All Shares Gone - Lacie 5Big Network 2

All Shares Gone - Lacie 5Big Network 2

Postby Patzag » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi.
I'm a complete newb here so feel free to refer me to some other thread.
I've spent the better part of the last 48 hours searching the web for solutions to this problem:

All my Shares have disappeared. The box boots up but the shares are gone. I have nearly 7TB of valuable stuff on there. I'd say that 65-75% is backed up, the the remaining 30% or so was not yet and so I'm very concerned.

I've never used terminal beyond copying data off a drive and although I'm not dumb, I know nothing about SSH and other things that have been discussed here.

So ... Anyone can help me here? :please

Cheers,
Patrick
Patzag

Re: All Shares Gone - Lacie 5Big Network 2

Postby fvdw » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:40 pm

was this 5big2 setup in a raid configuration ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Patzag » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:45 pm

fvdw wrote:was this 5big2 setup in a raid configuration ?

Yes, RAID 5
Patzag

Postby fvdw » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:49 pm

I am not a raid expert but one of our members is, maybe he pops in and can give support
For the meoment you can try if can get access to the 5big2 using our fvdw-sl console. It has a standalone kernel that runs from ram and starts a telnet client. With that you can do investigation of the raid array and maybe restore it.

The fvdw-sl console can be found in the download section
After installing it on your windows pc, choose the action load standalone kernel and follow the instructions
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Patzag » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:07 pm

fvdw wrote:I am not a raid expert but one of our members is, maybe he pops in and can give support
For the meoment you can try if can get access to the 5big2 using our fvdw-sl console. It has a standalone kernel that runs from ram and starts a telnet client. With that you can do investigation of the raid array and maybe restore it.

The fvdw-sl console can be found in the download section
After installing it on your windows pc, choose the action load standalone kernel and follow the instructions

Thank you very much. Down the rabbit hole I go! I'll report back results.
Patzag

Postby Patzag » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi.
I loaded the program on a windows computer (which took enough time as I'm a Mac user ;) .
IT looks like this stand alone console wants me to load a Kernel into the NAS. Is that correct?
Can this go back to its original state after or will I be "stuck" with this new Kernel and will this void my warranty?
Thanks.
Patrick
Patzag

Postby Mijzelf » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Patzag wrote:IT looks like this stand alone console wants me to load a Kernel into the NAS. Is that correct?
Yes, that is correct.
Can this go back to its original state after or will I be "stuck" with this new Kernel and will this void my warranty?
The new 'stand alone' kernel is loaded into (ram) memory, and won't touch the disks. By a simple power cycle every trace is gone. And so, no, it won't void your warranty.
Mijzelf

Postby Patzag » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:05 pm

Thank you very much.
One more question: Another person offered their help to guide me through the recovery process using a Linux computer connected directly to the drives.
Which of the two possible solutions - the Linux box or the console Kernel - would you suggest I use first.

Thanks.
Patrick
Patzag

Postby Mijzelf » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:07 pm

Actually there is no fundamental difference. The 'stand alolone kernel' is also just Linux. So as long as your 5Big2 doesn't have hardware difficulties, I'd go for the fvdw-sl console. It's just more convenient, and you won't loose your warranty, which you might when you remove the disks. (My 2Big2 had 'warranty void' stickers on the disk screws).
Mijzelf

Postby Patzag » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi. All I managed to do so far is log in using the console. Not sure how to proceed after that.
Any directions posted I could read or hint as to what I should do to try to recover the data?
Thanks.
Patzag

Next

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2