adapting fvdw-sl firmware for isp1 trials

Re: Read this before using fvdw-sl on lacie internet space

Postby johan72 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi fvdw,
All is going just fine over here, have been very busy with renovating my home, no holiday for me this year :-(
The Internetspace is still running, haven't found time yet to test it completely, will get more spare time soon.

did find some bugs......
1) I'm not able to change systemdatetime. (see enclosed screendump)
LaCie-IS500-datetime_failure2.jpg

2) The "Reset Server" button does not work, it gives an message stating that it will restart,.. but all it does is showing the msg.

3) I think the LCIS is not able to go in PowerSave mode, am trying to get hands on a AMP / Power measure device.

Regarding the debug part, attached you will find the boot.log (after a hard reboot) Keep in mind i'm not able to adjust the system datetime.
Therefore it contains some bullsh^t dates, the message file is attached as well.
boot.rar

messages.rar

Thanks for guiding me around with Putty and commands to use, I remembered using WinSCP in the past, so now I have an GUI :)
Johan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johan72

Postby fvdw » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:59 pm

thanks Johan, boot.log and messages looks normal. Only the RTC seem to be not working as the hwclock commands fails (see messages).This also the cause of the error message you get when setting date and time manually. Actually the date and time will be set but you will keep getting the error message as the firmware tries to write is as well to the hardware RTC clock.
( I assume you have are using 8-1-beta that has the fixed inside for the "date" command, if you didn't implement that then the manul date/time set doesn't work because of a bug (see comment in download section for nwsp1 and date/time bug in development section.)
To check if the time was set properly just open the the date-time menu again and you will see that the time and date are as you have set. of course after boot they will be lost, best solution is to let them set by internet.
This bug, not working RTC is also present in the current kernel of the nwsp1, I posted in the development section a new kernel that should solve this problem on the nwsp1. Unfortunate that will not be possible for the internetspace yet as I can not compile kernel for it (yet)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm using the v8-1 beta1 version.(1.2.9.fw fvdw-sl 8.1.beta1)
Indeed after poening the datetime menu again, it shows me the datetime as manually set before.
Did follow up on using a ntp server, this option does not accept DNS entries, had to resolve the IP adress to succeed.
( DNS: ntp1.nl.net IP: 193.79.237.14)

Regarding your debugging and compile possibilities, would it help If you had your own InternetSpace ?!?
Right now, I have 2 in my possession, 1 in use, 1 as non-touched Spare.
As it now seems I will get a 3rd one in about 2 weeks time.
I consider donating one for the greater cause. :)
Let me know how you feel about that.
johan72

Postby fvdw » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:09 pm

:mrgreen: that would be very nice to do some trials, and it will be more convenient then posting solutions here and wait for test results.
As I see it now we could just try a lucky shot method. I could compile a kernel for the edmin V2 which is supported in the orion git of the linux kernel and use as mach number 526.
I think we have a high chance to be succesful looking to the kernel output reported by dmesg command if the IS, it mentions that it is an edmini v2 board. The mach number 526 is used by almost all Lacie devices produced in that time like the networkspace 1 and edmini V2 , very likely that the IS uses it as well.
If i can find some time I will compile a kernel for testing.. :ugeek:
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:54 pm

Johan

about reboot and standby. Those commands are in the firmware adapated for the nwsp1 and sp8020 as they use a non standard method. Therefor logical that they won't work on the IS1

You could test if the normal linux commands work on the IS1 by restoring those settings
To do this delete the files /sbin/poweroff and /sbin/reboot
Code: Select all
unlink /sbin/poweroff
unlink /sbin/reboot

then restore the original sym links for reboot and poweroff
ln -s ../bin/busybox /sbin/poweroff
ln -s ../bin/busybox /sbin/reboot

Now try if these commands power off and reboot the IS1 by giving in putty the command poweroff or reboot from the command line in putty.
It is wise to give the command "sync" before giving the command "poweroff" or "reboot" to avoid data loss
Sync writes all data present in caches to disk.

If after making those changes the reboot and poweroff works we can make two small scripts to make the buttons in the web interface for reset and standby do the right job
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:39 pm

Johan,
I could not resist the challenge and I compiled a kernel this evening for the IS1, it is the setup for the edmini_v2 with using mach number 526. Can you try if this kernel works on the Internet space 1 ? :mrgreen:

To test unpack the zip archive and write the kernel to sda6 using the dd command as you did with the original kernel.
dd if=/path-to-file/uImage-26331-1-isp1 of=/dev/sda6

There is little risk to my opinion, it will boot or it won't boot. If tit won't boot you can again write back the original kernel.

if this kernel works then also the kernel modules in the firmware should be loaded and as result the firmware will become fully functional. If needed we can also replace the modules dedicated compiled for this kernel. But as it is the same version as used in the fvdw8-1 firmware they should load. A "dmesg" output will show if they are loaded at boot or not.

Looking forward to your test results 8-)

--edit 2sept 2011
I removed the trial kernel as it was compiled using a new version of the gcc compiler but it seems that it gives not reliable results. To avoid that you waste your time by testing this kernel I think it is better to compile it once more on a reliable compiler. In the weekend I will compile it with the compiler also for the nwsp1/spd8020 and nwsp2 kernels...

--edit2 2sept2011
ok I finished recompiling the kernel using the compiler also used for the other kernels
Hopefully it will run on the isp1 8-) :mrgreen: see attachement

uImage-26331-2-isp1.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Ok very nice work, will try it out tomorrow.
My findings will be posted right here ;)

edit 2011-09-02
Ok fine, I already opened my spareunit and dismounted the HDD.
I'm ready for it :)

attached an updated installation guide:
-added original partition table index.
-some minor lingual changes.

edit fvdw file removed as it is outdated
johan72

Postby fvdw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:17 pm

thks for the update manual Johan

I finished recompiling the trial kernel with the "reliable" compiler. I attached in the post above as
uImage-26331-2-isp1

looking forward to hear if it works :D :ugeek:
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:40 pm

Ok the results with the trial kernel..... :shock:

It boots, I even think its booting faster, but thats just a first impression not backed with proof. ;)
Was able to setup and change my LAN setup, Time (ntp).
Did not have time to completely test it all, did get the boot.log and the dmesg output.

greetz
Johan

boot.rar
dmesg.rar

PS reboot and Power-down do not work.. will do the commands replace for that in the morning.
johan72

Postby fvdw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Seems the magic is done Johan and that the assumption that we can use edmin_v2 setup was correct :mrgreen: :ugeek:
Now we have a (modern) kernel for the ISP1 that is fully compatible with the fvdw-sl firmware :D

I looked at the output of dmesg and it looks perfect, no errors in loading of kernel modules, even the RTC clock driver is found and loaded :shock: :D sometimes a problem can be solved easily..

ps to see if and which the modules are loaded you can give in putty the command
lsmod

To get ntfs support for reading and ntfs write driver support and the ntfs and fuse module must be successfully loaded

But I quite sure that they are loaded fine and it seems we can add the ISP1 to our list of supported devices !! a nice result.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lacie Internet space vs1