xfvdw-sl-12-1-isp1-9jun2012

xfvdw-sl-12-1-isp1-9jun2012

Postby johan72 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:09 pm

Updated firmware, all went just fine.

Did notice a wrong device name being showed during Step 2.
Nothing serious, it's not a big deal.
wrong_device_name.jpg

Also applied the patch right after updating the Firmware.
There I noticed, the visbile part of the textbox will not show the whole command.
Yes I can use my cursor to check the entered command.
In fact I did not need to check because I copied and paste it right from the thread. (being lazy, I admit)

small_textbox.jpg

again a god job from fvdw and jocko
thanks for sharing your efforts with us.

Grtz
Johan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johan72

Re: xfvdw-sl-12-1-isp1-9jun2012

Postby fvdw » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi johan, glad to hear you like the upgrade

:doh

the upgrade menu is for all Lacie devices the same we should remove nwsp1 and 2

and indeed the text box of the upload file menu could be a little bigger :mrgreen:

The good news is that you have your rename share feature Johan :whistle

I will post soon the add-on for logitech mediaserver, that should also run on the isp1.

ps did you get the auto notifcation that there was a new version of the firmware ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi fvdw,

No did not receive an auto notification, just checking forums this evening, and found goodies. :hail

Yeah am really glad to see the share rename has made it. :-D
Logitech mediaserver sounds good aswell, am already very pleased with FireFly.
The ISP1 serves over 50.000 mp3 files already, still have some hdd's and download dirs to clean out.

These kinds of functionality improvements and additions are really great, and is all that counts in my opinion.
(makes me forget about a forgotten label and small textbox instantly)

Which brings me to another suggestion for developing:
After upgrading the media servers were stopped. I had to press 'start' and 'enable boot on reboot' per wanted media server.
You might consider in, saving the media server status within the firmware upgrade steps and use the saved state upon 1st boot after an update.
I realise some people do not want this, so maybe a radio button on the firmware update menu, something like 'Restart media servers after update Y/N'

Keep up the good work, I for sure appreciate all efforts.

grtz
Johan
johan72

Postby Jocko » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi Johan,

Thank you for your encouragement that helps maintain our efforts to improve the firmware.

About the available update announcement, it is only visible with the menu information (in page top). We had placed it here to avoid permanently display the announcement which could annoy the user.

As the user can disable the display of announcement (option in the Other Settings menu) I think it would be better to move it in the home menu what make easy reading.

What do you think?

About your last suggestion, it seems difficult because these options are not currently saved in the database.

@+
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Jocko,

I think it should get a place more obvious, not that deep as it is right now.
If fdvw didn't ask about it, I would not even have seen and enabled it. :-)

You might consider in writing last state info into the database, could be helpfull in other scenarios.
Right now the Media Servers menu, sees and detects configuration files, why not last state aswell?
I do realise that data presented with an gui, is not always stored that flat as its presented.

A total other suggestion, and I know its not the right place to bring it up.
Why not use Radio buttons (Y/N), with Labels next to it.
That would make the GUI lots better for the eyes, saves you developing time, and opens better Multi Lingual support.

- The radio buttons can be alligned and positioned better, giving a faster readability to the user.
- It prevents the buttons having different sizes depending on the Button name. (which is language dependent)
- Its no longer needed to show the status with an string, the button itself shows the current status, wich can be user interpreted as: Y/N, 0/1, Enabled/Disabled.
- You can keep the language labels out of your code, and use Multi Lingual Label files.*

suggestion2.jpg

I know these kinds of changes do not add a thing to the functionality, do take some time to accomplish, and from developer view at first will not pay back the effort.
But when done, it really do saves time and gives back flexibilty and not being bothered with button sizes.
And if not already been used it opens more ease to support other Languages.
You might consider in storing the text blocks in the same file, then you can update/change textblocks within menus without rewriting or recompiling code/objects.

