Save original firmware for later restoration

Save original firmware for later restoration

Postby matzi » Sat May 24, 2014 6:22 pm

Finally I got a 5big2. Now I can't wait to install fvdw firmware. Before I do this I want to save all neccessary files or partions or parttition tables that are required tp restore the original state. This just as a precaution for eventual later selling. I am very curious what will happen with the pi... . So can you give me advice? I also could save one of the five HD's if that is enough, but which one?
matzi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Save original firmware for later restoration

Postby Jocko » Sat May 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi matzi,

if you bought a diskless it is useless to backup the lacie system partitions because there is a process to auto restore the lacie firmware.

http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/d2- ... ork2/reset
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby matzi » Wed May 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks Jocko, that seems easy.

One more question:
Can I use the HD of my NWSP2 as master disk in the 5big2?
I think I need to write the kernel to sda6, is that correct?
fvdw, could you pm that kernel?How to write it to the HD. Do I need to connect it to a linux PC and then dd if=... of=... ?
matzi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Wed May 28, 2014 10:54 pm

the kernel for nwsp2 and 5big2 is the same.
There are some small differences in the firmware of the 5big2 and nwsp2 but you should be able to use the disk of your nwsp2 in the 5big2 assuming it has version 15-1 or higher. Put it in the most lefthand slot. After boot you need to install the firmware for 5big2 using the web interface menu. This will install the specific files for the 5big2.
After that it should be fine.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby matzi » Thu May 29, 2014 8:59 am

That did not work. I plugged the disk from nwsp2 as you said in slot 1, other slots empty. Then switched on the device waited some time (aout 2 min). Then called the IP in a webbrowser. It shows a frame that is obviously created from lacie software (it has their design). In that frame there is an error message saying the network drive is not ready.

Then I plugged back the disk in the nwsp2 housing, booted it and got one gray hair more... . The webinterface is coming up as usual but the files are gone. Thanks to earlier care there was a databas backup which worked.

What was wrong? Can there be a problem with IP setting? The 5big2 was set to DHCP before and permanently set in the router, the nwsp2 was set to fixed IP. I got the frame in the webbrowwser under the 5big2 IP.
matzi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Thu May 29, 2014 9:55 am

:scratch

strange behavior, when it was from origin a disk less version it will try at boot to initialize any disks which is not formatted and then try to install the lacie firmware from flash. For whatever reason the 5big2 concluded that your disk wasn't formatted.
Are you sure that u-boot on the 5big2 is the original version ?

(slot 1 is the most lefthand slot seen from the back)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby matzi » Thu May 29, 2014 10:10 am

It did come with 5 disks 1TB disks installed and it still runs lacie original firmware. That is why i asked what to backup in my first post.

So it already knows valid disk No. . Do I have to modify that?

u-boot version is 1.1.4
matzi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Thu May 29, 2014 10:19 am

So it already knows valid disk No. . Do I have to modify that?

I don't understand what you mean ?

What happens if you have no disks installed and turn it on and otry to open the web browser ?

ps in the first trial the 5big2 didn't recognize you disk properly and tried to initialize but didn't succeed because to let it do that you need to press and hold the blue front button for several seconds. Lucky you did not do that because then it would have proceeded to format the disk and all you data would have been gone forever.
That it corrupted the nas database is also strange, that means it has accessed the disk...It doesn't make sense

if you have a spare disk then you could install fvdw-sl using the fvdw-sl console method. Then your nwsp2 disk can be added later if it runs as second disk
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby matzi » Thu May 29, 2014 3:50 pm

About the disk No. :
In one of the other threads there was a dicussion about a disc identifiier number that tha lacie controller checks when a disk is installed and by that means decides if it is new or if it was installed in that system or if it is from a different system.

Now my thought is: If the 5big2 controller checks this this number it sees that the nwsp disc is from a different system and therefore not accepted.

Different situation:
Meanwhile i tried to install fvdw firmware by the FVDW-sl console. I used a DHCP server in the 192.168.1.x range. Succesfully connected PC and 5big2. Loaded standalone kernel, transferred and started fvdw-sl-installer, run the installer. Then it fails when backing up existing partitions at sda8.
matzi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Thu May 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Based on this limited info I can not tell what could be causing this problem, what error did the installer mention ?
Ps you can find a backup of lacie firmware in this thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1402&start=20#p12278
It contains the files from sda8
Also it describes how to get the original firmware back :disapprove , you need something more then only the main partitionsr
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2