i locked myself out, I guess

i locked myself out, I guess

Postby Outdoorwilder » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi,

I think i did something stupid to my Nas. I updated to the last version (fvdw-sl 15.0) and everything was fine. Then I needed to transfer a lot of data, and because the network is so slow, I took out the HDD and copied the data directly. Later on I changed over ssh the rights and there I must have changed the rights of some firmware data ( I am fairly new to linux). I think I changed several files with chmod or chown (oups).
However, I can not connect over http to the NAS anymore. I get an "access forbidden" response. But I still am able to ssh to the NAS. So I could fix things if I knew which.

Can anybody tell me which file I have to change to acess the web-gui again? Or is it possible to reset the firmware over ssh rather than the web-gui? That would be perfect.

Let me know if you need more information, I am not sure what is relevant.

Thanks a lot

Christian
Outdoorwilder

Re: i locked myself out, I guess

Postby fvdw » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:15 pm

you can install fvdw-sl-15-0 once again, that will restore the system files and permissions. Your personal data will be unchanged
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Outdoorwilder » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks, that sounds good. But is it possible to install over ssh? Because I cant access the gui.
Could you point me to a command ( sorry, that is probably a very basic question)

Thanks for your help ;)
Outdoorwilder

Postby Jocko » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi Outdoorwilder,

Yes you can do it via the shell access and I wrote a small howtodo but you need the firmware image file and I am not yet at home to attach it.

So wait around 1 hour so that I can attach the image file.

Do you still have samba access ?
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Luckily, you still have a shell access and you can do it manually.
- unzip the attached file to the share fvdw to get the firmware image : xfvdw-sl-15-0-nwsp2-28sep2013.img
With Putty :
- check if the image file is not corrupted
Code: Select all
 md5sum xfvdw-sl-15-0-nwsp2-28sep2013.img
278a97863a4d6d9d6a6e3a37a91ed30f  xfvdw-sl-15-0-nwsp2-28sep2013.img
So you must get as md5 value :278a97863a4d6d9d6a6e3a37a91ed30f and reload the file if md5 is wrong.
- Look at the content of /lacie-boot. You should find a file: "sdaxboot" (x is 1 or 2)
ls /lacie-boot

if you find sda1boot you go to copy the firmware image on the partition 2 and reciprocally on the partition 1 if you have sda2boot. Here the command to copy the firmware image on the partition 2. (Change sda2 by sda1 for copy on the partition 1)
dd if=/share/1000/fvdw/xfvdw-sl-15-0-nwsp2-28sep2013.img of=/dev/sda2

- If you get no warning, change the content of /lacie-boot so that the NAS starts on the new upgraded partition :for booting on the partition 2
mv /lacie-boot/sda1boot /lacie-boot/sda2boot
(swap sda?boot for booting on the partition 1)
So if all are ok : no warning when you copied the firmware, and you have the right sdxboot file in /lacie-boot, you can restart the NAS. In the other cases, leave the NAS running to keep the shell access.

! As version 15.0 uses new data in the nas database you can not downgrade the firmware. So never remove the file "sdaxboot" or swap it without copy the version 15.0 on the new boot partition.
You can lost all access to the NAS after rebooting !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Outdoorwilder » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:48 pm

Perfect, worked like a charm. Thank you very much for assistance! :applause :applause

At this point I would like to point out that you guys do a great job. That Lacie was a useless piece of hardware with the original fw. I was so angry with it's performance until I found your project. Thanks for that! :applause

Christian
Outdoorwilder

Postby Jocko » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:52 pm

Thank for you for feedback and glad to heard that you fixed your issue
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie Internet space vs1