adapting fvdw-sl firmware for isp1 trials

adapting fvdw-sl firmware for isp1 trials

Postby fvdw » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 am

edit 3 sept 2011

we succeeded to compile a new kernel for the internetspace fully compatible with the fvdw-sl firmware
In the forum downlad section a package is added that can be used for installing fvdw-sl firmware on the internet space vs1. With a big thank you to Johan72 for testing the kernel and firmware, thanks to him we can add support for this device. He also adapted the installtion guide for the internetspace

So the text below is no longer valid anymore

rgds fvdw

The lacie internet space has different hardware compared with the lacie network space vs1 or vs2

This means it needs a dedicated linux kernel, a kernel compiled for the network space will not run on the internet space. Currently the fvdw-sl firmware can not be supplied with a dedicated kernel for the internet space, maybe in future it will be added if the mainboard is supported by (vanilla) Linux kernel.

However it appears you can use the fvdw-sl firmware on the internet space in combination with the original Lacie internetspace kernel when you accept some limitations.
Features not needing kernel dependent stuff will work like the samba (file) and ftp server and also the media servers and torrent clients.
Some features like ntfs write support or nfs server won't work as they need kernel dependent stuff

Some user have done it and it this forum you can read their experiences.

To install the fvdw-sl firmware you can use the how-to guide for the networks space vs1 with one change !
Use the Internetspace kernel instead of the nwsp1 kernel.
You can get the the internet space kernel from the original disk of your internet space, it is present in partition sda6. To copy it connect the original disk to a PC running linux using a sate->usb connector and use the command:
Code: Select all
dd if=/dev/sdb6 of=uImage-internetspace

Note it is assumed in this command that the disk is present as /dev/sdb on the PC running Linux.

Use this kernel instead of the one in the fvdw-sl package when preparing a new disk for the internetspace to run the fvdw-sl firmware
But remember not all features of the fvdw-sl firware will work. To solve that we need a dedicated compiled kernel.

edit 3 sept 2011 as said the dedicated kernel is now available and the isp1 is fully supported in the fvdw-sl firmware, all features work :ugeek:
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Re: Read this before using fvdw-sl on lacie internet space

Postby johan72 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:32 pm

@fvdw
Nice to see an dedicated forum regarding the LaCie Internet Space devices.
I took the liberty to use your "first time installation guide" and modified it, to be used by newbies in combination with the IS device.

I'm not sure if the Original partitions sbd2,sbd6..sbd9 are used in the same matter as on the NWS.
This weekend I will retreive the original partition table form my untouched IS, to complement the Guide.

Meanwhile any suggestions, comments, feedback on the Guideline is greatly appreciated.

TIA
johan

edit fvdw, file deleted as it is outdated (see latest version in download section)
johan72

Postby fvdw » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:42 pm

it looks good Johan 72 ! Thks for your contribution

Maybe it is a good idea to post the original internet space kernel as well so we can make a package similar like for the other devices, or for those that last the original HDD.

ps about partition table
this is what I copied fro the other user that did install it:
(he used a 1 TB disk)
Lacie internet space partition table

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *          63     6136829     3068383+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2         6136830     7197119      530145   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3         7197120  1953423674   973113277+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4      1953423675  1953520064       48195    5  Extended
/dev/sda5      1953423738  1953471869       24066   83  Linux
/dev/sda6      1953471933  1953487934        8001   83  Linux
/dev/sda7      1953487998  1953520064       16033+  83  Linux

more partition info internet space

/dev/sda:  x86 boot sector
/dev/sda1: Linux rev 1.0 ext3 filesystem data (needs journal recovery) (large files)
/dev/sda2: Linux/i386 swap file (new style) 1 (4K pages) size 132535 pages
/dev/sda3: Linux rev 1.0 ext3 filesystem data (needs journal recovery) (large files)
/dev/sda4: x86 boot sector, extended partition table
/dev/sda5: data
/dev/sda6: PPCBoot image
/dev/sda7: Linux rev 1.0 ext3 filesystem data

sda7 contains a minimal root filesystem, probably binded with sda1

anyhow the kernel is loaded from sda6 and then it looks for a linux system in sda7
This is the comand line used by u-boot to load linux
Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda7 ro

that's why we can use the same method as for the network space vs1

PS. Could you post also here the output of "dmesg" command ?
(connect with putty to the internet space after booting the firmware and give the command dmesg at the command line). It will give some info on how well the system has booted and maybe some input for improvements
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:48 pm

As requested, attached the Original Internet Space kernel.
grtz
Johan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johan72

Postby johan72 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:05 pm

@fvdw
Tried to connect to the InternetSpace using Putty, get a response, but did not succeed to log on.

Did try 2 usernames: 'root' and 'admin'
Both with the password as configured by me in the firmware.
Also tried the <default> password 'admin'.
Do I need other credentials for Putty?
johan72

Postby Jocko » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Johan

I think you have confused the firmware login with the login for SSH access. ;)

Look at help for the menu SSH access:
The username to be used is "root" (without quotes)
The default password for this user is "giveit2me" (without the quotes)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:01 am

Jocko,
Didn't confuse them, did expect them to be the same, like on my Synology NAS. (in the past I used Putty to update the Packages on it)

@fvdwv
Attached you will find the wanted "dmesg" output

lacie-is500-dmesg-output-20110805.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johan72

Postby fvdw » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:49 pm

thanks Johan

From a quick look at it from my holiday address I conclude it looks not too bad. Of course the kernel modules of the 2.6.33.1 kernel cannot be loaded but maybe some are already included in the original kernel.
There seems to be an issue with the lan driver (eth0) but maybe you did some experiments
To get ntfs write support on usb port enabled we will need the "fuse" kernel module (fuse.ko) or the kernel ust have been copiled with fuse enabled. To have the nfs server working the kernel must have been compiled with nfs support. You could just try to start to nfs server and see what happens, same with ntfs formatted usb disk
and then try to enable write support.
In the firmware there is possibility to boot the device in debug mode, that will start the syslogd and produces a log file, also the boot.log will be more detailed in this case. When I return home I will send you a adapted file to enable debug
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby johan72 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi fvdw,
I haven't experimented with the LAN config (eth0).
I dit list the MAC address into my router DHCP table, so it con always connect through DHCP getting the same IP.
Will test the NFS part soon.
You wil have to help me with the debug, am not so seasoned with this kind of activities.

Enjoy your holiday,
johan72

Postby fvdw » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi johan

how are things running on the internet space ? any bugs/problems detected ?

Holidays are over so we can continu the work to improve the implementation on the internetspace vs1

about debug. In the firmware there is a file that has a setting that disable or enables debuging
Its in the sytem directory /etc/inc and has name globals.inc
Replace that file by the one in the attachment.
After that reboot the NAS, now the boot.log file will give more info and also in the directory /var/log there will be a file with name messages containing message from the system itself

How to copy the file ?
unpack the zip archive and put the globals.inc file in a share of your NAS for instance the share with name "public".
Now connect via SSH using putty and copy the file to the right location using this command (assuming you have put it in the share "public"
cp /share/1000/public/globals.inc /etc/inc/globals.inc

success and let us know the results by posting the content of the file boot.log in the root of the system file system and the content of the file /var/log/messages after rebooting

globals.zip
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie Internet space vs1