5Big Network2 fvdw-sl Fan/LED problem

5Big Network2 fvdw-sl Fan/LED problem

Postby blankw » Mon May 05, 2014 3:58 am

Hi again,
The NAS is working well with fvdw-sl 15-2, however neither the power led nor the fan are changeable. the "Power LED on" and off buttons in the web-interface do nothing, and neither does echoing fanon, fanoff, pledon, pledoff, blinkon, or blinkoff to /proc/resource_dump.

The fan is still off, and the drives are heading up to 41 degrees :?

Is there anything I can do to test things here? I know when I was trying to use the old LaCie firmware that there was an executable that could turn the power LED on and off (and I've found "fan_controller" in /usr/sbin of sda8).
blankw

Re: 5Big Network2 fvdw-sl Fan/LED problem

Postby fvdw » Mon May 05, 2014 7:21 am

blankw wrote:Hi again,
The NAS is working well with fvdw-sl 15-2, however neither the power led nor the fan are changeable. the "Power LED on" and off buttons in the web-interface do nothing, and neither does echoing fanon, fanoff, pledon, pledoff, blinkon, or blinkoff to /proc/resource_dump.

No those buttons don't work for 5big2 (read the help text), also echoing these words to /proc/resource_dump has no effect on the 5big2
There is a way to control the leds but that is not yet integrated in the firmware as it is let say a cosmetic feature, I will post it tonight when being at home

The fan is still off, and the drives are heading up to 41 degrees :?

Is there anything I can do to test things here? I know when I was trying to use the old LaCie firmware that there was an executable that could turn the power LED on and off (and I've found "fan_controller" in /usr/sbin of sda8).

There is a fan daemon active that will start te fan when disk temp reach 45 oC. It is speed controlled so starting slow.
I have a 5big2 myself and I tested it, it works. ;)
The webinterface will display a warning in the disk menu when the fan daemon is not active.
With using the command to list the running processes
Code: Select all
ps -ef | grep fan

you should get a line output with fan-d, this is the fan daemon

ps: /usr/sbin doesn't exist on sda8
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby blankw » Mon May 05, 2014 7:32 am

Aha, my mistake. Is there any way to start the fan at a lower temperature? I've just had a look at the fan-d and manually turned the fan on (via /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-003e/pwm1), just to see what the commands do.

EDIT: for reference, found out the led changing is done via /sys/class/led/net5big-v2:blue:power/trigger. Presumably it's not supported in the fvdw firmware yet because the binaries are hardcoded to use just "blue:power".

EDIT2: I modified my /etc/init.d/rcS to use the correct device for the leds (if product is 5big2) and am working on setting the fan to a constant low level in there too. :-D
blankw

Postby fvdw » Mon May 05, 2014 5:16 pm

Hello

the fan daemon used is fan5big it is in /bin_cab
fan-d in /usr/sbin is a symlink created at boot to this binary (fan5big).

When fan5big is started without any parameter it will use as maximum temperature 45 oC
You can start it parameter te set the max temp, for example
Code: Select all
fan5big 40

will set it to use max temp 40 oC
However at every boot the fan-d symlink is recreated an daeom i started, you could adapt the rcs script at line 428 to set the temp.
Be aware that if you mess up the rcS file that the nas won't boot anymore.

ps2 this fan driver is a little tricky, setting the wrong parameters in /sys could make it not working at all, just that you have been warned.

About the leds. yep you found already how to do that. The point is that on all devices the name of the leds is different. It is still on the to do list to implement it for all supported devices.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby blankw » Thu May 08, 2014 7:50 am

I ended up doing a quick and dirty "fan to 20%" PWM, and set the Power LED to "heartbeat" while it's booting, that way it looks different and is an easier way to diagnose if anything goes wrong. :thumbup

Please let me know if I can help out with the firmware, I'd love to be able to improve support for the 5big2 out-of-the-box (and maybe fix a few words in the English version of the firmware that could be improved, as I'm a native English speaker).

Thanks again for everything!
blankw

Postby Jocko » Thu May 08, 2014 7:58 am

Hi blankw,

Thanks for your translation improvement proposal.

You can find the English dictionary here: /usr/htdocs/includes/dictionary_en.php.

Please to keep all double or single quotes and other codes.

And so send us your improvements. :-D
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2