5big Network 2 - lost ?

5big Network 2 - lost ?

Postby carloph » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Hello,

I have a Lacie 5big Network 2 with 5x2TB disks (10TB total), RAID5, on LAN1.

After 6months well working, it failed with Front led blinking red, disk 3 Rear led fixed Red. No more accessibility to NAS: I try to reboot it with no success.

As x LacieManual, I did “RESET without data loss”, NAS rebooted, visible from Lacie Network Assistant (LNA) but no more accessible from Dashboard via HTTP (Error ASSERTION FAILED ……).

I then tried to load FVDW standalone-kernel:

- From LNA I changed the NAS IP address to 192.169.1.252 (255.255.255.0)
- I put NAS OFF
- From a PC (192.168.1.253, 255.255.255.0) I started fvdw, loading UIMAGE-395-NWSP2CL-179-standalone kernel, U-Boot started
- I put NAS ON, short booting (20 sec), Front led fixed blue, rear disks leds off
- From FVDW nothing happened, no ping answer from PC, not visible from LNA
- I put NAS OFF
- I stopped FDVW
- I put NAS ON
- Long booting (25min): at the end the NAS was visible from LNA with the original IP address provided by DHCP (the IP address to 192.169.1.252 has been lost)

I tried many times to reboot NAS with different sequences (starting FDVW, RESETTING NAS, waiting more time, leaving off NAS for hours,etc.), but FVDW kernel never loaded: the NAS in the current configuration, allows to change the IP address, but is not capable to maintain it after reboot.

NOTE: in one of the reboots, the LACIE Dashboard was accessible, showing an empty filesystem in RAID 6 (!!!), but that the total volume was not empy (busy size area equal to the original used filesystem). In many reboots disk 3 had trouble (sometimes led blue, sometimes led red, sometimes led off).

SUGGESTIONS ?

Thanks
carloph
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: 5big Network 2 - lost ?

Postby fvdw » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:08 pm

first do not use wireless connections when you use the fvdw-sl console
Use for the pc running the fvdw-sl console a wired connection to the LAN.

The 5big2 has two lan connectors, you need to use lan1.

Now keep the 5big2 switched up and start the fvdw-sl console on your pc and choose action "load and start standalone kernel"
Pick the kernel as you mentioned.
After a u-boot command window should come up on your pc mention that it waits for u-boot.
Now start the 5big2.
The u-boot console on your pc should interrupt boot and try to upload the standalone kernel, this must be visible in the u-boot console on your pc. If not happens there then the console did not detect your 5big2 and of course no standalone kernel is loaded.
Not detecting your 5big2 can be because you used a wireless connection or you used the wrong LAN port on the 5big2 or your lan port is broken or firewall settings on your pc prevent the console form accessing the LAN (allow read/write access for nc, tftp or disble temporarily your firewall.

As long as u-boot console doesn't interrupt boot any further action is useless
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby carloph » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks,

but as I wrote, I use LAN1 (wired): the problem is that after reboot the new IP address 192.168.1.252 is not reachable by PING.
carloph
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:24 pm

you also must used a wired connection between the PC (running the fvdw-sl console) and your LAN

As long as there is no standalone kernel uploaded your nas will not respond to a ping on 192.168.1.252

You first must see in the u-boot console window that it detects the booting og your nas and interupts it, after that it should proceed and show commands to upload the kernel. If that doesn't happen we need to find the reason why
ps1 the u-boot console is opened by the fvdw-sl console after starting the action load and start standalone kernel)
ps2 I know that it works as I have a 5big2 myself.

Described exactly what you see in the u-boot console when starting your 5 big2
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby carloph » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:11 pm

All wired connections.

the u-boot console is opened by the fvdw-sl console after starting the action load and start standalone kernel): CONFIRMED

With U-boot conosle opened, I put my NAS ON, but U-boot console show nothing: as I already said NAS do not answer to PING.

Thanks for your prompt reply
carloph
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:07 pm

the u-boot console should mention that it is waiting for u-boot. After start the nas, it should detetct the nas booting and interupt boot, a marvell>> prompt should be displayed and shortly after it should display that it is uploading the kernel and more. After loading the kernel it should close automatically and after 12 seconds the telnet window should pop up.
If all that doesn't happen we need to find out why you pc doesn't detect the nas. As long as the kernel is not uploaded of course the rest won't work

Did you try both ethernet ports ?

LAN1 is the one I use (most left when looking at backside) I know youmentioned that you used LAN1, just to be sure.

Try also with all disks removed.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby carloph » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:21 pm

Never arrived to he marvell>> prompt.

Regarding LAN2, in this post http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1738&hilit=eth1&start=20 is mentioned that FVDW works only with LAN1 (for LAN2 it nereds another kernel).

In all my post, I try to explain that I can change the NAS IP address to 192.168.1.252 (through LNA), but de facto this change is NOT saved when NAS rebooted. I'm fully sure of it, because after address change I can ping the NAS IP address to 192.168.1.252, but after reboot NAS cannot be pingable anymore on this address.

NOTE: If I try to boot removing disks, how to recover my data ?
carloph
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:33 pm

yes without disk we can not recover the data but before we can do that we first need to find out why your 5big2 is not detected by the u-boot console
So a test without disk excludes a hardware issue witht he disk (but probably it will not make a difference)

A remembered another important aspect.
Do you have more then 1 ethernet adapter in your PC ?
If so disable them all but one (wired) and try again.
We have seen that having multiple adapters active may confuse the fvdw-sl and u-boot console
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby carloph » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Hello,

here is the status:

PC i/f
- I verified and the PC has only 1 wired LAN i/f
- I disabled the Wifi i/f
- No other i/f

Test performed again and U-boot silent

Another test performed without disks and the NAS was not reachable.

Any other suggestion ?

Thanks
carloph
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:43 pm

did you try the second LAN port ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2