Test result: xfvdw-sl-12-0-isp1-23mar2012

Test result: xfvdw-sl-12-0-isp1-23mar2012

Postby johan72 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:38 am

Downloaded, installed, everyting seems to be running perfectly.
The changes I've seen, are looking great....

thanxs for all efforts
Johan
johan72

new Firmware upgrade method

Postby johan72 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:09 am

Did some read up regarding the new Firmware upgrade method.

My first impression, and thats just an impression there has not been an update yet so no hands on experience.

1) Why do we have to create a file share "fvwd" manually?
It could be created automatically, or maybe by using a button!
The share name is fixed, not configurable, the path is predetermined as well.

2) What properties have to be given to this "fvwd" share?
Has it set to be Public Y/N ?

greatz
Johan
johan72

fileshare options

Postby johan72 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:23 am

Really do like the graphical presentation, do have a suggestion to it.

Fileshare_overview.jpg

It would be a nice addition if the given Comment (Label name) would be showed aswell.
I realize that a admin (firmware user) should know about the existing shares, so maybe its just decoration.

When making a new File share the Samba option is missing in the Advanced Access section.
Fileshare_new_share.jpg

Opening the file share details on "minidlna" share shows me this.
Fileshare_minidlna.jpg

The Samba option is shown.

Is this a bug? or did I do something wrong?

greatz
Johan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johan72

Re: Test result: xfvdw-sl-12-0-isp1-23mar2012

Postby Jocko » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:14 am

Hi Johan,

I hope that changes will continue to please you...

About the samba option, it's not a bug but normal behavior. :whistle
To answer other members who want hide the technical shares, it only uses to disable these shares such minidlna in the samba server.

The shares which have this option, are : tr-daemon;minidlna;twonkymedia;mt-daapd;oxylbox;cronjobs;mediatomb

For other shares that doesn't really useful, and therefore this option is not available.

But I just realized that help file says nothing on this point! :dry (so something to add)

Good WE
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:48 pm

thanks for the feedback Johan, much appreciated :thumbup

Why do you think the firmware upgrade menu is new ?. No changes are made in 12-0, only the firmware will now show only the lacie menu if you have a lacie and the spd8020 menu if you have a Philips.

The upload file menu is in fact meant for patches and indeed we could create the fvdw share automatically if it doesn't exist yet. Good tip

As Jocko explained the samba check box only exists for "technical" shares that you do not want to have listed by the samba server or media servers. So normally those are hidden. But it can be handy to make them visible if you want to fiddle with settings or other trials you might think of.
For all other shares samba is enabled by default so it has no use to have a check box
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Jocko wrote:Hi Johan,

I hope that changes will continue to please you...

About the samba option, it's not a bug but normal behavior. :whistle
To answer other members who want hide the technical shares, it only uses to disable these shares such minidlna in the samba server.

The shares which have this option, are : tr-daemon;minidlna;twonkymedia;mt-daapd;oxylbox;cronjobs;mediatomb

For other shares that doesn't really useful, and therefore this option is not available.

But I just realized that help file says nothing on this point! :dry (so something to add)

Good WE

Hi Jocko,

In my opnion the firmware is already great :applause and upon today its still geting better, how about that !!
The Samba option was my own request, still wondering how I missed the tech folders/shares only part. :thinking
I agree it's only usefull to the tech folders.

A minor consideration, why not always show the Samba option, and enable/disable it depending the selected folder/share.
(disabled=grayed out) Place an asterisk next to it, referring to the help file.
This will cause users being more aware of the functionality.

Have a nice weekend too, enjoy the sun....
grtz
Johan
johan72

Postby johan72 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:34 pm

fvdw wrote:thanks for the feedback Johan, much appreciated :thumbup

Why do you think the firmware upgrade menu is new ?. No changes are made in 12-0, only the firmware will now show only the lacie menu if you have a lacie and the spd8020 menu if you have a Philips.

The upload file menu is in fact meant for patches and indeed we could create the fvdw share automatically if it doesn't exist yet. Good tip

As Jocko explained the samba check box only exists for "technical" shares that you do not want to have listed by the samba server or media servers. So normally those are hidden. But it can be handy to make them visible if you want to fiddle with settings or other trials you might think of.
For all other shares samba is enabled by default so it has no use to have a check box

Hi fvdw

Ok technically the firmware upgrade menu is not new, but to me as user it really has quit some changes, so you might see it as new or renovated. ;)
Previous you had to browse the file locally, then upload (step 1), then execute (step 2) , then Reboot (step 3), all to be done with a mouse click.
Now, you have to create a share, copy the firmware file to the share. Manually enter the firmware file name in Command box 1, enter a second Command in box 2 and click on Accept.

It's not hard and or difficult to do, again as I said some times earlier I can life with it.
You guys do a great job, whatever you do, I enjoy using the firmware.

A suggestion to the upgrade procedure

The new "fvdw" folder, will almost always be a single file folder.
I remember Jocko explaining to me, the file is being tested/probed in the process to make sure the content matches the device.

Why not check the content of the "fvdw" share upon opening the firmware upgrade page.
Probe/test all present files, present the filenames with a description revealing the firmware version.
In this way the user can see/compare the current firmware version against the found file versions.
Give the user the ability to select and execute. (offcourse with some warnings and so on.)
Or only make it possible to select execute a higher version.

The Samba part, I understand...
Have a good sunny weekend

Johan
johan72

Postby Jocko » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:45 pm

johan72 wrote:A minor consideration, why not always show the Samba option, and enable/disable it depending the selected folder/share.
(disabled=grayed out) Place an asterisk next to it, referring to the help file.
This will cause users being more aware of the functionality.

Have a nice weekend too, enjoy the sun....
grtz
Johan

Yes Johan72, I think its a good suggestion
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:00 am

johan72 wrote:Hi fvdw

Ok technically the firmware upgrade menu is not new, but to me as user it really has quit some changes, so you might see it as new or renovated. ;)
Previous you had to browse the file locally, then upload (step 1), then execute (step 2) , then Reboot (step 3), all to be done with a mouse click.
Now, you have to create a share, copy the firmware file to the share. Manually enter the firmware file name in Command box 1, enter a second Command in box 2 and click on Accept.

:o

then there is a mistake in the firmware of the ips1, the "normal" upgrade menu with the three steps should be there as well beside the "upload file" menu that you described. This upload file menu is for uploading patches only, not full firmware, as system files that are in use can not be overwritten when the NAS is in use. In the new firmware we made some adaptations that only features that can be used on the device are shown. So in case of the firmware upgrade menu a spd8020 user will only see the spd8020 menu and a lacie user only the Lacie upgrade menu. In previous version you saw both. That caused confusion and mistakes

mmm..need to look at that were the error is.
I will take the isp1 upgrade oflline for the moment. As missing the upgrade menu will make it hard to perform next upgrades.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Johan and fvdw,

I found the problem, there is a bug in a file :dry (coding error of the platform)

I sent you on your PM, a tar file used with the menu "upload" for testing

Jocko
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie Internet space vs1