NAS not reacting at all

Re: NAS not reacting at all

Postby fvdw » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Yes thats the best you can do, trying another router.
Seems this one drops the connection for whatever reason. For sure it is not the kernel as we use it very frequent without problems like this
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby jmparisot » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Hello,

So I tried again with a different router. But same result.

I wonder if it is really some hardware issue after all :/

You mentioned that with the new kernel it would be possible to boot from LAN2 as well? I tried, it installs the kernel via ftp, however the telnet cannot connect to the address strangely. What could that be?

Do you have any idea what else could be the problem or what I could try? I am really running out of options :thinking
jmparisot
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:05 pm

About second lan port. What you could try is after loading standalone kernel and connecting with telnet to connect a second utp cable from router to the second LAN port.
Then in telnet window give commands
Code: Select all
ifconfig eth1 up
ifconfig eth1 ip2

Replace ip2 with an ip that fits in your lan setup so first 3 octets same as your pc and forth octet by a number between 2 and 255
Forming an ip number not in use by another device in your LAN. For instance 210 example (xxx.xxx.xxx.210)
To see if the second lan port is active and if it has the right ip address, use command
Code: Select all
ifconfig eth1

After that connect with a second telnet session to this new ip2

Ps why do you use 192.168.188.xxx ? Although it should be no problem and the standalone kernel and telnet should be able to handle it, you could do as trial with your seperate router to use the standard lan ip setup eq 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx and allowing an ip pool covering all ip's between 1 and 255

Long shots:
1. clean the lan connector plugs (bad contact)?? In 5big2 but als your pc

2. Assuming you use gigabit LAN, your lan connection might be instable when using gigabit speed. That could be because of wrong type utp cable. Instead of gigabit connection you could set up your lan router an pc to use 100 mbits instead of gigabit.
Funny is that you can upload a kernel and the required programs without issue and only loose connection after some time of inactivity on the connection and happens at different moments. That points me to a bad connection or instability issue.

3. Your pc lan interface has a problem

4. As it seems you lose connection when starting to format a partition we might have a problem with power supply of 5big2. With disk activity more power is needed. If the power supply cannot supply it the kernel might crash. But I then would expect that it would fully shutdown. When you lose connection can you establish connection again with telnet client without rebooting the standalone kernel?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby jmparisot » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:24 am

So I tried with LAN2, however it is the same behaviour. Also downgraded the speed of the LAN connection to 10Mbps, but still the same result.

I wonder if I should send it back to Lacie so that they can check it for hardware issues. Is the Lacie firmware still on it or will they notice that I tried to install a different kernel?
jmparisot
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:04 pm

If you put in the original untouched disks then they will not notice anything. The standalone kernel runs from RAM and leave no traces. If you put in a disk that you have used to install the fvdw-sl firmware, so with a new or no partition table they will notice that it is not a standard disk.
Is this device still under warranty? If it is not, sending to lacie might be costly excersise. If you want you can sent it to me and I can have a look at it. I live in the Netherlands. If want to go that route pleae sent me a pm
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 am

Hi jmparisot,

jmparisot wrote:I wonder if I should send it back to Lacie so that they can check it for hardware issues.
Sorry but Lacie (Seagate) makes no longer any assistance for this device type (only Intel version)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Previous

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2