no nas found

no nas found

Postby twcabern » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for making these resources available. I read all 20 pages of the massive thread and tried to soak up what I needed before I started this ...

I'm working with a 5Big Network 2. I installed the fvdw-sl image using the steps provided in the console. Just one disk in the drive. I chose the gpt option. It did some file copies and partitioning. Formated like 14000 inodes, then a reboot -f. It looked great.

When it came back up, I was unable to find it on the network using the fvdw-sl assistant. Tried rebooting the box a couple times. Tried waiting a long time. Tried manually scanning the network range. No luck.

- Should I try again with an msdos partition? The fvdw-sl console and install process seemed to work fine. I'm using (the original) 2tb disks. I don't _need_ gpt, I just chose it because it was recommended.

- Or maybe it needs DHCP? It's plugged into a Dell PowerConnect 2724 switch, isolated from the rest of our network. No dhcp. I've assigned IPs to the switch and the laptop I'm working from. Hasn't changed since I did the install.

It still responds to the console boot just fine. I can access root from telnet and run any exploratory commands you'd like.

Thanks for any help!

- thomas
twcabern

Re: no nas found

Postby fvdw » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:17 pm

did the installer mention that the firmware was installed succesfully ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:23 pm

Hi,
twcabern wrote:- Or maybe it needs DHCP? It's plugged into a Dell PowerConnect 2724 switch, isolated from the rest of our network. No dhcp. I've assigned IPs to the switch and the laptop I'm working from. Hasn't changed since I did the install.

If you did not change the default settings, your NAS needs a DHCP server to get its IP.

But you can change this by set a static IP from the lan setup menu. So put your NAS on the LAN where you have your DHCP server and go to this menu to select the wanted settings and then go back the NAS behind your switch.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby twcabern » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:36 pm

Thank you. I'll try that. I just didn't want any wild hacks overwriting things on our network until I understood them better. Seemed like it would be the simpler option. Alright, I'll introduce it to a DHCP server and see where that takes me.

- thomas
twcabern

Postby twcabern » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:54 pm

Yay! Found the nas with DHCP. The web interface is fairly slick. I like it.

I'm setting up the rest of the raid now. After I get that done, I'm going to try pairing the nics.

Thanks again, guys. Wonderful project. Love it.

- thomas
twcabern

adding disks

Postby twcabern » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 pm

Hello again

I've been unable to add disks to my fvdw-sl firmware version 16-1 system. I found the directions to do so. I'm stuck on this step.

"Switch off your nas before adding the other disks in the free slots and then reboot." I can't get it to boot.

I might have screwed that bit up. System is up and running on sda. I put a second disk in (while it was up) and left work. While I was away, I read the "extra disks" directions. Realized I'd made a mistake, figured "what the hell?", and rebooted the NAS remotely. When I came in today it had two nice pretty blue lights, and I figured it was going to be ok. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to access it in any way, web, fvdw assistant, or telnet.

I shut it down and pulled the second disk. Boot back up, everything is groovy. Works great on one disk, got ssh, web, etc. Shut it down, insert the second disk, boot it, and it's once again inaccessible.

What do you recommend? Perhaps stick the second disk in a Linux box, wipe it with gparted, and try again? Maybe there's something in your toolkit that I could use to wipe it?

Sorry about the silly mistake here. My fault. I appreciate any help.

- thomas

ps ... nic bonding works great! love the web console too!
twcabern

Postby Jocko » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:56 pm

twcabern wrote:When I came in today it had two nice pretty blue lights
That would mean your 2d disk has already a partition table with formatted partitions but I do not understand why you lost all NAS access in this case :scratch (on 2/5 big network I would have understood...)

anyhow remove all partition table on it and try again to plug it in the NAS
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby twcabern » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Yes, I've got a 5Big Network 2. I only added one additional disk so far, that's why I was just talking about two of them.

I'll have to tear apart another machine in order to put this thing in and format it. Gonna take a while. I'll report back.

thx
- thomas
twcabern

Postby twcabern » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:49 pm

Hrm. This is not going well.

I used an external drive attachment to check out the #2 drive. It shows an unformatted 3.5 gb partition in Windows Disk Manager. Windows DISKPART sees it as a blank disk 3950mb, runs a CLEAN command without errors, doesn't know that this is just a partition, and refuses to address the rest of the disk.

Code: Select all
DISKPART> list disk
  Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          931 GB      0 B
* Disk 1    Online         3950 MB  3950 MB

DISKPART> list partition
There are no partitions on this disk to show.
DISKPART> clean
DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.
DISKPART> list disk
  Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          931 GB      0 B
* Disk 1    Online         3950 MB  3950 MB

Ok. Nobody likes Windoz. Let's try Linux ... and Linux doesn't like it at all. Lots of r/w errors. If I ignore them all, gparted shows me pretty much the same thing, an unformated 3.86gb disk.

I figured maybe my disk was hozed. Tried a different one from the set in slot 2. Inserted it, booted the machine. Lots of flickering and noise. Eventually I got two pretty blue lights. No web interface, no SSH. I'm betting it's just as broken as the first one was now. :[

Before I break anything else, do you have any suggestions? I'm thinking about burning the whole thing down and trying again with msdos partitions.
twcabern

Postby Jocko » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:45 am

Hi twcabern,

It seems you have some issues with your 2d disk.

So I advice you :
- use tool of the disk's manufacturer on your laptop to check it
- make a hot plug in your 5big2 and then post:
Code: Select all
dmesg (wait 2-5" after plugging)
fdisk -l /dev/sdb (if you have a gpt table you have to see 1 protective partition)
gdisk -l /dev/sdb
cat /proc/partitions
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2