IS vs1 vs IS vs2

IS vs1 vs IS vs2

Postby mistert » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm brand new here, thank you for this project that allow abondonned product to get back to life.
My IS vs2 (fresh out the box, not able to be initialised with the CD) lead me here.
Sorry if it's the wrong area for this new topic but I was not able to find any topic for the IS vs2...

So I'm wondering, is the firmware for IS vs1 compatible with IS vs2 ? :hammerhead

Thank you for your help !

Edit: After been through a lot of pages from this forum I found out that I should use nwsp2 firmware for my IS vs2.
https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=109&start=50
I will keep diging but what a waste of time just to find out this...
By the way I'm still looking for the "Installation Guideline fvdw firmware" pdf... :hail
Edit: Finally just found it here: https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=109&start=60
Last edited by mistert on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
mistert
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: IS vs1 vs IS vs2

Postby fvdw » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:49 am

The internetspace v2 has a kirkwood 6281 cpu. The firmware made for the networkspace 2 should run also on the internetspace 2.
Note the IS2 has only 128 MB ram, NS2 has 256 MB.

For installation we suggest to use fvdw-sl console (see download subforum)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby mistert » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:54 am

Thank you for your answer, i will dig in download subforum.

Edit: Tried the console way, tenet relfused by target. Let's try the unmount way.
mistert
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby mistert » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:43 pm

Hi folks, moving forward but stuck.

I succeed to instal nwsp2 fvdw-sl 11.0. Unmounted way, fdisk was not working as the guide so I used Gparted to create the partitions.
From what I understood I need now to upgrade to 15.3 (https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3059, xfvdw-sl-15-3-nwsp2-30may2014.bin, using the firmware upgrade menu in the fvdw-sl web interface as it says) but it failed.

error is :
"Step 2 of the upgrade firmware of the Lacie networkspace vs1 or vs2 failed
(1) A verification test may have failed before writing the firmware, reason see error message on screen, no changes are made
(2) The actual writing of the image may have failed or verification of the image after writing, see error message, the active partition is not changed and the NAS will continue to use the old firmware version at boot.
(3) Platform file in firmware upgrade package differs from that of the running system, upgrade aborted
You used a firmware upgrade file that is not suitable for your NAS.
The network space 1 needs a different image then the network space 2
Reboot the NAS to remove the wrong upgrade files and use a firmware upgrade file that is made for your device."

Using console failed also, error: telnet timed out.

I feel stuck and lost again, what would you do ?
mistert
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:37 am

This is caused by the fact that your device is not recognized as a network space 2. I have to look at 15.3 to see how to omit that check. But similar issue will happen at further upgrades. It would be much easier if you can get the fvdw-sl console working to install 18-1 directly. Read this topic https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2645 to see what can cause telent time out.

As alternative you could connect to you is2 using ssh server (user: root, password: giveit2me).
At the linux prompt give these commands
Code: Select all
cd /etc
rm platform
echo nwsp2 > platform

Now try to upgrade 15.3 using the bin file for nwsp2
Note. When nas performs a reboot the platform file will be reset to isp2, so you need to do same again when upgrading to higher versions
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby mistert » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:19 pm

Hi fvdw,
Thank you for your support.

ssh ok, commands don't reply errors. Then tried to upgrade to xfvdw-sl-15-3-nwsp2-30may2014.bin using the firmware upgrade menu in the fvdw-sl web interface, get the following error :
"Firmware upgrade step 2 started...
Firmware upgrade failed, upgrade process aborted, reason:
fw upgrade could not unpack firmware package, not a valid format"

I will try again the console in the coming days.

Cheers
mistert
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby mistert » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:51 pm

Still have telnet refused (only one network card active and FW off).
Also I don't see the progress of the uploading of kernel before the telnet window. Another hint maybe, I realized when waiting for UBOOT that the isp2 is not responding to ping, but later on it is responding to ping.
mistert
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:54 pm

mistert wrote:Hi fvdw,
Thank you for your support.

ssh ok, commands don't reply errors. Then tried to upgrade to xfvdw-sl-15-3-nwsp2-30may2014.bin using the firmware upgrade menu in the fvdw-sl web interface, get the following error :
"Firmware upgrade step 2 started...
Firmware upgrade failed, upgrade process aborted, reason:
fw upgrade could not unpack firmware package, not a valid format"

I will try again the console in the coming days.

Cheers

Hi

first check if your bin file is not corrupted, here its md5sum :
ddcbcac1bb628e36e8687f879e90394b  xfvdw-sl-15-3-nwsp2-30may2014.bin

If you get the message "fw upgrade could not unpack firmware package, not a valid format" that would mean the tar command failed to untar it. This may also happen if there is no enough space on tmp folder (for example if sda5 is not mounted)
As you did not use fdisk to set partition table, maybe you have a wrong partition table. So please to post (use your SSH access)
fdisk -l /dev/sda
mount
df /dev/sda5
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby mistert » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:50 pm

Hi Jocko,

md5sum is confirmed

the result from code:
root@:/ # df /dev/sda5:
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5               330236     16904    296288   5% /rw_fs
Last edited by mistert on Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mistert
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:40 am

So you set a wrong partition table because total space on sda5 should be around 757MB instead of 330MB as you set.

This size should not allow to uncompress the bin file even just after rebooting NAS because free space is not enough : bin size is around 71MB and to uncompress it at least 261MB (256MB fw image + 4MB Kernel image + some additional small files) are required. So 332kB (you have only 296MB)

Then you have to reset your partition table and re-install fvdw-sl version 11 again or use fvdw-sl console. About fdisk there are some versions where settings use by default sector instead of cylinders. In this case you have to use option -u to swap it

Do you noticed this message ? http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=336#p25965 which set the right partition table with bigger size on system partitions (x2)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie Internet space vs1