5big2-problem

5big2-problem

Postby luistrano » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:45 am

Hi.
I've downloaded your rel 15.1 to try to access my brand new 5Big-2 diskless, (filled with 5 brand new Barracudas 1T), never seen on my LAN, whatever procedures I've followed and despite all efforts and experienced work spent to access the device, via browser or via NetwAssistant.
So install a new FW seems to be the last chance.
Unfortunately at launch fvdw-sl-console.exe asks for a password: tried the 5 numbers in keyfile.txt but no way.
Maybe I've missed to read some info? Or what else...?
Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Luigi
luistrano

Re: Firmware Update 15.1

Postby fvdw » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:34 am

yes you missed to read the info :disapprove

the keyfile doesn't give the pasword..of course not it is encrypted :corner

the password to use is 33305 ;)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Issue with FW Update 15.1: fvdw-sl-console.exe asks for a pa

Postby luistrano » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi fvdw.
Of course my previous post was addressed to you.
I apologize with uelpenich and with you for the confusion, in case...
Many thanks for your support.
Obviously I'missed to read the infos on your sw upgrade but you must consider that in the last 2 days I've read here there and everywhere a lot of stuff concerning a possible solution to way out from the impasse.
So I hope you will excuse me...
I'm absolutely certain to have followed the right procedure exposed in the LaCie's little manual that comes with the NAS, which I've bought diskless with 5 brand new Barracudas from Amazon.
I got 35 years of skill in IT, I got a 5Big netw-1, a Space2 and a d2 working flawlessy and never I could imagine to encounter a real problem with that device....
Network Assistant seems to reach and charge the device only in RECOVERY mode: I've triyed to upload onto the 2.2.9.1 capsule (and Wireshark display a correct dialogue between PC and the 5Big at IP .1.250), but at the re-boot the NAS becomes again a ghost: no way to reach it and N.A. end the procedure saying that the
device is unreacheable.
Not to mention that all the reset procedures on the device pressing the Blue-switch forth and go are useless whatever you do....seems that the disks are never reached and touched, also if at the boot they starts and synchro to a stable blue sequence as all things were ok....

Anyway I've found your way, and I hope to reach a positive solution.
I'll keep you informed in the next days.
MAny thanks again,

Ciao,

Luigi

LS
luistrano

Re: 5big2-problem

Postby fvdw » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:46 pm

no offend Luistrano, I was only kidding, hopefully our tools will be useful to solve your issues with the 5big2
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby luistrano » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:54 am

fvdw wrote:no offend Luistrano, I was only kidding, hopefully our tools will be useful to solve your issues with the 5big2

I was sure you can't see any offend...just to tell you how much the story was complicated.

Embarassing how a seems-like-serious device can create problems and time-waiste.

Seems like at LaCie have built some treasure-hunt...

In the next week-end I'll try to use your sw and sort out from the situation.
Hope to give you some good news at the next post. Thanks!

Luigi
luistrano

Postby luistrano » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Hi fvdw.
I'm now trying to sort out from the deep-blue problem.
I've followed a first time your procedure but at present with not a big result...some little and some big issue...

Router in DHCP ON, assignable range from .1.250-1.253.
The boot-image I've found unzipping the 15.0 is not 149 (as in your instructions file) but 179, but I suppose is ok.

Anyway all seemed to flow at the best: device connected, pingable 251 AND 252, gdisk operating (verifying the work with the "p" option) until arrived the moment to format the partition sda2 in xfs mode: uploaded the mkfs.xfs to /sbin, listed it as present, blessed a first time with 755, launched, but...the bash warned me that the system don't find it!!!

Blessed the file 777: same result.
Supposed to be corrupted during the download, unzipping and ftp, I've regenerated it, uploaded again in /sbin and blessed again: no way. Tryed also "./ /sbin/mkfs.xfs etc": same result.

I've checked it with the "file" function into a PC supporting Linux-Mageia and it was a fine ARM executable... maybe the CPU on my 5big-2 is not a ARM...??? But, if so, why the O.S. commands were well operating until that point? Some dependencies are lost? But no way to investigate it: ldd is not a function present in the standalone kernel.

Anyway, at this point I've ignored the format of sda2 (can do later mounting the disk in the PC with Mageia...?), and tried anyway to arrive at the end. The final steps seemed ended flawlessy... Reboot...

Same old story. But with a big new!! The blue led after reaching for some seconds the solid blue starts to flash slowly and never ends, led-disk 1 in solid blue...and more: the ON/OFF switch don't operate, the device don't shut-off unless you disconnect the DC cable.

OK, we'll see... Inserted all the HDs. Fire ON.
Same old story resolving in the blue-led flashing slow and led-disks solid blue with non signs of activity.

Launched NetwAss in recovery mode and charged the last FW capsule. Restart.
No changes. No access via browser or ping .251/.252....

Launched again your telnet console with standalone kernel and launched gdisk for each HD: ah!! sda is present BUT WIDE, so are sdb and sde, sdd not present (?!), the only sdc displays all the system partitions onto, with the rights parameters.

The disco-inferno.... :fuming

Your opinion...? I'm curious.
That war is only at his beginning.

L.
luistrano

Postby fvdw » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:32 pm

I have little time today, some visitors, I will look at it this evening.
The fact that mkfs.xfs doesn't work is explainable. The standaolone kernel doesn't have glibc inside, so it needs a static compile version. The one in the package is a dynamic one.
Unfortunate compiling a static one is not so easy. Therefor I made a mini version of glibc to support the mkfs.xfs binary

You can find it here http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t ... 749#p13745

The rest will have to wait till later this evening
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby luistrano » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:34 pm

MAny thanks in the meantime...downloaded glibc just now, but I don't know if I'll got time to try a second tour: here it's the dinner time...
Hope to have explained clearly the issues: enjoy it... ;)

Luigi
luistrano

Postby fvdw » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:34 pm

which version of the fvdw-sl console did you use, I assume 5.3. And yes that contain the 179 kernel which you should use.

The 5big2 has an ARM 926 cpu but mkfs.xfs in the package needs glibc as explained in previous post.(my fault I should have mentioned that, but because vmsosa (the user that succeeded to install the lacie firmware) never complained about it I forgot about it.
Indeed you could format the partition 2 later on another PC or try to use the mini glibc package.

I assume you want to install the lacie firmware.
If you do that you need to repeat the procedure for all disk you ant to install, partition them and write the tar archive and kernel.

Also don't forget to write the LacieFirstBoot string as explained in the vmsosa topic (to all disks)

What you write on which disks are present and which one shows the normal partition table indicates that the devices nodes are not correctly setup as a result the sda looks like sdc. This is strange because the standalone kernel should set them up correctly.
You try to give the command udevstart at command line in the telnet client when running the standalone kernel. If this correct the problem then I must check the standalone kernel why it doesn't use udevstart.

--edit I checked the 179 standalone kernel, and it contains udevstart
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby luistrano » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi again.
Sure I've missed to write the LaCie signature on each disk: for some reason I was sure that your sw was charged to do this operation, so I've failed to read the related posts...Hope to find a slot of time tomorrow to do this job.
A little memento about that in your instructions file could help others to do a complete job...

Sda wide: in fact it seemed very strange also to me, moreover because at the first try I've mounted only the HD in slot 1.
However I will do the second try starting from scratch, avoiding to left not a single bit on the 5 disks, and repeating the procedure at each disk. Also in this case I wonder that the others 4 HDs were built-up by the device after the first reboot...

Of course at the moment I thank you so much for your patience and for your kind attention.
Hope to give you better news in the next post.

Have a good week, ciao

Luigi
luistrano

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2