fvdw-sl-console-5-3-15-1-18feb2014-32bits

I had to switch the IP from 192.168.1.252 to 192.168.0.252 and everything started to run.

In one of the TFTP transactions there was an error looking for a file and then telnet fails to connect to the NAS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dirtbag

Postby dirtbag » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:43 pm

Oh I even tried this one as well... And of course telnet fails. Which I am guessing is cause the kernel failed to load from the TFTP server or something like that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dirtbag

Postby fvdw » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:50 pm

in the folder were you installed the fvdw-sl console you should have a folder with name tftp, that subfolder should contain the standalone kernels.
From the screen shot it seems that you have changed the search path in tftp server, don't do that, leave the the standard settings.

(the tftp server is according your screen shots looking in c:\TFTP-Root, if the kernels are not in this folder then the tftp server cannot find them, normally it should fvdw-sl-console folder\tftp, that means you modified it.)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby dirtbag » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:21 pm

You were right, I had another TFTP server installed on this computer. I removed it. Now it is working well.

I get to the part where it says loading Kernel .. 12 seconds pass and the telnet starts to 192.168.0.252. The connection times out. Even if I retry. It still times out.
dirtbag

Postby fvdw » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:55 pm

well I have 5big2 myself and it works fine, is the telnet client running on your PC allowed to connect to the LAN ? (fire wall)

The kernel also tries to get a dynamic ip from a dhcp server you could check the client base of your dhcp server (router) to see if it has got a dynamic ip.

Further you must have a 5big vs2 to be use the nwsp2CL standalone kernel.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby dirtbag » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:01 pm

I got it ... worked like a charm. I needed an DHCP server running on the LAN and everything started working no problem. Telnet started working. I entered the commands in the HELP file. Smooth as butter. reboot -f

I have the NAS up and running with one drive and I can ssh into the box.

Only one thing. How do I add storage from all the other drives?

Its all good I figured it out....

I must thank you very much for all your help. You guys are awesome here. Thanks for your hard work
dirtbag

Postby Jocko » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Hi dirtbag,

full explanation, here: download/file.php?id=3131
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2