Installation from scratch

Installation from scratch

Postby paros » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:06 pm

I have a NWSP2 (2tb).
Get several warnings when creating partitions according to the guide.

/dev/sda1 Start End Blocks ID System
1 64 514048+ 83 Linux

"Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary"

I get the same messages on more partitions when installing creating partitions.

Shall I go through starting with "1" or start with a higher number (start)?
paros

Re: Installation from scratch

Postby Jocko » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Humm,

You should use an old version of fdisk. Look at :
151. fdisk: Partition 1 does not start on cylinder boundary

A: The version of fdisk that comes with many Linux systems creates partitions that fail its own validity checking. Unfortunately, if you've already installed your system, there's not much you can do about this, apart from copying the data off the partition, deleting and remaking it, and copying the data back.

You can avoid the problem by getting the latest version of fdisk, from Rik Faith's util-linux package (available on all the usual FTP sites). Alternatively, if you are creating a new partition 1 that starts in the first cylinder, you can do the following to get a partition that fdisk likes.

Read more: http://stason.org/TULARC/os/linux-faq/1 ... z1ovoSCMPR
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:14 pm

did you set fdisk to use cylinders or sectors ? you can switch between those modes using -u command in fdisk (you should use cylinders)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby paros » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:35 pm

fvdw wrote:did you set fdisk to use cylinders or sectors ? you can switch between those modes using -u command in fdisk (you should use cylinders)

I'm not a "Linux user"...

I saw something about this "using -u command ", what do I type to change it?
And do I need an other version of fdisk?

I have the update files on the USB disk that I use to boot up linux (debian) on.
How to I copy the files (what is the correct syntax) to the folder on the harddrive?

I have tried this, but doesn't work: dd if=/dev/sdb/UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-9 of=/dev/sda6
The USB disk is sdb and the harddrive is sda.
paros

Postby fvdw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:20 pm

when you are in fdisk you have a line like
command (m for help):
type "u" behind it (without the quotes) it then will switch to either sectors or cylinders, dependent on what the current setting is

indeed dd if=/dev/sdb/UIMAGE... will not work, :disapprove you have to use the path to the file as written in the guide
The path is the folder where /dev/sdb (the usb device) is mounted you should that and not /dev/sdb as prefix
On linux system usn devices typcally are mounted on a folder /media or a subfolder of that
You can also first change to the directory where the UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-9 file is and then use
Code: Select all
dd if=UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-9 of=/dev/sda6
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby paros » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:33 am

fvdw wrote:when you are in fdisk you have a line like
command (m for help):
type "u" behind it (without the quotes) it then will switch to either sectors or cylinders, dependent on what the current setting is

indeed dd if=/dev/sdb/UIMAGE... will not work, :disapprove you have to use the path to the file as written in the guide
The path is the folder where /dev/sdb (the usb device) is mounted you should that and not /dev/sdb as prefix
On linux system usn devices typcally are mounted on a folder /media or a subfolder of that
You can also first change to the directory where the UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-9 file is and then use
Code: Select all
dd if=UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-9 of=/dev/sda6

I try switching between sectors and cylinders. This time I get the first available value of 64 when trying to create a primary partition.

Can someone give tell me which version of linux I should use to get the correct vwrsion of fdisk. (I am running Linux from a USB penndrive).

This is silly, I am not an expert in Linux in any way, but why should it be so hard!?
paros

Postby Jocko » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47 am

Hi paros

Yes, for a non linux man, the effort may be important but the satisfaction will be even greater with success. :crazy

Did you use the following link : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69#p217?

I never had a problem with knoppix.

So download last version of the image iso and burn it on a CD.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:59 am

paros wrote:
I try switching between sectors and cylinders. This time I get the first available value of 64 when trying to create a primary partition.

when you get 64 you are using "sectors" setting of fdisk. (Thats wrong)
Its not hard but if you are not familiar with Linux I can image it is not straight forward.
But you have to read the message that appears on your screen and the the howto guide carefully. That will make it easier. If you use the "u" command fdisk mentions that it changed to either sectors or cylinders, I told you that you have to use cylinders.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby paros » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 am

Jocko wrote:Hi paros

Yes, for a non linux man, the effort may be important but the satisfaction will be even greater with success. :crazy

Did you use the following link : http://www.plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69#p217?

I never had a problem with knoppix.

So download last version of the image iso and burn it on a CD.

This is getting on my nervs!

I have now downloaded 2 different iso images of the english versions below:
ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_V6.7.1CD-2011-09-14-EN.iso
ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_V6.7.0CD-2011-08-01-EN.iso

Burned them in 2 different programs.

But when booting up, I get this error code:

Knoppix 6 found at /dev/sr0
Starting in LIVE-mode

Compressed KNOPPIX image is broken: /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX on /dev/sr0 on /mnt-system type iso 9660 (ro,relatime)
[ 24.736163 cloop: Bad file, read() of first 4096 bytes returned 5.
Could not mount /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX. Starting debugging shell...
SH: Cant access tty; job control turned off.
paros

Postby paros » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Ok, so for some reason It works to start KNOPPIX when I change the CD-player (never have been a problem with the previous one)...

I create the partitions according to the guide and using "u" to change to cylinders and sofar so good (OK).
When i Press "p" I get the same warnings as before:

/dev/sda1 Start End Blocks ID System
1 64 514048+ 83 Linux
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary

Should I ignore it and continue or is there a actual problem?

I also get warnings about bad performance when running "mke2fs -j -m 1 /dev/sdb5"
paros

Next

Return to Lacie Network Space vs2 and max version