Please Help me with my 5Big Network 2

Re: Please Help me with my 5Big Network 2

Postby macdalor » Sun May 08, 2016 8:04 pm

fvdw wrote:Oops sorry, you want to install the Lacie firmware and not fvdw-sl. The console only has an installer for fvdw-sl firmware, my fault, I did not read your post carefully enough

:-D could be a nice addition to your console ;) thx anyway, I'll carry on with the initial guide then :)
macdalor

Postby macdalor » Mon May 09, 2016 6:48 pm

ok, I have to reinstall from scratch as after completing step 5 the NAS isn't available anymore...

FVDW, you've told me once before I had to use the UIMAGE-3142-NWSP2CL-KIRKWOOD-24-standalone file for the install of my 5BigN2 but this file isn't available with the new console.
I've tried the UIMAGE-3142-NWSP2CL-14 and the UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-150-standalone but the console doesn't connect via telnet (telnet timed out).

Am I selecting the correct file?
macdalor

Postby fvdw » Mon May 09, 2016 7:30 pm

You can use the standalone kernel from previous console on the 5big2 but the kirkwood-150-standalone supports more features and has already binairies build in that you have to upload in the previous version.
If the old one connects via telnet then also #150 should connect. Because you use a lacie partition setup the telnet client might timeout to quick. Just try te reconnect after a minute or so using the connect button ot the telnet client
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby macdalor » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi all! Coming back to this post as I have to revert to the (crappy) Original Lacie Firmware for a 5big2n in order to give it (sell it really) to someone and following the post I first got an error with:
format partiton 2;
Code: Select all
mkfs.xfs /dev/sda2

getting:
root@fvdw-sta-kirkwood:/ # mkfs.xfs /dev/sda2
mkfs.xfs: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Successfully passed it through by running the advice from hvymetal86 on this post: http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2210&start=10

But then getting another issue with this:
Next we write the lacie firmware and kernel to the partitions
Put the files in the tfpt subfolder of the folder where you installed the fvdw-sl console
upload files system for partition 7:
tftp -l sda7.tgz -r 5big2-sda7.tar.gz -g ip-pc

getting:
tftp: server error: (1) File not found

Looking into the tftp folder I seem to be missing the sda7.tgz file.

Running version 6 of the fvdw console.

Anything I can do to help going through this at all?

Thank you!
macdalor

Postby fvdw » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:36 am

Did you replace "ip-pc" in the command by the actual ip address of your pc?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby macdalor » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:36 am

I have just noticed the procedure says in step 7 "Put the files in the tfpt subfolder of the folder where you installed the fvdw-sl console"
Next we write the lacie firmware and kernel to the partitions
Put the files in the tfpt subfolder of the folder where you installed the fvdw-sl console
upload files system for partition 7:
tftp -l sda7.tgz -r 5big2-sda7.tar.gz -g ip-pc
(replace ip-pc by actual ip addres of your pc running the tftp server of the fvdw-sl console)

Where are those mentioned files?
macdalor

Postby macdalor » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:57 am

forget my last comment, I found out the names don't actually correspond so carrying on the process replacing files names...should be back soon ;)
macdalor

Postby macdalor » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:05 pm

ok, managed to install the (crap) lacie firmware after many back and forth in the forum... :punk

However now the box doesn't autoupdate...I tried what's in the post http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=236&t=5501 but no results...

As anyone got an answer to this at all?

Cheers!
macdalor

Postby macdalor » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:59 pm

additional info: Although I have 5x 1TB drives in, only the first one is added and counted as part of the total box space and when going to RAID configuration, the following is listed for choice:
Select your choice:
Without data loss
None
With data loss
RAID 0 (999.1 GB capacity)
RAID 5 (1.1 GB capacity)
RAID 6 (805.3 MB capacity)

Also, I tried a manual update with no results, the box reboots but no update is actually applied...

HEEEELP PLEEASE
macdalor

Postby fvdw » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:21 pm

mmm.. my knowledge of the lacie firmware is limited. So I do not really know what could be the cause :dontknow
But a suggestion, not very likely but you never know. Maybe the firmware thinks the firmware you want to install is older then the one on the box, did you use the right update file ? (was it a newer version then what is installed now ?)

or you need an upgrade to a version between the one installed and the latets one as the newest firmware may not be compatible with the upgrade method of the old firmware

for example read the info on this page http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/d2- ... rk2/update
Seems you need to do something different if you have 2.0.x or 2.1.x versions
Unfortunate the link given on this page for older firmware seems to be broken.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2