adapting fvdw-sl firmware for isp1 trials

Re: Read this before using fvdw-sl on lacie internet space

Postby fvdw » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:17 pm

some reading and studing of the edmini_v2 learned me that in the lacie scripts the command halt is used to shut it down, seems a little doubtful to me if this will solve it because halt calls shutdown similar as poweroff, but lets try what happens, so can you try what happens if you perform a halt command in putty

Code: Select all
sync
halt
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:57 pm

halt command gives the same result as the earlier poweroff.

-no connections
-LAN LEDs active
-Blue Power LED is on
-HDD not spinning
-No response on power button
johan72

Postby fvdw » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:03 pm

I expected that already, furthermore I found that solving it requires writing a bit somehere in the flash memory of the device, that bit determines if the system will reboot when using the reboot command or poweroff. In the poweroff state it is not really powered of and U-boot is waiting for someone to press the button on the back. I do not have time to figure this out on this moment in detail and implement it in the kernel, so it will be on the low priority to do list, I want to spend the time I have now on the release of version fvdw-sl-9-0 for all supported devices.

So for the moment I propose to include the standard poweroff and reboot sym links pointing to busybox in the firmware image for the internetspace. At least the reboot command works ok. The poweroff not completely but it seems to halt the internetspace and really powering it of is then pulling the power plug after performing a poweroff via the webinterface, which is save as the system seems to be halted. This is already an improvement as pulling the power on a running system is not save ! )

In the webinerface scripts for reboot and standby (poweroff) first the running programs are shutdown before executing the command so the procedure should be save.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:07 am

I agree with giving this an low priority, most NAS devices will run 24x7, an PowerOff is usually caused by other external influences. :)
For administrative purposes a clean Reboot is the needed solution, using the symlinks would satisfy this need.

As an IS user, I'm already very satisfied with all the progress achieved, great job fvdw !!

Came across this forum just over an month ago looking for an firmware, found it I thougt,.. nope it was for an NWS :(, well you know that part. :)
Now just over an month later, the IS is already taken in and made part of the family, thats really really great!

I hope this forum will get more IS users, a bigger adience will be good for us all and will help you in getting feedback.
That brings me to a point in wondering where are other IS users?
Threads are being visited, topics are being viewed, files are being downloaded,... but no postings or replies by other users?
It can't be that I'm the only user of this product, wanting a 3rd party firmware!
But then again, maybe it's to soon for these kind of questions.
johan72

Postby fvdw » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:45 pm

yes I also ask myself these questions..there are many "silent" users so to see, would be nice to get some more response.
On the other hand I think the internet space was not sold so much as the network space and maybe there are less users. However the ISP1 is more powerful then the nwsp1 because it has more system memory and as such is a better device, but I think most buyers do not know the difference.

With making the firmware suitable for the ISP1 we in fact did it for two devices as the EDMINI_V2 uses the same kernel and also boots from sda7 and having its kernel in sda6 so the same setup as for the ISP1 will work as well on the EDMINI_V2 :D
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:02 pm

I remember buying the IS for family/relatives 3yrs ago, at the Paradigit store for somewhere around €70-€80.
It's a nice device and has nice potential, it's a pitty that LaCie dropped the soft-/firmware support on it so soon.
The client software is really outdated and not properly maintaned, it gives lots of problems with Windows 7 and java.
I expect lots of users will abbandon the IS in the near future, due to the lack of proper software support and the 100MBPS LAN.
But this might open opportunities for the "tweakers" amongst us.
johan72

Postby fvdw » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:40 pm

johan72 wrote:....
I expect lots of users will abbandon the IS in the near future, due to the lack of proper software support and the 100MBPS LAN.
But this might open opportunities for the "tweakers" amongst us.

indeed, fully agree

ps about 100 MBPS lan remark (I assume you mean 100 mega bits per sec)
Than I think you made a mistake, the internetspace LAN interface supports gigabit network
see dmesg output, on your LAN it seems to run in that mode. ;)
Code: Select all
EXT3-fs (sda8): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
eth0: link up, 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, flow control disabled

(also with original Lacie kernel)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:08 pm

If the version 9 seems stable enough, we can do a little advertising for our alternative firmware in several forum... ;)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:28 am

Indeed my mistake, in fact 2 mistakes.

1st an not intended CAPS LOCK, it should be 100Mbps. (thanks for pointing that out to me)

2nd I assumed the IS had 100Mbps LAN but forgot that it's connected behind an 2nd switch.
To quote some one "Assumptions are the mother of f^ckups.", I should have checked the facts!
johan72

Postby fvdw » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Johan

a small change in the installation guide is required.

The default system will get name "fvdwsl-base" (this instead of SPD8020-base)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lacie Internet space vs1