* Presuming you do not use labels already. :-)

Do not feel attacked or offended, I don't know your code, haven't seen it, I'm just speaking my mind.
I myself only understand: VB, C/SIDE C/AL, SQL and a tiny bit of C#

it's just my thoughts.....
grtz
Johan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johan72

Postby Jocko » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi Johan
johan72 wrote:You might consider in writing last state info into the database, could be helpfull in other scenarios.
Right now the Media Servers menu, sees and detects configuration files, why not last state aswell?
I do realise that data presented with an gui, is not always stored that flat as its presented.

You are right. but we have to totally change the way how are managed media servers. Today, data is stored on partitions that are overwritten with the upgrade. So aditional development, must we look if it's worth.

johan72 wrote:Why not use Radio buttons (Y/N), with Labels next to it.

Yes, we can do this. The layout of these menus is provisional (Basic development...). For the menu "others settings", there would be an issue with the led status ( I don't know if we can get it). An ask for fvdw :scratch

No problem with your suggestions, we appreciate when there are feed-backs by the users. :)

Note : I succeeded to create an object to select a file or a folder on the NAS for filling fields like the home directory of users, the additional config files FTP or NFS,...So in the next release, there are no longer these manual inputs.
select_object.jpg

Good WE
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:53 pm

Didn't notice it before, but when starting iTunes client on my Pc, I noticed the Firefly servername was back to default.

Connected to the IS, to check up settings, and yes all settings were lost during FW upgrade and set back to default.
(Servername, Admin Password, Added Folders)

When chaning the settings, with every change I did, I got an yellow bar down the window stating an Error has occured.
But strangely despite the error mentioned the change was carried out.
johan72

Postby fvdw » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:30 pm

mm...a bug detected :scratch
When setting firefly sever enabled at boot and you reboot the nas it seems to use the mt-daapd.conf configuration file present in /etc folder of the system partition
When you manually start the server using the web interface of the NAS it will use the configuration file in /share/1000/mt-daapd

The files in the /etc system folder are the default ones when doing a firmware upgrade. The files in /share/1000/mt-daapd not as those are in a different partition. And via that way the settings are maintained.

You can see which configuration file is in use when opening the web interface of firefly and clicking configuration.

We need to make a correction in the main boot script of the NAS to solve this issue and let it make use of the correct configuration file when you have set firefly enabled at boot.
We will adapt in the next release. Thanks for pointing us to this error.

For the moment you have a few options but none of them is ideal
(1) don't use enable at boot option and start the firefly server manually after boot.
(2) set up the server after manually starting it and copy the mt-daapd.conf file from /share/1000/mt-daapd to the /etc folder (via ssh access, putty or winscp). If you do that then restoring default settings will not be possible anymore as you have overwritten the default configuration file.
(3) setup the server again after having it set to enable at boot and after rebooting the server.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:27 pm

maybe a bug or maybe its not.
Today my IS went off the grid several times.

With off the grid I mean following:
-not to be found with network discovery, nor via DNS or IP address
-power is on

After disconnecting AC Power, it boots, but no LAN discovery, but accessable by DNS and IP.
Then I moved some files during an hour or so,... and then again it disapeared.

all with no errrors or what so ever, again disconnect AC, no discovery, direct DNS and IP, moving files, after a while it again disapears.

Ony one, any idea?

Nothing has changed on my network, clients or whatsoever.
Only thing I did recently was the firmware upgrade of the IS.

grtz
Johan
johan72

Postby fvdw » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:59 pm

:scratch could be a router issue when it is no longer visible in the LAN but unlikely, it could be that the isp1 is hanging or waiting for something.

Does a ping to the IP adress still gives a response ?

You could keep a Putty ssh connection open to see when it disappears if that connection still works, if not then it might be a problem with the samba server

what happens if you do nothing (so no file copying) after reboot, does it stay online ? (could be a bad sector issue on the hdd )

(could also be a NFS issue, do you have mounted external NFS shares ? if the external NFS server is no longer accessible than this can cause the NAS to hang as it tries desperately to restore the connection and it will stop responding to other tasks. Thats not a bug but the nature and of NFS mounts and sharing.

If it worked before ok with he new firmware then it is caused by something after installing the firmware (I assume logitech server is not running). You could rre-intsall the firmware once more to exclude that a file has gone corrupt in the firmware
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie Internet space vs1