HDD crash

Re: HDD crash

Postby Jocko » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:23 am

Hi Bramozzzz

Do you enable "Temperature Guard Hard Disk" in the disk setup ? and maybe the NAS reached the max temperature ??? (by default 50°C)

Other explanation do you set with cron menu a job "Nas shutdown" in the menu "Schedule Servers" ?

There is no other settings in the firmware that could explain this behaviour. :scratch
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Bramozzzz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi Jocko,

Both the temperature guard and cron are disabled but the nas still won't stay up for more than half a day. I checked my router settings but a first glance I didn't find anything! Even set the DHCP lease time to 3 days just to be sure, but that doesn't fix anything either. Don't know where to go from now. Suggestions are more than welcome :hammerhead
Bramozzzz

Postby Jocko » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi bramozzzz

Maybe I don't understand well what you wrote previously.

When you write
I noticed the ISP1 stops working after a period of inactivity

You means that the power is off or you have no longer access to the NAS (samba, ssh, ftp,....) but power is still on ?
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Bramozzzz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi Jocko,

Sorry for the late response but I was busy the last few weeks. What I meant to say is that the NAS keeps working (power is on) but I don't have any acces to the NAS (can't login, no dlna, etc).
Bramozzzz

Postby Bramozzzz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:26 am

Hi, first of all I wish you all a happy new year!

My Internet Space still doesn't work after a period of inactivity :hairpull

I have to manually reset my isp1 every time I want to use it. I can for instance watch 5 hours of movies without any problems and when I go to bed and want to connect to the isp1 in the morning it doesn't work anymore. Before I installed the new HDD I didn't had any problems whatsoever....

Here's what I've done sofar:
- reset my router and upgraded it to the last FW
- switched all applications to off on the isp1 with no result
- now it's only running minidlna and transmission. Switched the temp monitor to off and there's no Cron job in the queue.

I don't know what I can try next, any thoughts anyone?
Bramozzzz

Postby fvdw » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:50 am

happy new year bramozzz

well it must then be something with your new hard disk, probably it spins down after a period of inactivity and then doesn't wake up when you try to access it. There is a daemon running that spins down the disk using a standard hdparm command, it might be that your harddisk has a bug in the firmware of the hard disk itself.
What you could do is start up the isp1 connect with putty and kill the daemon that is switching off the disk after inactivity
Connect via ssh server by using forinstance putty.
The daemon has name noflushd.
Typicall you will see this line in program running (command: ps -ef | grep noflushd)
Code: Select all
root       813     1  0  2013 ?        00:08:10 /usr/sbin/noflushd -n 10 /dev/sda

It means it will try to spin down your disk when 10 minutes no program access the disk.
To stop it give this command
Code: Select all
killall noflushd

No the above line should no longer be present and see what happens, of course the disk will keep spinning now continuously
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Bramozzzz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi fvdw,

Thank's for the quick response, I've executed the commands you provided. The upcoming hours will tell if it worked. I will post my results later on the day!
Bramozzzz

Postby Bramozzzz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:50 pm

I just tried to connect to my isp1 again and no luck. When I went to my device the disk stayed spinning up and down all the time. I unplugged the power cable and it took a couple of attempts before it booted correctly again (rest of the time it just kept spinning up and down).

I also did a bit of research on the disk I bought (a WD Green 2TB HDD) and it seems to have some sort of algorithm embedded within it's FW that controls the spindown of the disk (WD calls it IntelliPower). Can this have anything to do with it?

When approaching it after the last reboot with SSH I got the following response:
root 679 1 0 23:14 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/noflushd -n 30 /dev/sda
root 933 930 0 23:27 ? 00:00:00 sh -c ps -ef | grep noflushd
root 935 933 0 23:27 ? 00:00:00 grep noflushd

It seem to have reset again to the standard settings. Any other thoughts on how to work around this?
Bramozzzz

Postby fvdw » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:10 pm

indeed it will load the spin down daemon again at boot. To change that we need to change the boot scripts. But first we need to know if this is a solution.

I use a WDC WD30EZRX, western digital caviar green (AF) and that works ok

"it just kept spinning up and down" this is not caused by our firmware, seems to me that your disk may have a problem or...it could be a problem of the power supply of the Lacie.
I have an isp1 myself and the other day when trying a new kernel I found it didn't want to boot. I changed the power supply (I used one froma nwsp2) and voila up and running without a problem. It could be that your new disk requires somewhat more power then the old one at start up and therefor you have these problems
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Bramozzzz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:42 pm

I doubt the disk has an error cause when it's operational it functions perfectly. When your first solution fails I will try to boot it with an alternative power adapter. Although it seems to have more than sufficient power/amperage (12V 3A provided while only about 1.75A needed) maybe a change in adapter will solve the problem.

For now it still is up and running, I will post if it's still working tomorrow morning. Thanks so far! :applause
Bramozzzz

Previous

Return to Lacie Internet space vs1