mainboard fix

mainboard fix

Postby matt_max » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:07 pm

Hi guys,
I had to turn off my very old (but still functional) Lacie Network space v1 (white case) because of some sort of rearrangement in my workplace. After that I wasn't able to start it on again. The blue led light is flashing, I can hear disc spinning for about 10 seconds and after that it stops and is complety unusable. I cannot connect to it, I cannot ping it - nothing. It is not the disc fault. I can connect it to pc using any sata adapter and I can see all partitions etc.

So I decided to open my Lacie and eximine the pcb inside. The capasitors were in a bad shape so I solder new ones. It is still non functional. Than I noticed that two components on the pcb are very hot. So I think there is a short ciruit.

There is no boardview online. So can you guys help me to identify these two components?
I think that first one is marked as "C84" and second is some kind of controller marked as "IC9". I will try to read the markings printed on it but they are very small and barely visible.

internet_space_v1_back.jpg

Can somebody be so kind and help me? :please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matt_max
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: mainboard fix

Postby fvdw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:53 pm

I have an internet space v1 and it sometimes doesn't boot with similar behavior as you describe. I leave it connected for a while with power on and then try again a power off/on after 15 minutes, then most of the times it boots. About the components you mention. These are smd components which are very difficult (impossible) to replace and even if you are able to read the id then still you will need a component list to see what exactly the component is.

What you could do is connect to the serial port to see if the bootloader is active and tries to load the system
Also you could try to connect with the fvdw-sl console and use uboot console available in the fvdw-sl console
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby matt_max » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:53 pm

First of all I'm sorry for very long delay. I was able to buy portable lcd digital microscope I read the smd markings:
K47
But I'm still unable to identify this component.

I tried to leave it connected for half an hour and then power off and on again - nothing,
fvdw-sl console cannot find it,
serial port connection - no luck.

Right now I'm out of options :(
matt_max
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:53 pm

serial port connection - no luck.

Did you try to use it or do you not know how to connect.
If you do not get output on serial console then my conclusion is that your ns1 is dead. Smd is almost impossible to replace. Maybe you can find another nis1 on ebay or better a network space v2
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby matt_max » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:17 am

I do not know how to connect to the serial port.
I think pcb is not dead because even network leds are blinking but I was not able to find this device in my network.
matt_max
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:03 pm

Blinking led of ethernet connector can also be caused by your router or network switch. Anyhow to check if your internet space is dead or not you will need to connect to the serial port. This can be done using a usb->232 TTL 3.3 volt serial connector cable. I must have somewhere a picture from serual connector on internet space 1. I will post when I have found it
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:20 pm

I found have a picture of internet space 1 serial connector
I used a nokia-ca42 cable (cut of the phone plug plug and connect some cables, see picture)
Nokia-ca42.jpg

The gray cable is TX (pin 8), the green cable = RX (pin(7) and the blue GND (pin 2) (with this nokia cable no need to connect 3.3V (pin 1))
serial-connector-isp1-wire-connection-nokia cable.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby matt_max » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:02 pm

Ok. I've got FT232 usb. I was able to connect via serial port (serial port speed should be set up to 115200). Look at this:
Code: Select all
         __  __                      _ _
        |  \/  | __ _ _ ____   _____| | |
        | |\/| |/ _` | '__\ \ / / _ \ | |
        | |  | | (_| | |   \ V /  __/ | |
        |_|  |_|\__,_|_|    \_/ \___|_|_|
 _   _     ____              _
| | | |   | __ )  ___   ___ | |_
| | | |___|  _ \ / _ \ / _ \| __|
| |_| |___| |_) | (_) | (_) | |_
 \___/    |____/ \___/ \___/ \__|  ** LOADER **
 ** MARVELL BOARD: DB-88F5182-EDmini-V2 LE

U-Boot 1.1.1 (Sep  3 2008 - 07:36:51) Marvell version: 1.7.3 - LaCie version: 1.3.4

DRAM CS[0] base 0x00000000   size  64MB
DRAM Total size  64MB
Flash: flashStructGet manu 0xff id 0xff
[0kB@fff80000] ## Unknown FLASH at fff80000: Size = 0x00000000 = 0 MB
Flash:  0 kB
Addresses 20M - 0M are saved for the U-Boot usage.
Mem malloc Initialization (20M - 16M): Done
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Soc: MV88F5182 Rev 2
CPU: ARM926 (Rev 0) running @ 400Mhz
SysClock = 200Mhz , TClock = 166Mhz

USB 0: host mode
USB 1: device mode
PCI 0: PCI Express Root Complex Interface
PCI 1: Conventional PCI, speed = 33000000
Net:   egiga0 [PRIME]
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

Flash is corrupted?
matt_max
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:04 pm

I am not at home right now, uboot seems to be loading, so no flash not corrupt. Are you able to get a marvell>> prompt (stop autoboot)
If so we can do several actions to check your board
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby matt_max » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:22 pm

Yes I was able to stop autoboot and get marvell prompt. Tomorrow I'm going to install new 2Tb drive so we can try to install new system. Thank you for your support.
matt_max
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Next

Return to Lacie Internet space vs1